Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
Turkey has "completed" the purchase of the S-400 air-defense system from Russia, Turkish Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli said on Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The S-400 is Russia’s most advanced long-range anti-aircraft missile system and can carry three types of missiles capable of destroying targets, including ballistic and cruise missiles.
It can track and engage up to 300 targets at a time and has an altitude ceiling of 27 kilometers (17 miles).
"In addition to the S-400, Turkey also made preliminary agreements with the Eurosam countries to develop, produce and use the air defense system in order to improve its long-term domestic national capacity," Canikli told reporters in the Black Sea province of Giresun.
"We especially aim to have our own technology," the minister added.
In recent years, Turkey has sought to build its domestic defense industry to reduce reliance on foreign suppliers.
On Wednesday, a letter of intent was signed between Turkey, France and Italy to develop an anti-ballistic missile.
Under the pact, Turkey’s defense industry and the Franco-Italian consortium will work together to determine needs and priorities for the potential joint production of a SAMP-T anti-ballistic missile system.
Along with Canikli, French Defense Minister Florence Parly and Italian Defense Minister Robert Pinotti attended the signing ceremony.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 11.01.2018Erdogan: US can’t get any terrorist from Turkey as long as I’m in power
- 11.01.2018OSCE Chairperson-in-Office to address Permanent Council
- 11.01.2018Plane makes emergency landing at Warsaw airport, no casualties
- 10.01.2018Georgia-Turkey-Azerbaijan military co-op discussed in Tbilisi
- 10.01.20183,000 people granted Georgian citizenship in 2017
- 10.01.2018Swiss police arrest 80-year-old man for bank robbery
- 09.01.2018Berlusconi says Italy can't leave euro; coalition ally disagrees
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis