Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 31.08.2016Turkey summons US envoy over Syria
- 31.08.2016Lithuanian defense officials shaken by suspicious public procurement
- 31.08.2016EU parliamentarians realize impact of Turkey coup bid
- 30.08.2016Turkey waiting for US to fulfill commitment on PYD/YPG
- 30.08.2016Turkish jets strike PKK targets in northern Iraq
- 29.08.2016Rockets from Syria injure 5 children in SE Turkey - UPDATED
- 29.08.2016Prime Minister of Georgia to pay official visit to Baku
- 29.08.2016Bomb blast hits Brussels criminology institute, no casualties
- 28.08.2016Rocket attack carried out on Turkish civil airport
- 28.08.2016Turkey sends an ultimatum to Germany due to the "Incirlik" airbase
- 28.08.2016Merkel postpones final decision on Reelection Bid Until 2017
- 27.08.2016Steinmeier's calls for Arms Control show Berlin trying to be leading force in EU
- 27.08.2016Venezuela ex-mayor Ceballos sent to prison from house arrest
- 27.08.2016Former presidential advisor and 2 former ambassadors remanded over FETO links in Turkey
- 27.08.2016Curfews to be lifted in Turkey's southeast
- 27.08.2016Dutch far-right leader vows to close mosques
- 27.08.2016Italy quake death toll hits 281, state funeral planned
- 27.08.2016Kerry, Lavrov: 'Close' on Syrian Peace Agreement
- 27.08.2016Lavrov, Kerry Discuss Syrian Peace Talks in Geneva
- 27.08.2016French court suspends burkini ban, controversy goes on
- 26.08.2016Hungary to build 2nd fence to stem migrant flow
- 26.08.2016Italy quake death toll hits 278
- 26.08.2016Erdogan, Putin agree on Syria aid, G20 meeting
- 26.08.2016Turkey unveils 3rd Bosphorus bridge - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Erdogan informs Putin about military op in Syria
- 26.08.2016Alleged US drone crash-lands in SE Turkey
- 26.08.2016Strong blast in Belgium reportedly leaves at least one dead, several injured - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Lavrov visits Geneva for Syria talks with Kerry
- 25.08.2016Turkish interior minister: Terrorists targeted CHP leader
- 25.08.2016Fire opened at Turkish main opposition leader’s motorcade - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Flags at half-mast at Italian embassy in Baku after deadly earthquake
- 25.08.2016Turkey had informed three countries of military op in Syria
- 25.08.2016Ten more Turkish tanks cross Syrian border
- 25.08.2016Italy earthquake: Death toll rises to nearly 250 amid rescue efforts - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016US delegation's Gulen extradition talks end in Ankara
- 24.08.2016Erdogan: "The main priority for Turkey is the extradition of Fetullah Gulen" - UPDATED
- 24.08.2016More than 2,800 judges, prosecutors dismissed in Turkey
- 24.08.2016Italy earthquake: 'At least 73 dead' - UPDATED
- 24.08.2016Biden: US has no interest in protecting anyone that harmed an ally
- 24.08.2016Biden comments on Gulen’s expected extradition
- 01.06.2013Abdullah Gul: “Those who are ruling the country should pay attention to different ideas and concerns”
- 01.06.2013Turkish protesters pack Taksim Square as police withdraw
- 01.06.2013İstanbul mayor says authorities drew lessons from what happened in Taksim
- 01.06.2013Bulent Arinc: Instead of throwing gas bombs, it would be right to persuade the people
- 01.06.2013US Department of State: We support peaceful protests in Istanbul
- 01.06.2013Protests spread from Istanbul to other cities in Turkey