Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “Ataturk Culture Center in Taksim will also be demolished”
Addressing the congress of Turkey Exporters Assembly, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said those who protest against the government must do it through the law and election.
"Those who want to achieve results beyond the election are acting against the democracy. Everyone must express his position in this country. But no one has the right to hold illegal actions, harm the passers-by and stir up tension in the country," he said.
Prime Minister said the protests are the games of the opposition and some illegal groups.
"All must see this game. The question is not Gezi Park, this is an ideological issue. The project that we are realizing in Taksim square will be continued. Police were there yesterday, they will also be there tomorrow," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the fact of excessive use of tear gas by the police will be investigated, but said it is normal to use tear gas when it is necessary.
Prime Minister stated that as the new project in Taksim will be realized, Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished.
"Ataturk Culture Center will also be demolished, an opera house is to be built there. It should be an important center and tourists should view with pride. We want to stop traffic in Taksim, give the square to the people, pedestrians so that everyone can walk there freely," he said.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned leader of Republican People's Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who is going to hold a protest in Istanbul. He said it is not a problem if somebody holds a peaceful protest, but if people are instigated to do something, this will be prevented. "If they hold a protest with 20 000 people, we will hold it with 200 000 people. If they gather 100 000 people, we will gather 1 million people. Don't make us do this!"
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 12.08.2017Merkel backs UN proposal to take more refugees
- 12.08.2017Mogherini to convene EU Security Committee meeting over situation with N. Korea
- 11.08.2017Turkey: Soldier, civilian martyred in clash with PKK
- 11.08.2017Georgian Foreign Ministry calls on Russia to give up aggressive steps
- 11.08.2017Issue concerning Azerbaijani-medium schools to be raised at Georgian parliamentary committee
- 01.06.2013Abdullah Gul: “Those who are ruling the country should pay attention to different ideas and concerns”
- 01.06.2013Turkish protesters pack Taksim Square as police withdraw
- 01.06.2013İstanbul mayor says authorities drew lessons from what happened in Taksim
- 01.06.2013Bulent Arinc: Instead of throwing gas bombs, it would be right to persuade the people
- 01.06.2013US Department of State: We support peaceful protests in Istanbul
- 01.06.2013Protests spread from Istanbul to other cities in Turkey