Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
Police officers and special forces completely cleared the streets of Chavchavadze in Batumi from the demonstrators who arranged riots at night, APA reports quoting Sputnik Georgia.
The cleansing of the street took place without serious collisions; radical groups of young people who had been smashing the street for several hours began to leave it immediately after the appearance of a special detachment.
The police drove out the remnants of the protesters from the territory adjacent to the city police building, using rubber bullets.
The police and fire trucks were mobilized on the spot. In the city there is an operation to detain participants in the riots. The number of detainees is still unknown.
Tbilisi Mayor Georgy Jermakov said that cleaning services have already begun to bring the streets in order. In the next few hours, the mayor's office of Batumi will determine the amount of damage.
On the street of Chavchavadze, which turned out to be in the epicenter of events, the sidewalks are damaged, shop windows are destroyed, barriers are destroyed, traffic lights do not work. Throughout the street you can see the burned out skeletons of cars.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling AKP urges 160 countries where FETO network operates to be careful
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling party says July 15 coup attempt was backed by foreign forces
- 23.12.2016Malta hijack ends peacefully as hijackers surrender - UPDATED-1
- 23.12.2016Bomb destroyed near Turkish center in Brussels
- 24.12.2016Erdogan repeats vow to combat terrorism
- 23.12.2016Germany arrests two on terror charges
- 23.12.2016US: Drone strikes kills 28 al-Qaeda members in Yemen
- 23.12.2016Death toll at 35 in Mexico fireworks explosion