Spain must thwart attempt to split the country - King Felipe VI
Spanish King Felipe VI claimed that the country was confronted with an "unacceptable" attempt of secession as Catalonia constituted an integral part of Spain.
Felipe VI, in an emotional speech during the ceremony of the Princess of Asturias Awards, urged Spain to resist attempts to split the country through legal procedures "in accordance with values and principles of parliamentary democratic rule Spain has been enjoying for 39 years."
King's words can actually mean that he does not rule the possibility of triggering Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution, which would entitle the government to suspend the autonomous status of Catalan region.
The prestigious prize-giving ceremony was attended by European leaders, in so doing implicitly pledging their support for Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy's position on unite Spain and rejecting the Catalan bid for independence.
On October 1, over 90 percent of more than 2 million Catalans who participated in the region’s referendum on independence expressed in favor of the region's secession from Spain. The referendum has been deemed illegal by the central Spanish authorities.
Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont announced on October 10 that the results of the vote enabled the declaration of independence. However, the Catalan leader called on the regional parliament to suspend the proclamation in order to make way for dialogue with Madrid.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 09.06.2018Russia’s return to G7 requires implementation of Minsk Agreements — Merkel
- 09.06.2018Merkel says differences on trade remain despite joint G7 communique
- 09.06.2018Arab leaders to hold meeting with King Abdullah over Jordan crisis
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijani CEC reps observe local elections in Georgia
- 21.10.2017Voters in Georgia’s Marneuli populated by Azerbaijanis under pressure, claims opposition party
- 21.10.2017Georgia’s interior minister says Marneuli armed incident ‘has nothing to do with politics’
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani wounded in armed incident in Georgia in critical condition
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani ambassador visits those wounded in armed attack in Georgia’s Marneuli
- 20.10.2017US ambassador calls armed incident in Georgia’s Marneuli ‘an unacceptable violence’