Road to EU open for Western Balkans if progress, reforms prevail – German FM
The countries of the Western Balkans will have chance to enter the European Union if they choose progress over stagnation, German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said on Wednesday, APA reports quoting sputniknews. Gabriel made a statement suggesting that the Balkan states my join the block ahead of his first trip to the region, which includes Serbia, Kosovo and Albania.
"I will reassure my interlocutors that the road to the EU will remain open if they opt for progress and reform instead of division and stagnation," he said.
The minister praised the "remarkable progress" made in the Balkan countries over the past years, but stressed that "some of the wounds of the past go deep and can still cause tensions."
"We want to continue to support the countries of the region as they develop their democratic and rule-of-law structures and move towards stability and prosperity," the minister stated.
Of the Western Balkan states, Serbia, Albania and Macedonia are EU candidates, while Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo, which unilaterally proclaimed independence from Serbia in 2008 and was recognized by over 100 UN member states, are prospective candidates.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2017British soccer fans clash with police before game in Madrid
- 14.04.2017Ankara looking for air defense systems, S-400 under consideration - Turkish DM
- 14.04.2017Former Turkish editor faces life term over FETO links
- 13.04.2017Daesh, PKK, FETO all trying to hurt Turkey: Erdogan
- 12.04.2017UEFA president "deeply disturbed" by explosions to Dortmund's team bus
- 12.04.2017German police find note near scene of Dortmund bus attack - UPDATED