Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
The parliament on Monday ratified the Prime Ministry’s motion to extend the ongoing state of emergency in the country for another three months, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The extension will become effective from Wednesday at 1.00 a.m. (2200 GMT Tuesday).
The motion was backed by votes of ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party and opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP).
Speaking in the general assembly, Deputy Premier Nurettin Canikli described the coup bid by Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) as a project on a “global scale".
"July 15 attempt is virtually a global-scaled project. FETO, which took charge in conducting that project in the country, is a pawn and tool," Canikli said.
He also described this project "as aimed at abolishing the Turkish Republic's sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity".
About the extension in state of emergency, Canikli said fundamental freedoms and basic rights and liberties had not been restricted during the measure.
"Until now, there is no one whose area of freedom was narrowed, whose basic rights and liberties were restricted, prevented or delayed due to the state of emergency."
Turkey declared a state of emergency on July 20, 2016, after FETO's defeated coup of July 15, 2016.
At least 250 people were killed and nearly 2,200 others were injured in the coup attempt.
During the state of emergency, the Cabinet has the right to issue statutory decrees under the president of the republic without regard to routine procedures and restrictions in Article 91 of the country’s Constitution.
These decrees are first published in the official gazette and then submitted to parliament for ratification.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Erdogan says West’s embargo plan against Turkey won’t yield any result
- 25.07.2017Erdogan calls on world Muslims over Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.07.2017Erdogan: Purchasing S-400 from Russia not 'worrying'
- 25.07.2017NATO steps in to resolve Turkey-Germany dispute
- 25.07.2017Turkey: 9 PKK terrorists killed in Hakkari in a week
- 25.07.2017Israel heads towards isolation says Turkish president
- 24.07.2017Polish president blocks judiciary reforms after days of protests
- 24.07.2017Panic in Swiss town after man with chainsaw attacks people
- 24.07.2017US ambassador highlights importance of Georgian region predominantly populated by Azerbaijanis
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten