Turkey, Russia sign S-400 missile defense system deal
Turkey said Friday it has signed an agreement with Russia for the purchase of the S-400 missile defense systems, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Turkey's Undersecretariat for Defense Industries said in a statement: "We will receive two S-400 missile defense systems. One is optional."
The statement added that the Turkish Armed Forces will control the defense system entirely.
"The system can be used independently without any external connection," it said.
The statement added that details of the payment had not been shared due to confidentiality principles agreed upon between the parties.
The delivery would be made in early 2020.
Turkey's National Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli on Wednesday had confirmed an earlier statement by Russia's state defense corporation Rostec that the deal had been concluded.
“Two systems, four batteries in total. The deal is completely done,” Canikli said.
The S-400 is Russia's most advanced long-range anti-aircraft missile system with a capacity of carrying three types of missiles capable of destroying targets including ballistic and cruise missiles.
The system can track and engage up to 300 targets at a time and has an altitude ceiling of 27 kilometers (17 miles).
Related news releases
- 24.01.2018'260 terrorists neutralized' in Operation Olive Branch
- 24.01.2018At U.N., Russia proposes new inquiry into chemical attacks in Syria
- 24.01.2018Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Turkish army chief says all terrorists to pay price
- 23.01.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Georgia should have strong defense capabilities – U.S. envoy
- 23.01.2018U.S. delivers first batch of military equipment to Georgia
- 23.01.2018London van attacker meant to kill Muslims: Prosecutors
- 23.01.2018US officials arrive in Ankara to discuss Syria
- 23.01.2018Afrin op will go on until 'last terrorist neutralized'
- 22.01.2018Turkey: Operation in Syria targets terror groups
- 22.01.2018Turkey's gross debt climbs to $231.3B in 2017
- 22.01.2018Turkey’s Erdogan says Afrin operation won’t end before reaching its goal
- 22.01.2018Survey: 27% of Romanians in favor of unification with Moldova
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani schoolboy dies of meningococcemia in Georgia
- 22.01.2018Religious history teaching could be resumed in Georgian schools
- 22.01.2018Railway tunnel explosion in Georgia leaves 3 injured
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 30.12.2017Turkey’s first drilling ship passes Gallipoli
- 30.12.2017Spanish PM calls for Catalan parliament to be formed on Jan. 17
- 30.12.2017Greece grants asylum to FETÖ-linked coup soldier
- 29.12.201715 get life sentences over FETO links
- 29.12.2017Turkey, Russia ink $2.5 billion anti-missile system loan deal
- 29.12.2017Italy to vote on March 4, with hung parliament feared