Turkey names new land, naval, air force commanders
Turkey replaced its land, naval and air force commanders on Wednesday, the presidential spokesperson announced at a press conference, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Former Gendarmerie Commander Gen. Yasar Guler has been appointed as the new land forces chief and Vice Adm. Adnan Ozbal has been named the navy chief, said Ibrahim Kalin.
Also, Gen. Hasan Kucukakyuz has been appointed as the Turkish air force chief, he added.
The decision came during a top military meeting chaired by Prime Minister Binali Yildirim at the Cankaya Palace in Ankara.
During the bi-annual Supreme Military Council (YAS) meeting, appointments and retirements of high-ranking staff officers and generals, as well as the removal of military personnel were discussed.
“Six generals were promoted to a higher rank and 61 colonels were promoted as generals or admirals," Kalin said.
The tenures of eights generals and admirals were extended for a year, he added.
Also, 159 colonels got two years of extension in their terms.
He added that 28 admirals and generals, and 107 colonels will retire due to lack of positions in the forces, as of Sep. 1.
“One admiral will retire as he has reached the retirement age,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2018Number of Azerbaijanis who illegally visited occupied Georgian territories revealed
- 23.07.2018Miners stage protest in western Georgia
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 03.08.2017EU's Juncker says ready to retaliate if needed over new U.S. sanctions on Russia
- 03.08.2017UK court jails men over terror plot
- 03.08.2017Air France expands North Korea no-fly zone after missile miss
- 02.08.2017U.S. VP Pence accuses Russia of attempted coup in Montenegro
- 02.08.2017Mike Pence praises Montenegro for 'courage' in 'face of Russian pressure'
- 02.08.2017British Marine admits to making bombs for violent Irish Republicans