Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
The seventh round of Syrian peace talks in Geneva is expected to begin next month, the UN announced Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"The Special Envoy for Syria wishes to announce he will convene a seventh round of the intra-Syrian talks in Geneva. The target date for arrival of invitees is 9 July, with the round beginning on 10 July," the Office of the UN Special Envoy for Syria said in a statement.
"He [UN special envoy] intends to convene further rounds of talks in August and in September," the statement said.
It said expert meetings of the consultative process on constitutional and legal issues will also be held in addition to the formal sessions of the intra-Syrian talks.
The next round would focus on the same four topics -- the constitution, governance, elections, and fight against terrorism -- that had to be discussed in the previous round.
On May 19, the sixth round concluded in failure as there was no progress on any issue for a political solution to the Syrian crisis.
After the end of the previous round, the head of delegation from the Bashar al-Assad regime, Bashar al-Jaafari had said that none of the four topics were discussed.
UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said: “We did not have a time to go deeply into all four baskets."
However, the head of the opposition delegation Nasr al-Hariri had told reporters: "l think we shall speak about every little achievement. I think keeping Geneva progress alive is an achievement."
Since civil war in Syria erupted in March 2011, more than 250,000 people have been killed, according to the UN. The Syrian Center for Policy Research puts the death toll at more than 470,000.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Former Catalan leader faces arrest in Finland
- 25.03.2018Italian parties reach deal on parliamentary speakers
- 24.03.2018Thousands of Croatian far-right supporters march in Zagreb
- 24.03.2018Gunman attacks French supermarket, kills three
- 24.03.2018Swedish football star Ibrahimovic moves to LA Galaxy
- 24.03.2018Erdogan, Macron talk about Afrin op. over phone
- 24.03.2018Police arrest over 170 FETO suspects across Turkey
- 24.03.2018Greece seeks EU support on soldiers in Turkish custody
- 23.03.2018Macron: London Shared "Proof" of Russian Involvement in Skripal Poisoning
- 23.03.2018France siege: Trebes supermarket hostage-taker who killed three shot dead by police - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018US Patriot missile system not alternative to Russia’s S-400, says Turkish PM
- 23.03.2018Turkey continuing talks with US over Patriot missiles
- 23.03.2018Several EU countries might recall diplomats from Moscow
- 23.03.2018The European Union recalls Moscow envoy
- 23.03.2018Policeman discharged after Salisbury attack
- 22.03.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral, regional issues
- 22.03.2018British PM May says Russia poses threat to all of Europe
- 22.03.2018US, EU to provide financial aid to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Nadezhda Savchenko arrested - UPDATED
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 17.06.2017Swiss prosecution conducts 25 FIFA corruption probes
- 17.06.2017London protests held as anger mounts over Grenfell fire