Spain launches investigation into Facebook personal data breach
The Spanish Data Protection Agency (AGPD) said in a tweet on Thursday that it had launched an investigation into the misuse of Facebook users' personal information by the Cambridge Analytica consultancy firm, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"The Spanish Data Protection Agency has opened an investigation against Facebook in order to examine the possible harm caused to the Spanish users," AGPD stated.
The probe is connected with a personal data breach scandal, Facebook has recently become embroiled in. In late March, media reported that the personal information of about 50 million Facebook users had been harvested by Cambridge Analytica without their consent. While reportedly working for multiple political campaigns, the firm gathered data from these millions of social media accounts to develop a mechanism that would predict and influence the behavior of voters.
On April 4, the company said that the personal data breach might have affected about 87 million Facebook users, while the Cambridge Analytica argued that under the contract it had access to the personal data of no more than 30 million people.
The Cambridge Analytica received the personal information from Aleksandr Kogan, a Cambridge University psychologist, who harvested the data through a special app called "thisisyourdigitallife."
According to Facebook estimates, the Spanish users have downloaded the app 44 times, which might have provided access to the personal data of 136,985 Facebook users.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 06.04.2018PYD/PKK supporters attack EU Council building in France
- 06.04.2018Georgia mourns coal mine accident victims
- 06.04.2018EU tightens sanctions on North Korea
- 05.04.2018German court orders conditional release of ex-Catalan leader Puigdemont - UPDATED
- 05.04.2018Fire at hospital in Istanbul taken under control, no casualties reported
- 04.04.2018Turkey's Athens consulate comes under attack