Spanish King's brother-in-law sentenced to prison
Spain’s Princess Cristina, the sister of King Felipe VI, has been cleared of helping her husband evade taxes after a year-long trial, APA reported citing The Guardian.
Her husband, Iñaki Urdangarin, was sentenced to six years and three months in prison and fined more than €500,000 after being found guilty of charges including embezzlement, fraud, and tax evasion.
Cristina, 51, was the first royal to face criminal charges since the restoration of the Spanish monarchy in 1975 and could have gone to prison for eight years if she had been found guilty. Despite the acquittal, she was ordered to pay a €265,000 fine for “civil responsibility”.
The case was heard in Palma de Mallorca, the regional capital of Spain’s Balearic Islands, because many of Urdangarin’s business deals under investigation related to the islands.
In addition, Urdangarin was fined €512,000.
Urdangarin and his former business partner Diego Torres were accused of embezzling about €6m (£4.6m) in public money that was paid to their non-profit organisation, the Nóos Institute, to organise events. Torres was given an eight-year prison term.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 18.05.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader
- 17.05.20172 Turkish ex-generals seeking asylum in Germany
- 17.05.2017European Parliament signs visa liberalization for Ukraine
- 17.05.2017Georgia expresses concern over EU representative’s visit to South Ossetia
- 17.05.2017Next meeting of Turkish, the U.S. Presidents to be held on late of May
- 17.05.2017Non-resettling EU states to face legal challenge
- 16.05.2017325 Georgian ‘thieves in law’ live in post-Soviet territory and EU countries – minister
- 16.05.2017CoE urges Serbia to recognize Srebrenica genocide
- 16.05.2017EU Foreign Ministers support continuation of anti-Russian sanctions
- 16.05.2017Merkel, new French President Macron agree to 'work closely together'
- 16.05.2017Turkish PM: EU 'has become a very bureaucratic state'
- 15.05.2017France's Macron names Republican Philippe as PM
- 15.05.2017Merkel: Germany will move its soldiers if Turkey refuses lawmaker visit
- 14.05.2017Death toll of plane accident in BiH rises to 5
- 14.05.2017Erdogan praises role of mothers in shaping societies
- 14.05.2017Four dead, five injured as Greek train derails, slams into home - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017At least 10 injured in Greek train derailment
- 12.05.20173 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 11.05.2017Majority of EU citizens consider Bloc's actions on migration 'inadequate'
- 11.05.2017Turkish, US delegations hold surprise Gulen talks
- 11.05.2017Wall Street closes mixed as oil prices gain 3 percent
- 10.05.2017French constitutional council officially approves Macron as president-elect
- 10.05.2017Robert Miles: DJ known for 1990s hit Children dies aged 47
- 09.05.2017Germany eyes new sanctions against North Korea
- 09.05.2017EU to continue supporting UN-led political process on Syria - Mogherini
- 09.05.2017Protests held in Paris after Macron's victory in French presidential elections
- 08.05.2017France's Macron steps down as En Marche! leader
- 08.05.2017Macron wins French presidency with 65 percent
- 07.05.2017WikiLeaks found Russian company’s Employee name in Macron Camp’s leaked emails
- 07.05.20175 killed in traffic accident in northern France
- 07.05.2017Three thousand migrants rescued in the Mediterranean: coast guard
- 07.05.2017Turkish army chief meets US counterpart
- 07.05.2017Three people on wanted list on suspicion of preparing terrorist attack in France
- 17.02.2017Moldovan president vows to close NATO’s Chisinau office if it opens in April as planned
- 17.02.2017Car bomb in S.Eastern Turkey kills child, wounds 15
- 18.02.2017Turkey: HDP lawmaker jailed in terror investigation
- 17.02.2017Munich Security Conference to kick off today
- 17.02.2017No tolerance against terrorism: Turkish FM
- 17.02.2017Turkey steps up scrutiny on Muslim migrants from Russia