Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 09.12.2016Turkey sending 300 troops to reinforce Syria operation
- 09.12.2016Irregular crossings between EU, Turkey greatly lower
- 09.12.2016Paris limits traffic for fourth day running due to high pollution level
- 09.12.2016Turkish lira to be used in energy trade: Minister
- 08.12.20168 arrested in counterfeit operation in Italy: Europol
- 08.12.2016Turkish minister: Country's interests key in EU bid
- 08.12.2016Brussels recommends sending asylum-seekers back to Greece from March
- 08.12.20164 migrants drown, 34 rescued in Mediterranean
- 08.12.2016Turkish PM: Turkey, Russia working to resolve Syrian crisis
- 08.12.2016Turkey’s former parliament speaker dies at age 88
- 07.12.2016Italy PM Renzi resigns, president to consult with parties
- 07.12.2016Belgium detains 8 for questioning over Islamic State support
- 07.12.2016Supreme Court favors Samsung over Apple in patent case
- 07.12.2016UK man convicted of giving cash to Brussels bomb suspect
- 07.12.2016Merkel calls for Islamic veils ban
- 06.12.2016Turkey set to have 54 missions in Africa
- 06.12.2016Russia to ratify TurkStream project soon: PM Medvedev
- 06.12.2016British PM says Gulf security vital for Britain
- 06.12.2016FM: In case Cyprus unites, Turkish side will get accession to EU immediately
- 06.12.2016Cazeneuve named as new French Prime Minister
- 06.12.2016Chief advisor to Turkish opposition leader detained
- 06.12.2016Italy's president asks PM Renzi to delay resignation
- 05.12.2016Turkish PM says constitution plan to go to parliament after Russia trip
- 05.12.2016Turkey: 4 DBP party members remanded in terror probe
- 05.12.2016Greek court rules against Turkish soldiers' extradition
- 05.12.2016Greek court rules against extradition of FETÖ coup soldiers
- 05.12.2016Italian PM announces resignation after defeat in constitutional referendum
- 04.12.2016Mine blast kills over 30 in China's inner Mongolia region
- 04.12.2016Ireland welcomes U.S. decision to allow Cork-Boston flights
- 04.12.2016Erdogan urges people to switch to local currency
- 04.12.2016Germany detains senior terrorist wanted by Turkey
- 03.12.2016EU urges continued Syria talks despite ongoing fighting
- 03.12.2016Over 140 migrants rescued in Mediterranean close to Libyan coast
- 03.12.2016Two migrants found crushed to death in western Austria
- 03.12.2016Kerry meets Russia's Lavrov, says Syria diplomacy still alive
- 03.12.2016Gunman takes hostages in Paris travel agency robbery: source
- 02.12.2016Turkish buildings in Germany attacked by PKK supporters
- 02.12.2016The public should have say on charter reform: Deputy PM
- 02.12.2016World cannot stay silent on crimes in Syria: French FM
- 01.12.2016François Hollande will not seek re-election as president of France
- 01.06.2013Abdullah Gul: “Those who are ruling the country should pay attention to different ideas and concerns”
- 01.06.2013Turkish protesters pack Taksim Square as police withdraw
- 01.06.2013İstanbul mayor says authorities drew lessons from what happened in Taksim
- 01.06.2013Bulent Arinc: Instead of throwing gas bombs, it would be right to persuade the people
- 01.06.2013US Department of State: We support peaceful protests in Istanbul
- 01.06.2013Protests spread from Istanbul to other cities in Turkey