12 killed in helicopter crash in eastern Turkey - UPDATED
Twelve people, including seven police officers, one judge, one soldier and three personnel were killed on April 18 when a police helicopter crashed in the eastern province of Tunceli, APA reported citing Hurriyet Daily News.
The Sikorsky S-70 Blackhawk type helicopter was carrying a judge, seven police officers, one sergeant and three crew members who were on duty on referendum day on April 16, the Tunceli Governor’s Office said in a statement.
Judges Onur Alan, Ekrem Dereli, Sadettin Demir, Candaş Kaplan, Mesut Özdemir and Ahmet Cihan Kilci, police officers Hasan Yıldırım and Azam Gündede, pilot Abdullah Ortanca, technician Murat Ködük, and contractual pilot Dilaver Karsavuranoğlu were reportedly on the helicopter.
A police helicopter carrying 12 people crashed in the eastern province of Tunceli on April 18, the local governor’s office has said, adding that the crash may have been caused by poor weather conditions, APA reported citing Hurriyet Daily News.
The helicopter was carrying a judge, seven police officers, one sergeant and three crew members, the Tunceli Governor’s Office said in a statement.
Heavy fog in the region made the rescue operation difficult, Turkish media reports said.
Contact with helicopter was lost at 11:30 a.m., according to officials.
Teams of Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) were dispatched to the mountainous area between the districts of Ovacık and Pülümür to participate in search efforts.
The helicopter crashed onto a rural area that is of 2,500 kilometers altitude between the Çambulak and Kocatepe villages, according to AFAD.
Turkish Prime Minster Binali Yıldırım was informed by Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu about the crash.
One of the crew members called 112, the emergency line, to ask for help, saying that seven people were wounded.
Related news releases
- 30.05.2017NATO says it’s not planning to deploy forces in Georgian ports
- 30.05.2017After talks, France's Macron hits out at Russian media, Putin denies hacking
- 30.05.2017Germany foreign minister slams Trump administration
- 29.05.2017Number of Albania opposition rally poisoning victims rises to 140
- 29.05.2017Vladimir Putin and Emmanuel Macron hold joint press conference
- 29.05.2017NATO PA adopts declaration supporting Georgia's Euro-Atlantic integration
- 29.05.2017Montenegrin FM accuses Moscow of meddling his country’s internal affairs
- 29.05.2017NATO PA spring session underway in Georgian capital
- 28.05.2017BA aims to resume most UK flights after IT failure
- 28.05.2017More than 1,500 migrants, refugees have died crossing Mediterranean in 2017: UN
- 27.05.2017Putin, Erdogan agree to develop coordination of efforts for settlement in Syria
- 27.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey, EU agree on year-long plan of actions to improve relations
- 27.05.2017G7 countries ready to tighten sanctions on Russia
- 27.05.2017Georgia's Defence Minister: We’re trying to ensure regional security jointly with Azerbaijan and Turkey more effectively
- 27.05.2017UK police arrest eleventh suspect of Manchester terror attack
- 27.05.2017G7 leaders reach impasse on climate, urge cyber crackdown
- 26.05.2017Bomb threat at Place de la République in Paris – major evacuation and lockdown
- 26.05.2017G7 leaders sign Declaration on fight against terrorism
- 26.05.2017Estonia expels two Russian diplomats, Moscow says 'unfriendly' act
- 26.05.2017NATO says it sees stability in South Caucasus as priority
- 26.05.201729 terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 26.05.2017Ankara criticizes US resolution over DC clash
- 26.05.2017Manchester police searching house in Wigan after Monday's deadly terror attack
- 26.05.2017Stoltenberg: NATO to become part of US-led coalition against Daesh
- 25.05.2017Former Greek prime minister injured in explosion
- 25.05.2017Turkish FM says it is time for EU to decide on Turkey
- 25.05.2017UK: Additional arrests in bomb investigation
- 25.05.2017Turkey denies restricting Russian agricultural imports
- 24.05.2017Manchester bomber was part of a network: police
- 24.05.2017Counter-terrorism police arrest man at Standsted Airport
- 24.05.2017G7 States to adopt special statement on anti-terror fight after Manchester blast
- 24.05.2017Turkish foreign minister arrives in Rome
- 24.05.2017UK Prime Minister raises terror threat level, says next attack 'imminent'
- 23.05.2017Ethiopian former health minister elected new director general of World Health Organization
- 23.05.2017Erdogan: "Be careful when naming Turkish sports centers"
- 23.05.2017Manchester's Arndale shopping center evacuated, witnesses heard "big bang"
- 23.05.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attack
- 23.05.2017Children among 22 killed in Manchester Arena attack - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017Theresa May calls Manchester Arena Explosion 'an appalling terrorist attack'
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 18.04.2017Turkey awaits apology for biased European body observer
- 19.04.2017British PM May calls for early election to strengthen Brexit hand
- 19.04.2017US: Trump signs order curbing foreign workers
- 18.04.2017Two suspects in terrorist attack preparation detained in France
- 18.04.2017'I will protect you!' Le Pen tells voters ahead of presidential election
- 18.04.2017US: Turkey needs to maintain political dialogue