Turkey names new land, naval, air force commanders
Turkey replaced its land, naval and air force commanders on Wednesday, the presidential spokesperson announced at a press conference, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Former Gendarmerie Commander Gen. Yasar Guler has been appointed as the new land forces chief and Vice Adm. Adnan Ozbal has been named the navy chief, said Ibrahim Kalin.
Also, Gen. Hasan Kucukakyuz has been appointed as the Turkish air force chief, he added.
The decision came during a top military meeting chaired by Prime Minister Binali Yildirim at the Cankaya Palace in Ankara.
During the bi-annual Supreme Military Council (YAS) meeting, appointments and retirements of high-ranking staff officers and generals, as well as the removal of military personnel were discussed.
“Six generals were promoted to a higher rank and 61 colonels were promoted as generals or admirals," Kalin said.
The tenures of eights generals and admirals were extended for a year, he added.
Also, 159 colonels got two years of extension in their terms.
He added that 28 admirals and generals, and 107 colonels will retire due to lack of positions in the forces, as of Sep. 1.
“One admiral will retire as he has reached the retirement age,” he said.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Former Catalan leader faces arrest in Finland
- 25.03.2018Italian parties reach deal on parliamentary speakers
- 24.03.2018Thousands of Croatian far-right supporters march in Zagreb
- 24.03.2018Gunman attacks French supermarket, kills three
- 24.03.2018Swedish football star Ibrahimovic moves to LA Galaxy
- 24.03.2018Erdogan, Macron talk about Afrin op. over phone
- 24.03.2018Police arrest over 170 FETO suspects across Turkey
- 24.03.2018Greece seeks EU support on soldiers in Turkish custody
- 23.03.2018Macron: London Shared "Proof" of Russian Involvement in Skripal Poisoning
- 23.03.2018France siege: Trebes supermarket hostage-taker who killed three shot dead by police - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018US Patriot missile system not alternative to Russia’s S-400, says Turkish PM
- 23.03.2018Turkey continuing talks with US over Patriot missiles
- 23.03.2018Several EU countries might recall diplomats from Moscow
- 23.03.2018The European Union recalls Moscow envoy
- 23.03.2018Policeman discharged after Salisbury attack
- 22.03.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral, regional issues
- 22.03.2018British PM May says Russia poses threat to all of Europe
- 22.03.2018US, EU to provide financial aid to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Nadezhda Savchenko arrested - UPDATED
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 03.08.2017EU's Juncker says ready to retaliate if needed over new U.S. sanctions on Russia
- 03.08.2017UK court jails men over terror plot
- 03.08.2017Air France expands North Korea no-fly zone after missile miss
- 02.08.2017U.S. VP Pence accuses Russia of attempted coup in Montenegro
- 02.08.2017Mike Pence praises Montenegro for 'courage' in 'face of Russian pressure'
- 02.08.2017British Marine admits to making bombs for violent Irish Republicans