Thieves steal sheikh's Indian jewels from display in Venice
Thieves on Wednesday made off with jewelry worth millions of euros which was on display in Venice’s Doge’s Palace, police said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
At least two thieves are thought to have entered the exhibition of Indian and Indian-inspired gems and artifacts owned by Qatari Sheikh Hamad bin Abdullah al-Thani, mixing with other visitors.
Then, while one kept watch, the other opened the display case and grabbed a jeweled golden brooch and a pair of earrings.
The thieves, who police said appeared to have been part of a larger gang, seemed to have been able to delay the museum’s alarm system which only sounded when they were already escaping.
“We are certainly dealing with very skilled professionals, who got away with it even though the building and the rooms were kitted out with very advanced technological systems,” the canal city’s police commissioner Vito Gagliardi said.
The jewelry, which included diamonds, gold and platinum, had been assigned a customs value of just 30,000 euros ($36,084), but they were really worth “a few million euros”, Gagliardi said.
Wednesday was the last opening day for the show, entitled “Treasures of the Mughals and the Maharajahs”.
Related news releases
- 24.01.2018Obama administration deceived Turkey, says Erdogan
- 24.01.2018'260 terrorists neutralized' in Operation Olive Branch
- 24.01.2018At U.N., Russia proposes new inquiry into chemical attacks in Syria
- 24.01.2018Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Turkish army chief says all terrorists to pay price
- 23.01.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Georgia should have strong defense capabilities – U.S. envoy
- 23.01.2018U.S. delivers first batch of military equipment to Georgia
- 23.01.2018London van attacker meant to kill Muslims: Prosecutors
- 23.01.2018US officials arrive in Ankara to discuss Syria
- 23.01.2018Afrin op will go on until 'last terrorist neutralized'
- 22.01.2018Turkey: Operation in Syria targets terror groups
- 22.01.2018Turkey's gross debt climbs to $231.3B in 2017
- 22.01.2018Turkey’s Erdogan says Afrin operation won’t end before reaching its goal
- 22.01.2018Survey: 27% of Romanians in favor of unification with Moldova
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani schoolboy dies of meningococcemia in Georgia
- 22.01.2018Religious history teaching could be resumed in Georgian schools
- 22.01.2018Railway tunnel explosion in Georgia leaves 3 injured
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 04.01.2018Turkey sees EU membership as 'strategic aim'
- 05.01.2018Mikheil Saakashvili sentenced to 3 years in jail in absentia
- 05.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan says bilateral ties and accords with U.S. losing validity
- 03.01.2018Winter storm hits France with strong gusts, heavy rain
- 03.01.2018Eiffel Tower closed to visitors over Storm Eleanor
- 03.01.2018Moldova’s speaker to sign decrees on ministers’ appointments instead of president