Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
At least three gunmen and one security officer have been killed in a nearly 24-hour special operation in the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, as counterterrorism units stormed a multi-storey apartment building on the outskirts of the city, Al Jazeera reported.
By 5pm local time (13:00 GMT) on Wednesday, the operation was confirmed completed.
Nino Giorgobiani, deputy head of administration at Georgia's state security service, said later on Wednesday at a news conference that one suspect was arrested during the operation and three others were killed.
One security officer was also killed and four others were wounded, she said.
"According to the information at hand, the criminals were not Georgia's citizens. They had been under surveillance over the last several weeks," she said.
"An investigation is under way within the framework of international anti-terrorism cooperation to confirm their identities and to determine their criminal links."
She did not clarify their nationality, saying more information would be provided in the coming days.
"It is important to note that Georgia's counterterrorism department has been conducting negotiations with them for several hours about surrendering but they rejected it," she said at a previous news conference.
"The members of the criminal group opened fire from an automatic rifle and threw hand grenades."
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Italy's League rallies in Milan as tense election campaign winds up
- 23.02.2018EU leaders agree to spend more on migration, defense, security
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 23.11.2017Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy