Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London
- 01.06.2013Abdullah Gul: “Those who are ruling the country should pay attention to different ideas and concerns”
- 01.06.2013Turkish protesters pack Taksim Square as police withdraw
- 01.06.2013İstanbul mayor says authorities drew lessons from what happened in Taksim
- 01.06.2013Bulent Arinc: Instead of throwing gas bombs, it would be right to persuade the people
- 01.06.2013US Department of State: We support peaceful protests in Istanbul
- 01.06.2013Protests spread from Istanbul to other cities in Turkey