Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
The seventh round of Syrian peace talks in Geneva is expected to begin next month, the UN announced Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"The Special Envoy for Syria wishes to announce he will convene a seventh round of the intra-Syrian talks in Geneva. The target date for arrival of invitees is 9 July, with the round beginning on 10 July," the Office of the UN Special Envoy for Syria said in a statement.
"He [UN special envoy] intends to convene further rounds of talks in August and in September," the statement said.
It said expert meetings of the consultative process on constitutional and legal issues will also be held in addition to the formal sessions of the intra-Syrian talks.
The next round would focus on the same four topics -- the constitution, governance, elections, and fight against terrorism -- that had to be discussed in the previous round.
On May 19, the sixth round concluded in failure as there was no progress on any issue for a political solution to the Syrian crisis.
After the end of the previous round, the head of delegation from the Bashar al-Assad regime, Bashar al-Jaafari had said that none of the four topics were discussed.
UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said: “We did not have a time to go deeply into all four baskets."
However, the head of the opposition delegation Nasr al-Hariri had told reporters: "l think we shall speak about every little achievement. I think keeping Geneva progress alive is an achievement."
Since civil war in Syria erupted in March 2011, more than 250,000 people have been killed, according to the UN. The Syrian Center for Policy Research puts the death toll at more than 470,000.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 17.06.2017Swiss prosecution conducts 25 FIFA corruption probes
- 17.06.2017London protests held as anger mounts over Grenfell fire