Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday officially awarded the honor of hosting the 2024 Olympic Games to Paris, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A vote in Lima, Peru saw the ratification of a tripartite agreement which will also see Los Angeles host the 2028 games.
The two cities originally bid to host the 2014 Olympics, but Paris won and LA will be given four more years to prepare for the event under an agreement worked out with the IOC.
IOC President Thomas Bach described the decision as a "win-win-win" for all three parties involved.
"Congratulations to Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028! This historic double allocation is a ‘win-win-win’ situation for the city of Paris, the city of Los Angeles and the IOC," Bach said.
The Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Bid Committee issued a statement saying "the decision is the climax of a two-year journey that has seen the Paris 2024 team assemble and promote a stunning, innovative Games plan".
French President Emmanuel Macron congratulated in a televised statement the team of the Paris 2024 Committee. "For the next seven years, we will be preparing for these Olympic Games. It will be the games of Paris, of course, but the whole country must be mobilized," he said.
"We will have to work with the athletes, in terms of safety, environment, and financial commitment. But these games are yours, this victory is yours and we will ensure that Paris hosts magnificent games. So bravo!" he added.
-Back to Paris after 100 years
Paris 2024 Bid co-chair Tony Estanguet called the decision "a wonderful moment for the people of Paris and France and also the Olympic Movement".
"The Games are coming to Paris for the first time in 100 years and we will deliver an amazing celebration of sports at the heart of one of the world's greatest cities," he said.
Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo also celebrated what she called "a historical moment", and a "victory that will be a real accelerator of ecological transition, job creation and solidarity".
"They are the confirmation of a positive future for our youth, Hidalgo said. "Let's be proud! When Paris takes up the challenges of the 21st century, it is all of France that wins".
To celebrate the historic decision, a statue of the Olympic Rings was erected at the Trocadero Square, just in front of the iconic Eiffel Tower. The Rings will remain in place until Sunday, before they travel around the city for the people of Paris to enjoy, according to the Committee.
Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti said that bringing the Olympics back to LA "gives us the chance to imagine what our city will look like a decade from now".
"LA is a city where the Games are not a barrier to making progress; we know that they are an accelerating force to re-envisioning a better city and a better world in the days ahead as we welcome you back to the City of Angels."
Paris last hosted the games in 1924 and lost bids for the games in 1992, 2008 and 2012. For Los Angeles, it will be the third time it hosts the summer games after 1932 and 1984.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident
- 20.11.2017Putin, Rouhani may hold talks on sidelines of Russia-Turkey-Iran summit — Kremlin
- 19.11.2017Turkey launches investigation into U.S. prosecutors
- 19.11.2017Several foreign nationals detained in Athens over clashes with police
- 18.11.2017NATO chief once again apologizes to Turkish president
- 18.11.2017Erdogan condemns 'impudence' during NATO drill
- 18.11.2017Airlander 10 'breaks in two' and collapses at Cardington
- 18.11.2017Turkish FM: "Turkey has evidence of US arming terror groups"
- 18.11.2017Turkish court releases 13 suspects in major FETO case
- 17.11.2017Helicopter, aircraft in midair collision, say UK police
- 17.11.2017Daesh car bomb reportedly kills 20 at site for displaced families in East Syria
- 17.11.2017Erdogan meets Afghanistan's Gen. Dostum in Ankara
- 17.11.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg apologizes to Turkey over 'enemy chart' incident in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey withdraws troops from NATO drill in Norway
- 17.11.2017Turkey to host Russian, Iranian FMs ahead of Sochi
- 16.11.2017Georgia has centuries-old tradition of tolerance – President Margvelashvili
- 16.11.2017Erdogan visits Turkey's military base in Qatar
- 16.11.2017Turkey: Storm causes severe damage in coastal Antalya
- 16.11.2017Poland slams EU parliament resolution
- 16.11.2017Turkey sends diplomatic note to US over gold trader
- 14.11.2017Tbilisi Airport on lockdown after bomb threat received
- 14.11.2017Turkish president arrives in Kuwait for talks
- 14.11.2017EU’s Mogherini calls on Hariri to return to Lebanon
- 13.11.2017EU removes Colombia’s FARC from terrorist groups list
- 13.11.2017New mayor of Georgia’s Rustavi joins city cleaning work on first working day
- 13.11.2017Kakha Kaladze assumes duties as Tbilisi mayor
- 12.11.2017Turkey says purchase of S-400 from Russia 'completed'
- 11.11.2017Turkey puts in great effort for peace in region: Min.
- 11.11.2017Six Daesh suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 11.11.2017Croatia government survives no-confidence vote over Agrokor debt crisis
- 10.11.2017Catalan parliament speaker released from Spanish jail
- 10.11.2017More than 100 PKK terrorists killed in 1 week in Turkey
- 10.11.2017Car rams into crowd near school in Southern France
- 10.11.2017Spanish Supreme Court frees Catalan parliament speaker on bail
- 10.11.2017UK's May picks Brexiteer to replace scandal-hit aid minister
- 09.11.2017Albania issues arrest warrant for FETO fugitive
- 09.11.2017OSCE PA President steps down, Vice-President to serve as President
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad