Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban
Turkey’s opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) called for airport sit-in after Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The party's press office said Devlet Bahceli, the party's chairman, discussed the latest move with Head of European Turkish Confederation Cemal Cetin.
During the conversation, Bahceli and Cetin decided to stage sit-ins in line with laws in the European country, said the press office.
The MHP deputy-chairman Semih Yalcin said in NTV live broadcast that the party wanted to protest Europe.
"It's a medieval mindset," Yalcin said, criticizing the Netherlands' ban on referendum rallies, adding that protests abroad must take place in a legal and democratic frame.
Dutch Foreign Ministry announced early Saturday in a statement the Netherlands canceled Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit on grounds of "security" and "public safety".
The foreign minister was scheduled to address the Turkish community in the Dutch city of Rotterdam later Saturday. In addition, Dutch police intercepted a vehicle carrying Turkish family minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya and prevented her from entering Turkish mission in Rotterdam.
The Netherlands, Austria and Germany are some of the European countries that have canceled meetings of some Turkish ministers and politicians, which they planned as part of their Yes campaigns ahead of the referendum in Turkey, on April 16th.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 12.04.2018Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
- 12.03.2017Violent clashes occur between police and demonstrators in Batumi, at least 20 injured - VIDEO
- 12.03.2017Brussels Partially Freezes EU Integration Funding for Ankara
- 12.03.2017Turkey temporarily blocks entrances, exits to Dutch diplomatic missions