Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects
Six suspected terrorists were arrested in Morocco and a Spanish North African city in a joint operation to dismantle a terrorist cell, Spanish and Moroccan police said in a statement on Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Five of the suspects were arrested in Morocco and one was arrested in Melilla, an autonomous Spanish city on the North African coast bordering Morocco.
According to police, the leader of the cell was a 39-year-old Spaniard who followed Daesh’s global terrorism strategy, using his position as a teaching assistant at a juvenile rehabilitation center in Melilla to recruit vulnerable minors.
The investigation found that the cell “had planned massive terrorist attacks” and routinely held nightly meetings “where they would carry out physical training and simulate decapitations.”
Authorities say these meetings where what tipped police off to the group and its “dangerous level of activation.”
The arrests come just weeks after terrorist attacks in Catalonia killed 16. Spain has officially been on high alert for terrorist attacks since June 2015, and since then Spanish police have arrested 199 suspected terrorists.
Authorities say the joint operation “shows the relevance of the excellent collaboration” between the national police forces, which made possible the “neutralization of a dangerous threat that affected both countries.”
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation is being conducted in Tbilisi, shooting and explosions are heard
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis
- 10.11.2017Catalan parliament speaker released from Spanish jail
- 10.11.2017More than 100 PKK terrorists killed in 1 week in Turkey
- 10.11.2017Car rams into crowd near school in Southern France
- 10.11.2017Spanish Supreme Court frees Catalan parliament speaker on bail
- 10.11.2017UK's May picks Brexiteer to replace scandal-hit aid minister
- 09.11.2017Albania issues arrest warrant for FETO fugitive
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 08.09.2017French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 05.09.2017EU will continue talks with Turkey: Mogherini