Turkey, Russia back Iraq, Syria's territorial integrity
Erdogan's remarks came after a meeting with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in capital Ankara.
"As Turkey and Russia, we have reconfirmed our determination to maintain our joint will and close cooperation to find a political solution for the Syrian conflict," he said.
The president also commented on Monday's illegitimate Kurdish independence referendum in northern Iraq, and reiterated that it had "no legitimacy" in terms of Iraqi constitution and international law.
The referendum saw Iraqis in Kurdish Regional Government-controlled areas -- and in a handful of territories disputed between Erbil and Baghdad, including ethnically mixed Kirkuk and Mosul -- vote on whether or not to declare independence.
Official preliminary results revealed that 93 percent of voters backed Kurdish independence, although the vote was widely criticized by the international community.
Along with Iraq’s central government, Turkey, the U.S., Iran, and the UN had spoken out against the poll, warning it would distract from the ongoing fight against Daesh and further destabilize the region. according to the UN.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2018Gunman attacks French supermarket, kills three
- 24.03.2018Swedish football star Ibrahimovic moves to LA Galaxy
- 24.03.2018Erdogan, Macron talk about Afrin op. over phone
- 24.03.2018Police arrest over 170 FETO suspects across Turkey
- 24.03.2018Greece seeks EU support on soldiers in Turkish custody
- 23.03.2018Macron: London Shared "Proof" of Russian Involvement in Skripal Poisoning
- 23.03.2018France siege: Trebes supermarket hostage-taker who killed three shot dead by police - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018US Patriot missile system not alternative to Russia’s S-400, says Turkish PM
- 23.03.2018Turkey continuing talks with US over Patriot missiles
- 23.03.2018Several EU countries might recall diplomats from Moscow
- 23.03.2018The European Union recalls Moscow envoy
- 23.03.2018Policeman discharged after Salisbury attack
- 22.03.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral, regional issues
- 22.03.2018British PM May says Russia poses threat to all of Europe
- 22.03.2018US, EU to provide financial aid to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Nadezhda Savchenko arrested - UPDATED
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 29.09.2017Astana talks boost trust between Russia, Turkey - Erdogan
- 29.09.2017Turkish military kills 23 PKK terrorists in 24 hours
- 30.09.20174 security personnel martyred in eastern Turkey
- 29.09.2017Putin: Syrian agreements collective success of Russia and Turkey
- 28.09.2017Turkey responds to US comment on Erdogan's speech
- 28.09.2017The meeting between Erdogan and Putin lasted more than one and a half hours