Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
World renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
He died peacefully at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday, his family said, APA reported citing BBC.
The Briton was known for his work with black holes and relativity, and wrote several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.
At the age of 22 Prof Hawking was given only a few years to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease.
The illness left him in a wheelchair and largely unable to speak except through a voice synthesiser.
In a statement his children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.
Prof Hawking was the first to set out a theory of cosmology as a union of relativity and quantum mechanics.
He also discovered that black holes leak energy and fade to nothing - a phenomenon that would later become known as Hawking radiation.
Through his work with mathematician Sir Roger Penrose he demonstrated that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity implies space and time would have a beginning in the Big Bang and an end in black holes.
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 13.03.2018Turkish PM's 2-day Azerbaijan visit starts Wednesday
- 13.03.2018Moscow vows to respond to UK threats to impose sanctions over Skripal case
- 13.03.2018UK counter-terror police investigate death
- 13.03.201810 dead, 18 injured as bus crashes into parked truck in Turkey
- 13.03.2018Euro zone to unlock new loans to Greece, working on debt relief
- 13.03.2018Turkish soldier martyred in Afrin, Syria
- 12.03.2018UK's May says 'highly likely' Russia behind nerve attack on spy
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London