Clashed suppressed in Batumi, the city is under police control
Police officers and special forces completely cleared the streets of Chavchavadze in Batumi from the demonstrators who arranged riots at night, APA reports quoting Sputnik Georgia.
The cleansing of the street took place without serious collisions; radical groups of young people who had been smashing the street for several hours began to leave it immediately after the appearance of a special detachment.
The police drove out the remnants of the protesters from the territory adjacent to the city police building, using rubber bullets.
The police and fire trucks were mobilized on the spot. In the city there is an operation to detain participants in the riots. The number of detainees is still unknown.
Tbilisi Mayor Georgy Jermakov said that cleaning services have already begun to bring the streets in order. In the next few hours, the mayor's office of Batumi will determine the amount of damage.
On the street of Chavchavadze, which turned out to be in the epicenter of events, the sidewalks are damaged, shop windows are destroyed, barriers are destroyed, traffic lights do not work. Throughout the street you can see the burned out skeletons of cars.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2017Merkel: EU's Tusk to seek talks with Erdogan
- 29.04.2017EU states agree on Brexit guidelines: EC head Tusk
- 29.04.2017Current Speaker of Albanian Parliament elected President
- 29.04.2017Macedonian Crisis: Bulgarian leader calls for respect of democracy amid clashes
- 29.04.2017Four Turkish soldiers hurt in landmine blast
- 28.04.2017Strong winds cause damage across Georgia’s Poti
- 28.04.2017PACE president comments on calls for his resignation
- 28.04.2017Uncertainty grows over Agramunt’s presidency of PACE
- 28.04.2017Croatian PM rules out early election
- 28.04.2017Macedonian police fire stun grenades after protesters storm parliament
- 28.04.2017Protesters stormed into Macedonia's parliament and assaulted MPs - VIDEO
- 28.04.2017Turkish President: EU cannot question our democracy
- 27.04.2017Turkish supreme electoral body approves results of constitutional referendum
- 27.04.2017Soldier suspected of planning terror attack in Germany
- 27.04.2017Turkey’s ruling party to convene extraordinary congress on May 21
- 27.04.2017Russian warship sinks after collision off Istanbul coast, all soldiers rescued
- 27.04.2017Remains of 19th century Russian soldier found in Turkey
- 26.04.2017France's Hollande tells ministers to ensure big election defeat for Le Pen
- 26.04.2017FM Cavusoglu: Turkey will reconsider its relations with Council of Europe
- 26.04.2017Czech parliament adopts resolution condemning so-called “Armenian genocide”
- 26.04.2017Erdogan slams 'political' Council of Europe decision
- 26.04.2017Brexit takes center stage as Britain's election battle continues
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 13.03.2017Turkey summons Dutch diplomat, urges ‘written apology’ over barring minister
- 13.03.2017Hungary's president re-elected for 5-year term
- 13.03.2017Polish prosecutors summon EU's Tusk as witness in intelligence probe
- 12.03.2017Turkish FM postpones Swiss visit
- 12.03.2017Turkish EU Minister: Dutch approach ‘exactly fascism’
- 12.03.2017Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya: "Democratic values trampled underfoot"