Spanish King's brother-in-law sentenced to prison
Spain’s Princess Cristina, the sister of King Felipe VI, has been cleared of helping her husband evade taxes after a year-long trial, APA reported citing The Guardian.
Her husband, Iñaki Urdangarin, was sentenced to six years and three months in prison and fined more than €500,000 after being found guilty of charges including embezzlement, fraud, and tax evasion.
Cristina, 51, was the first royal to face criminal charges since the restoration of the Spanish monarchy in 1975 and could have gone to prison for eight years if she had been found guilty. Despite the acquittal, she was ordered to pay a €265,000 fine for “civil responsibility”.
The case was heard in Palma de Mallorca, the regional capital of Spain’s Balearic Islands, because many of Urdangarin’s business deals under investigation related to the islands.
In addition, Urdangarin was fined €512,000.
Urdangarin and his former business partner Diego Torres were accused of embezzling about €6m (£4.6m) in public money that was paid to their non-profit organisation, the Nóos Institute, to organise events. Torres was given an eight-year prison term.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Norway's envoy
- 23.03.2017Soldier martyred in PKK attack in southeast Turkey
- 23.03.2017Merkel's conservatives ahead of Germany's Social Democrats: poll
- 23.03.2017Five dead, around 40 injured in UK parliament 'terrorist' attack - UPDATED-3
- 23.03.2017Abu Izzadeen named as suspect in London terrorist attack
- 22.03.2017Theresa May to chair emergency meeting on Westminster terror attack
- 22.03.2017Turkey criticizes Netherlands over PKK Newroz rally
- 19.03.2017Man shot dead at Paris airport after attacking soldier
- 18.03.2017No other countries will quit EU after Britain: EU chief Juncker
- 18.03.2017Germany 'clearly supports terrorism': Turkish Presidential aide
- 18.03.2017Germany allows PKK marches, blocks Turkish politicians
- 18.03.2017G20 financial chiefs agree open trade is key to growth: Schaeuble
- 18.03.2017Turkish foreign ministry issues statement on 3rd anniversary of Crimea’s annexation
- 18.03.2017Two more killed in avalanche this week in Austria
- 18.03.20172 army officers released in July 15 coup probe
- 18.03.2017Turkish FM urges EU to implement visa-free regime
- 18.03.2017German minister says Europe, U.S. should stick to Russia sanctions
- 18.03.2017Trump praises Merkel on Germany's spending on defense, NATO
- 17.03.2017Turkey has suspended the import of grain from Russia
- 17.03.2017Canadian border guards accused of illegally seizing personal data
- 16.03.2017Turkish freighter sinks off Libyan coast
- 16.03.2017Shooting in French City of Grasse 'Insane Act' by Fragile Youth - Minister
- 16.03.2017Hungary says EU lied to Turkey over refugee deal
- 16.03.2017Authorities say French school shooting is not terror-related - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Explosion at IMF Paris offices after envelope opened, one person hurt
- 16.03.2017Dutch PM Rutte: Netherlands said no to 'the wrong kind of populism'
- 16.03.20173 PKK terrorists killed southeast Turkey
- 16.03.2017Exit poll gives Dutch PM Rutte big lead over far-right Wilders
- 15.03.2017Istanbul terminates sister city protocol with Rotterdam
- 15.03.2017US urges cooler heads amid Turkey-Netherlands spat
- 15.03.2017Turkish PM awaits apology from Netherlands
- 14.03.2017'EU is falling apart,' says Turkish FM
- 14.03.2017German state of Saarland bans Turkish rallies
- 14.03.2017G20 finance ministers to meet in Germany on March 17
- 14.03.2017Ireland: one rescued in rescue helicopter hunt
- 14.03.2017EU extends sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- 14.03.2017Some EU states cannot tolerate Turkey's rise: Erdogan
- 14.03.2017UK Prime Minister to keep EU waiting for Brexit announcement
- 14.03.2017UK Lower House rejects Upper House's Brexit bill amendments
- 14.03.2017Dutch ambassador in Ankara barred from returning to Turkey: Turkish deputy PM - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Moldovan president vows to close NATO’s Chisinau office if it opens in April as planned
- 17.02.2017Car bomb in S.Eastern Turkey kills child, wounds 15
- 18.02.2017Turkey: HDP lawmaker jailed in terror investigation
- 17.02.2017Munich Security Conference to kick off today
- 17.02.2017No tolerance against terrorism: Turkish FM
- 17.02.2017Turkey steps up scrutiny on Muslim migrants from Russia