Turkey names new land, naval, air force commanders
Turkey replaced its land, naval and air force commanders on Wednesday, the presidential spokesperson announced at a press conference, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Former Gendarmerie Commander Gen. Yasar Guler has been appointed as the new land forces chief and Vice Adm. Adnan Ozbal has been named the navy chief, said Ibrahim Kalin.
Also, Gen. Hasan Kucukakyuz has been appointed as the Turkish air force chief, he added.
The decision came during a top military meeting chaired by Prime Minister Binali Yildirim at the Cankaya Palace in Ankara.
During the bi-annual Supreme Military Council (YAS) meeting, appointments and retirements of high-ranking staff officers and generals, as well as the removal of military personnel were discussed.
“Six generals were promoted to a higher rank and 61 colonels were promoted as generals or admirals," Kalin said.
The tenures of eights generals and admirals were extended for a year, he added.
Also, 159 colonels got two years of extension in their terms.
He added that 28 admirals and generals, and 107 colonels will retire due to lack of positions in the forces, as of Sep. 1.
“One admiral will retire as he has reached the retirement age,” he said.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Turkish stocks close higher after rate hike
- 14.12.2017At least 4 children killed, 19 injured as school bus and train collide in France - UPDATED
- 14.12.2017Merkel slams EU’s Tusk over refugee quotas
- 13.12.2017Czech PM Babis takes office but so far lacks parliamentary backing
- 13.12.2017CIA official called to police department in Turkey
- 13.12.2017EU’s Tusk says refugee quota ‘ineffective’
- 13.12.2017Spanish court orders seizure of ex-Catalan president Mas's house
- 13.12.2017Parliamentary defeat will not stop preparations for Brexit day: UK government
- 13.12.2017Work linked with supplies of Russian S-400 systems to be over in one week - Erdogan
- 12.12.2017EU to extend sanctions against Russia before yearend
- 12.12.2017Germany extends military deployments worldwide
- 12.12.2017Russian credit to cover part of S-400 missile deal with Turkey
- 12.12.2017EU leaders to discuss defense, migration this week
- 12.12.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg’s mandate extended
- 12.12.2017Merkel urges swift talks for German coalition
- 12.12.2017Turkey to host trilateral security meeting on Dec. 14
- 12.12.2017UK prime minister says EU deal 'good news for everyone'
- 12.12.2017Putin, Erdogan discuss trade liberalization
- 12.12.2017Erdogan: S-400 missile deal with Russia to be finalized
- 11.12.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Ankara
- 11.12.2017Storms, snow hit northern Europe
- 11.12.2017Armenian citizens detained in Georgia
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.04.2016Turkish FM says Turkey 'not fueling' Karabakh clashes
- 06.04.2016Belarus president favors full normalization of relations with EU
- 06.04.2016Croatia Prepared to Take in 476 Refugees
- 02.04.2016German FM Calls for More EU Aid to Greece to Help Address Migrant Crisis
- 02.04.2016Greek parliament approves bill on migrants return to Turkey
- 01.04.2016OSCE Representative welcomes convictions for murder of journalist