Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 27.09.2016Turkey vital for Europe, says UK FM
- 27.09.2016U.S. hotels in Adana, Turkey, could be targets of attacks -U.S. consulate
- 27.09.2016Armenian nuclear plant should be shut down: Turkey
- 27.09.2016Portugal's Guterres leads race for U.N. chief after fifth ballot
- 27.09.2016'Ottoman' Boris Johnson makes first visit to Turkey since Erdogan poem
- 26.09.2016Police say man opens fire, injuring two, near supermarket west of Paris
- 26.09.2016At least 10 Turkish troops killed in PKK attacks
- 25.09.2016Hollande vows to tear down notorious Calais refugee camp
- 25.09.2016Massive explosion rocks crowded street in Budapest injuring two police officers
- 24.09.2016Turkish vessel sinks off Sicily coast, 16 crew members rescued
- 24.09.2016EU to Create New Office to Return Undocumented Migrants - Commissioner
- 24.09.2016Video emerges of N Carolina shooting - VİDEO
- 24.09.2016Hungary PM says Europe should process refugees in Libya
- 23.09.2016Dutch Air Force Commander: More virtual training needed on F-35s
- 23.09.2016Erdogan urges cooperation with US to 'finish off İSİS'
- 23.09.2016Turkey wants to bring cooperation with Russia to higher than pre-crisis level
- 22.09.2016Rocket fired from Syria lands in southern Turkey, six injuries
- 22.09.20162 PKK terrorists killed in operation in eastern Turkey
- 22.09.2016Village guard martyred in southeast Turkey
- 22.09.2016Greece to House Refugees on Ferries Following Massive Fire at Moria Camp
- 22.09.2016Russian, Turkish leaders discuss Syria, bilateral ties
- 22.09.2016Turkish army destroys 103 Daesh targets in north Syria
- 21.09.2016Assailant prevented from breaking into Israeli embassy in Ankara
- 21.09.2016Erdogan slams EU’s failure to keep promises to Turkey
- 21.09.2016Turkish President urges world leaders to immediately take all necessary steps against FETO
- 20.09.2016Turkish president: " West may not, but we will keep on admitting Syrian refugees"
- 20.09.2016Turkish FM: "Turkey continues to support Syria truce"
- 20.09.2016EU to slap sanctions on ISIS, al-Qaeda
- 20.09.2016German economic growth to slow down in Q3: central bank
- 20.09.20162 Italians, Canadian abducted by gunmen in S. Libya
- 20.09.2016Juncker needs no protection from tough questions, EU says
- 17.09.2016Protests in Germany against transatlantic TTIP and CETA trade deals
- 17.09.2016Two soldiers killed, four wounded in clashes with PKK in Turkey
- 17.09.2016Bratislava summit shows Europe can move forward, Hollande says
- 17.09.2016Hungarian PM says EU migrant policy self-destructive, Germany should cap numbers
- 17.09.2016Merkel says EU reform agenda from Bratislava a first but key step
- 16.09.2016Ex-Italian president Carlo Azeglio Ciampi dead at 95
- 16.09.20169 killed in PKK attack in eastern Turkey
- 16.09.2016Over 60 Protesters Against Labor Bill Arrested in France
- 16.09.2016Catalonia's Altafaj urges EU to apply pressure on Spain to open dialog
- 21.09.201322 injured in train crash in Barcelona
- 22.09.2013Italy's ruling party: Berlusconi blackmailing coalition government
- 22.09.2013Turkey may never become EU member: Minister
- 21.09.2013Pope says Church must end obsession with gays, contraception, abortion
- 21.09.2013Finland to make room for potential Syrian refugees
- 20.09.2013Spanish king to have another hip operation