Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
World renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
He died peacefully at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday, his family said, APA reported citing BBC.
The Briton was known for his work with black holes and relativity, and wrote several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.
At the age of 22 Prof Hawking was given only a few years to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease.
The illness left him in a wheelchair and largely unable to speak except through a voice synthesiser.
In a statement his children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.
Prof Hawking was the first to set out a theory of cosmology as a union of relativity and quantum mechanics.
He also discovered that black holes leak energy and fade to nothing - a phenomenon that would later become known as Hawking radiation.
Through his work with mathematician Sir Roger Penrose he demonstrated that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity implies space and time would have a beginning in the Big Bang and an end in black holes.
- 23.06.2018Erdogan: New documents on top FETO member revealed
- 23.06.2018Group of OSCE Permanent Representatives return from fruitful trip to three countries of South Caucasus
- 22.06.2018France, Germany set to cooperate on next-generation ‘Superfighter’ jet
- 22.06.2018Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough in EU migration talks
- 22.06.2018Erdogan sheds light on Turkey’s new presidential system
- 22.06.2018Pompeo plans North Korea meeting at 'earliest possible date': U.S. spokeswoman
- 22.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London