Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
Turkey is mourning the 15-year-old boy who was martyred by PKK terrorists in northern Turkey late Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Eren Bulbul died from wounds sustained as he helped gendarmes track PKK terrorists in Macka, a town 22 kilometers (14 miles) south of the Black Sea province of Trabzon.
Gendarmerie Master Sgt. Ferhat Gedik, 41, was injured in the same incident and also martyred.
Funeral prayers for Eren was held Saturday afternoon and was attended by Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu.
Deputy Prime Minister Fikri Isik visited the hospital where Eren had been treated to express his condolences to the boy’s family.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, head of the opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), condemned the attack.
“You are so low as to fire a bullet at a 15-year-old boy,” he said in a tweet.
Kilicdaroglu also called Eren's brother Olcay on Saturday and expressed his condolences, according to a statement made by CHP on Saturday.
Many people in Macka reacted to the killing of Eren by hanging Turkish flags at their houses and workplaces.
A poster of Eren was also hung outside the town hall with the words “Eren Bulbul, Macka will never forget you. Our martyrs rest in peace.”
On Twitter, thousands of Turkish people posted messages commemorating Eren with the hashtag #iyikivarsınEren (means 'glad to have you' in Turkish).
NGOs, artists, businessmen and sport clubs all over Turkey condemned terror and killing of the 15-year-old boy, in statements.
Football teams in the Turkish Super Lig will also come out onto the pitch with banners commemorating Eren and will stand in silence for one minute during the first week of the league on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, according to a statement of Turkish Football Federation on Saturday.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015.
Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including women and children.
- 23.08.2017Terror threat in Europe remains serious: Hungarian FM
- 22.08.2017Latvian Cabinet backs bill banning face veils in public places
- 22.08.2017Seven generals and admirals request retirement in Turkey
- 22.08.2017Turkish FM Cavusoglu to visit Iraq on Wednesday
- 22.08.2017Quake hits Italian island, one dead, 25 injured
- 21.08.2017Turkish forces kill 6 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq, Turkey
- 21.08.2017Serbia pulls diplomats from Macedonia
- 21.08.2017Spanish police arrest main Barcelona attack suspect
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says