Scuffle occurs among police and Armenians in Georgia, involved special forces
Scuffle occured among local residents and police in the village of Kumurdo in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region, special forces arrived involved to the scene, APA's Georgian correspondent reports
Local residents were going to install a stone cross in the courtyard of the local church, on the graves of their ancestors, but the police did not allow them to enter the territory, citing the relevant order. Local residents began to resent. As a result, the dispute turned into a fight, after which the special forces arrived.
Georgian Interior Minister Georgy Mgebrishvili urgently left for the scene.
Arrived in the village of Kumurdo, the minister had already met with the local population, after which he went to visit the victims, among whom there are also policemen.
The village of Kumurdo is one of the villages of the Samtskhe-Javakheti region, where many Armenians live.
The temple itself is a cultural heritage of Georgia. The patrol police was called by the security police.
Currently, negotiations are underway to enable the population to establish a cross.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London
- 13.03.2018Turkish PM's 2-day Azerbaijan visit starts Wednesday
- 13.03.2018Moscow vows to respond to UK threats to impose sanctions over Skripal case
- 13.03.2018UK counter-terror police investigate death
- 13.03.201810 dead, 18 injured as bus crashes into parked truck in Turkey
- 13.03.2018Euro zone to unlock new loans to Greece, working on debt relief
- 13.03.2018Turkish soldier martyred in Afrin, Syria
- 12.03.2018UK's May says 'highly likely' Russia behind nerve attack on spy
- 12.03.2018Local Azerbaijanis protest against decision of Georgian district executive head
- 30.09.2017Georgian MIA releases statement regarding situation in Kumurdo village
- 01.10.201726 wounded in barrier collapse during soccer game in north France
- 01.10.2017Barcelona's local residents 'occupy' schools ahead of Catalan independence vote
- 30.09.2017Air France says flight AF 066 suffered serious engine damage
- 30.09.2017Rally Against Independence Referendum in Barcelona
- 30.09.20174 security personnel martyred in eastern Turkey