Turkey's MHP calls for airport sit-in after Dutch ban
Turkey’s opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) called for airport sit-in after Dutch government canceled Turkish foreign minister's flight permit, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The party's press office said Devlet Bahceli, the party's chairman, discussed the latest move with Head of European Turkish Confederation Cemal Cetin.
During the conversation, Bahceli and Cetin decided to stage sit-ins in line with laws in the European country, said the press office.
The MHP deputy-chairman Semih Yalcin said in NTV live broadcast that the party wanted to protest Europe.
"It's a medieval mindset," Yalcin said, criticizing the Netherlands' ban on referendum rallies, adding that protests abroad must take place in a legal and democratic frame.
Dutch Foreign Ministry announced early Saturday in a statement the Netherlands canceled Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit on grounds of "security" and "public safety".
The foreign minister was scheduled to address the Turkish community in the Dutch city of Rotterdam later Saturday. In addition, Dutch police intercepted a vehicle carrying Turkish family minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya and prevented her from entering Turkish mission in Rotterdam.
The Netherlands, Austria and Germany are some of the European countries that have canceled meetings of some Turkish ministers and politicians, which they planned as part of their Yes campaigns ahead of the referendum in Turkey, on April 16th.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling AKP urges 160 countries where FETO network operates to be careful
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling party says July 15 coup attempt was backed by foreign forces
- 12.03.2017Turkish Family Minister declared 'Undesirable Alien,' detained by Dutch police
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM: Turkey vows for tenfold retaliation against Dutch govt.
- 12.03.2017Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"
- 12.03.2017Violent clashes occur between police and demonstrators in Batumi, at least 20 injured - VIDEO
- 12.03.2017Brussels Partially Freezes EU Integration Funding for Ankara
- 12.03.2017Turkey temporarily blocks entrances, exits to Dutch diplomatic missions