12 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED
Twelve people, including seven police officers, one judge, one soldier and three personnel were killed on April 18 when a police helicopter crashed in the eastern province of Tunceli, APA reported citing Hurriyet Daily News.
The Sikorsky S-70 Blackhawk type helicopter was carrying a judge, seven police officers, one sergeant and three crew members who were on duty on referendum day on April 16, the Tunceli Governor’s Office said in a statement.
Judges Onur Alan, Ekrem Dereli, Sadettin Demir, Candaş Kaplan, Mesut Özdemir and Ahmet Cihan Kilci, police officers Hasan Yıldırım and Azam Gündede, pilot Abdullah Ortanca, technician Murat Ködük, and contractual pilot Dilaver Karsavuranoğlu were reportedly on the helicopter.
A police helicopter carrying 12 people crashed in the eastern province of Tunceli on April 18, the local governor’s office has said, adding that the crash may have been caused by poor weather conditions, APA reported citing Hurriyet Daily News.
The helicopter was carrying a judge, seven police officers, one sergeant and three crew members, the Tunceli Governor’s Office said in a statement.
Heavy fog in the region made the rescue operation difficult, Turkish media reports said.
Contact with helicopter was lost at 11:30 a.m., according to officials.
Teams of Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) were dispatched to the mountainous area between the districts of Ovacık and Pülümür to participate in search efforts.
The helicopter crashed onto a rural area that is of 2,500 kilometers altitude between the Çambulak and Kocatepe villages, according to AFAD.
Turkish Prime Minster Binali Yıldırım was informed by Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu about the crash.
One of the crew members called 112, the emergency line, to ask for help, saying that seven people were wounded.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018EU leaders agree to spend more on migration, defense, security
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 19.04.2017US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
- 18.04.2017Two suspects in terrorist attack preparation detained in France
- 18.04.2017'I will protect you!' Le Pen tells voters ahead of presidential election
- 18.04.2017US: Turkey needs to maintain political dialogue