Turkey: 13 get heavy life sentences over coup bid
A Turkish court on Monday handed down aggravated life sentences to 13 people convicted of trying to cut the signal feed of Turkish satellite operator TURKSAT during last year's defeated coup, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In the case of 17 people charged over the coup bid, Ankara’s 14th High Criminal Court sentenced 13 -- eight former soldiers and five civilians -- to aggravated life sentences for violating the Constitution.
The ex-soldiers -- Eray Uckun, Ibrahim Altinok, Melih Varol, Mustafa Altunay, Mesut Sancak, Fatih Arslan, Ersan Kuluclu, and Osman Kemal Kucuk -- also got an additional aggravated life sentence for their role in the deaths of two TURKSAT personnel, Ahmet Ozsoy ve Ali Karsli, the night of the coup bid.
Hearings will be held separately for four other suspects in the case who remain at large: Tayfun Karaoz, Ergun Ozyurt, Ismail Donat, and Ibrahim Yilmazbas.
The satellite and communication agency in Ankara's Golbasi district was also bombed during the night of the coup attempt. The putschists dropped four MK-82 bombs on the facility using F-16 aircraft.
FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup attempt of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 23.10.2017Ankara Mayor Gokcek to submit resignation on Saturday
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijani detained in Tbilisi on drug trafficking charges
- 24.10.2017German parliament holds opening session
- 23.10.2017Catalonia warns of civil disobedience as Madrid readies direct rule
- 23.10.2017Georgia elections: Candidate of Azerbaijani origin wounded in armed incident gains victory
- 22.10.2017Voters' activity exceeded 40% in Georgia's regions densely populated by Azerbaijanis