Scuffle occurs among police and Armenians in Georgia, involved special forces
Scuffle occured among local residents and police in the village of Kumurdo in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region, special forces arrived involved to the scene, APA's Georgian correspondent reports
Local residents were going to install a stone cross in the courtyard of the local church, on the graves of their ancestors, but the police did not allow them to enter the territory, citing the relevant order. Local residents began to resent. As a result, the dispute turned into a fight, after which the special forces arrived.
Georgian Interior Minister Georgy Mgebrishvili urgently left for the scene.
Arrived in the village of Kumurdo, the minister had already met with the local population, after which he went to visit the victims, among whom there are also policemen.
The village of Kumurdo is one of the villages of the Samtskhe-Javakheti region, where many Armenians live.
The temple itself is a cultural heritage of Georgia. The patrol police was called by the security police.
Currently, negotiations are underway to enable the population to establish a cross.
Related news releases
- 17.12.2017Saakashvili confirmed readiness for talks with Poroshenko
- 17.12.2017Tony Blair seeks return to politics, aims to tackle Brexit
- 16.12.2017Turkish minister urges US to end 'unlawful' case
- 16.12.2017France closes mosque for 'encouraging radicalism'
- 15.12.2017Merkel, Macron aim for eurozone plan by March
- 15.12.2017Brexit talks to move to next stage - EU
- 15.12.2017Three killed, including two police, in Spain shooting
- 15.12.2017One dead, several injured in stabbing in Netherlands
- 15.12.20173 dead in business plane crash in Germany
- 15.12.2017Sanctions policy can lead to escalation, says German lawmaker
- 15.12.2017Brexit dominates start of EU leaders summit
- 14.12.2017EU leaders extend economic sanctions on Russia
- 14.12.2017Turkish stocks close higher after rate hike
- 14.12.2017At least 4 children killed, 19 injured as school bus and train collide in France - UPDATED
- 14.12.2017Merkel slams EU’s Tusk over refugee quotas
- 13.12.2017Czech PM Babis takes office but so far lacks parliamentary backing
- 13.12.2017CIA official called to police department in Turkey
- 13.12.2017EU’s Tusk says refugee quota ‘ineffective’
- 13.12.2017Spanish court orders seizure of ex-Catalan president Mas's house
- 13.12.2017Parliamentary defeat will not stop preparations for Brexit day: UK government
- 13.12.2017Work linked with supplies of Russian S-400 systems to be over in one week - Erdogan
- 12.12.2017EU to extend sanctions against Russia before yearend
- 12.12.2017Germany extends military deployments worldwide
- 12.12.2017Russian credit to cover part of S-400 missile deal with Turkey
- 12.12.2017EU leaders to discuss defense, migration this week
- 12.12.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg’s mandate extended
- 12.12.2017Merkel urges swift talks for German coalition
- 12.12.2017Turkey to host trilateral security meeting on Dec. 14
- 12.12.2017UK prime minister says EU deal 'good news for everyone'
- 12.12.2017Putin, Erdogan discuss trade liberalization
- 12.12.2017Erdogan: S-400 missile deal with Russia to be finalized
- 11.12.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Ankara
- 11.12.2017Storms, snow hit northern Europe
- 11.12.2017Armenian citizens detained in Georgia
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 30.09.2017Georgian MIA releases statement regarding situation in Kumurdo village
- 01.10.201726 wounded in barrier collapse during soccer game in north France
- 01.10.2017Barcelona's local residents 'occupy' schools ahead of Catalan independence vote
- 30.09.2017Air France says flight AF 066 suffered serious engine damage
- 30.09.2017Rally Against Independence Referendum in Barcelona
- 30.09.20174 security personnel martyred in eastern Turkey