Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday officially awarded the honor of hosting the 2024 Olympic Games to Paris, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A vote in Lima, Peru saw the ratification of a tripartite agreement which will also see Los Angeles host the 2028 games.
The two cities originally bid to host the 2014 Olympics, but Paris won and LA will be given four more years to prepare for the event under an agreement worked out with the IOC.
IOC President Thomas Bach described the decision as a "win-win-win" for all three parties involved.
"Congratulations to Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028! This historic double allocation is a ‘win-win-win’ situation for the city of Paris, the city of Los Angeles and the IOC," Bach said.
The Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Bid Committee issued a statement saying "the decision is the climax of a two-year journey that has seen the Paris 2024 team assemble and promote a stunning, innovative Games plan".
French President Emmanuel Macron congratulated in a televised statement the team of the Paris 2024 Committee. "For the next seven years, we will be preparing for these Olympic Games. It will be the games of Paris, of course, but the whole country must be mobilized," he said.
"We will have to work with the athletes, in terms of safety, environment, and financial commitment. But these games are yours, this victory is yours and we will ensure that Paris hosts magnificent games. So bravo!" he added.
-Back to Paris after 100 years
Paris 2024 Bid co-chair Tony Estanguet called the decision "a wonderful moment for the people of Paris and France and also the Olympic Movement".
"The Games are coming to Paris for the first time in 100 years and we will deliver an amazing celebration of sports at the heart of one of the world's greatest cities," he said.
Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo also celebrated what she called "a historical moment", and a "victory that will be a real accelerator of ecological transition, job creation and solidarity".
"They are the confirmation of a positive future for our youth, Hidalgo said. "Let's be proud! When Paris takes up the challenges of the 21st century, it is all of France that wins".
To celebrate the historic decision, a statue of the Olympic Rings was erected at the Trocadero Square, just in front of the iconic Eiffel Tower. The Rings will remain in place until Sunday, before they travel around the city for the people of Paris to enjoy, according to the Committee.
Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti said that bringing the Olympics back to LA "gives us the chance to imagine what our city will look like a decade from now".
"LA is a city where the Games are not a barrier to making progress; we know that they are an accelerating force to re-envisioning a better city and a better world in the days ahead as we welcome you back to the City of Angels."
Paris last hosted the games in 1924 and lost bids for the games in 1992, 2008 and 2012. For Los Angeles, it will be the third time it hosts the summer games after 1932 and 1984.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London
- 13.03.2018Turkish PM's 2-day Azerbaijan visit starts Wednesday
- 13.03.2018Moscow vows to respond to UK threats to impose sanctions over Skripal case
- 13.03.2018UK counter-terror police investigate death
- 13.03.201810 dead, 18 injured as bus crashes into parked truck in Turkey
- 13.03.2018Euro zone to unlock new loans to Greece, working on debt relief
- 13.03.2018Turkish soldier martyred in Afrin, Syria
- 12.03.2018UK's May says 'highly likely' Russia behind nerve attack on spy
- 12.03.2018Local Azerbaijanis protest against decision of Georgian district executive head
- 11.03.2018Anti-Racist March in Italian Florence Over Migrant Murder Gather 10,000 People
- 11.03.2018Britain funds export of CSeries jets in aftermath of trade row
- 11.03.2018Chile issues sweeping new Maritime Laws
- 10.03.2018UK police identify over 200 witnesses in nerve agent attack: minister
- 10.03.2018Hundreds of migrants picked up between Libya and Italy
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad