12 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED
Twelve people, including seven police officers, one judge, one soldier and three personnel were killed on April 18 when a police helicopter crashed in the eastern province of Tunceli, APA reported citing Hurriyet Daily News.
The Sikorsky S-70 Blackhawk type helicopter was carrying a judge, seven police officers, one sergeant and three crew members who were on duty on referendum day on April 16, the Tunceli Governor’s Office said in a statement.
Judges Onur Alan, Ekrem Dereli, Sadettin Demir, Candaş Kaplan, Mesut Özdemir and Ahmet Cihan Kilci, police officers Hasan Yıldırım and Azam Gündede, pilot Abdullah Ortanca, technician Murat Ködük, and contractual pilot Dilaver Karsavuranoğlu were reportedly on the helicopter.
A police helicopter carrying 12 people crashed in the eastern province of Tunceli on April 18, the local governor’s office has said, adding that the crash may have been caused by poor weather conditions, APA reported citing Hurriyet Daily News.
The helicopter was carrying a judge, seven police officers, one sergeant and three crew members, the Tunceli Governor’s Office said in a statement.
Heavy fog in the region made the rescue operation difficult, Turkish media reports said.
Contact with helicopter was lost at 11:30 a.m., according to officials.
Teams of Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) were dispatched to the mountainous area between the districts of Ovacık and Pülümür to participate in search efforts.
The helicopter crashed onto a rural area that is of 2,500 kilometers altitude between the Çambulak and Kocatepe villages, according to AFAD.
Turkish Prime Minster Binali Yıldırım was informed by Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu about the crash.
One of the crew members called 112, the emergency line, to ask for help, saying that seven people were wounded.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 19.04.2017US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
- 18.04.2017Two suspects in terrorist attack preparation detained in France
- 18.04.2017'I will protect you!' Le Pen tells voters ahead of presidential election
- 18.04.2017US: Turkey needs to maintain political dialogue