Spanish King's brother-in-law sentenced to prison
Spain’s Princess Cristina, the sister of King Felipe VI, has been cleared of helping her husband evade taxes after a year-long trial, APA reported citing The Guardian.
Her husband, Iñaki Urdangarin, was sentenced to six years and three months in prison and fined more than €500,000 after being found guilty of charges including embezzlement, fraud, and tax evasion.
Cristina, 51, was the first royal to face criminal charges since the restoration of the Spanish monarchy in 1975 and could have gone to prison for eight years if she had been found guilty. Despite the acquittal, she was ordered to pay a €265,000 fine for “civil responsibility”.
The case was heard in Palma de Mallorca, the regional capital of Spain’s Balearic Islands, because many of Urdangarin’s business deals under investigation related to the islands.
In addition, Urdangarin was fined €512,000.
Urdangarin and his former business partner Diego Torres were accused of embezzling about €6m (£4.6m) in public money that was paid to their non-profit organisation, the Nóos Institute, to organise events. Torres was given an eight-year prison term.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2017Merkel: EU's Tusk to seek talks with Erdogan
- 29.04.2017EU states agree on Brexit guidelines: EC head Tusk
- 29.04.2017Current Speaker of Albanian Parliament elected President
- 29.04.2017Macedonian Crisis: Bulgarian leader calls for respect of democracy amid clashes
- 29.04.2017Four Turkish soldiers hurt in landmine blast
- 28.04.2017Strong winds cause damage across Georgia’s Poti
- 28.04.2017PACE president comments on calls for his resignation
- 28.04.2017Uncertainty grows over Agramunt’s presidency of PACE
- 28.04.2017Croatian PM rules out early election
- 28.04.2017Macedonian police fire stun grenades after protesters storm parliament
- 28.04.2017Protesters stormed into Macedonia's parliament and assaulted MPs - VIDEO
- 28.04.2017Turkish President: EU cannot question our democracy
- 27.04.2017Turkish supreme electoral body approves results of constitutional referendum
- 27.04.2017Soldier suspected of planning terror attack in Germany
- 27.04.2017Turkey’s ruling party to convene extraordinary congress on May 21
- 27.04.2017Russian warship sinks after collision off Istanbul coast, all soldiers rescued
- 27.04.2017Remains of 19th century Russian soldier found in Turkey
- 26.04.2017France's Hollande tells ministers to ensure big election defeat for Le Pen
- 26.04.2017FM Cavusoglu: Turkey will reconsider its relations with Council of Europe
- 26.04.2017Czech parliament adopts resolution condemning so-called “Armenian genocide”
- 26.04.2017Erdogan slams 'political' Council of Europe decision
- 26.04.2017Brexit takes center stage as Britain's election battle continues
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 17.02.2017Moldovan president vows to close NATO’s Chisinau office if it opens in April as planned
- 17.02.2017Car bomb in S.Eastern Turkey kills child, wounds 15
- 18.02.2017Turkey: HDP lawmaker jailed in terror investigation
- 17.02.2017Munich Security Conference to kick off today
- 17.02.2017No tolerance against terrorism: Turkish FM
- 17.02.2017Turkey steps up scrutiny on Muslim migrants from Russia