Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
The seventh round of Syrian peace talks in Geneva is expected to begin next month, the UN announced Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"The Special Envoy for Syria wishes to announce he will convene a seventh round of the intra-Syrian talks in Geneva. The target date for arrival of invitees is 9 July, with the round beginning on 10 July," the Office of the UN Special Envoy for Syria said in a statement.
"He [UN special envoy] intends to convene further rounds of talks in August and in September," the statement said.
It said expert meetings of the consultative process on constitutional and legal issues will also be held in addition to the formal sessions of the intra-Syrian talks.
The next round would focus on the same four topics -- the constitution, governance, elections, and fight against terrorism -- that had to be discussed in the previous round.
On May 19, the sixth round concluded in failure as there was no progress on any issue for a political solution to the Syrian crisis.
After the end of the previous round, the head of delegation from the Bashar al-Assad regime, Bashar al-Jaafari had said that none of the four topics were discussed.
UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said: “We did not have a time to go deeply into all four baskets."
However, the head of the opposition delegation Nasr al-Hariri had told reporters: "l think we shall speak about every little achievement. I think keeping Geneva progress alive is an achievement."
Since civil war in Syria erupted in March 2011, more than 250,000 people have been killed, according to the UN. The Syrian Center for Policy Research puts the death toll at more than 470,000.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2017Theresa May vows 'settled' status for EU expats in post-Brexit UK
- 22.06.2017European Union is to extend sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 22.06.2017French central banker backs European Commission proposals on clearing
- 22.06.20176 suspects remanded in Turkish army food poisoning
- 22.06.2017France's Macron taps newcomers for reshuffle as conservatives split
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: Turkey wants all countries to enjoy friendly relations
- 21.06.2017Turkey spends $5 billion on refugees every year – gov’t official
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: No country provided serious assistance to Turkey during refugee crisis
- 21.06.2017UK PM May says will consult widely on Brexit, but Britain will leave EU
- 21.06.2017UK charges man arrested in East London with terror offenses
- 21.06.2017Man shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims
- 20.06.2017Canadair plane crashes in Portugal, no information yet about casualties
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 19.06.2017Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
- 16.06.2017Abkhazian IDPs hold protest outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi
- 16.06.2017Turkish police detain man near US consulate in Istanbul over potential attack
- 16.06.2017Turkey summons US ambassador over arrest warrants
- 16.06.2017Eurozone ministers strike deal to release funds to Greece
- 16.06.2017Erdogan slams US move to issue warrants for bodyguards
- 15.06.2017Brexit negotiations to start on June 19
- 15.06.2017German executive at Volkswagen Japan arrested for suspected drug use
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey
- 15.06.20175 PKK terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 15.06.2017Turkish UN judge gets over 7 years for FETO membership
- 14.06.2017London fire: Six confirmed dead as Grenfell Tower engulfed - UPDATED-2
- 14.06.201727-story apartment building on fire in western London
- 14.06.2017Macron: EU door still open to UK
- 14.06.2017Turkish FM to visit Qatar on wednesday
- 13.06.2017Uber CEO takes leave of absence amid crises
- 13.06.2017UK needs unity for challenges of Brexit and security
- 13.06.2017G7 summit ends in Italy without US pledge on Paris deal - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Two arrested by UK police after facebook video shows Koran burning
- 13.06.2017Earthquake kills one person on Greek island of Lesvos - UPDATED
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 17.06.2017Swiss prosecution conducts 25 FIFA corruption probes
- 17.06.2017London protests held as anger mounts over Grenfell fire