Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday officially awarded the honor of hosting the 2024 Olympic Games to Paris, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A vote in Lima, Peru saw the ratification of a tripartite agreement which will also see Los Angeles host the 2028 games.
The two cities originally bid to host the 2014 Olympics, but Paris won and LA will be given four more years to prepare for the event under an agreement worked out with the IOC.
IOC President Thomas Bach described the decision as a "win-win-win" for all three parties involved.
"Congratulations to Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028! This historic double allocation is a ‘win-win-win’ situation for the city of Paris, the city of Los Angeles and the IOC," Bach said.
The Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Bid Committee issued a statement saying "the decision is the climax of a two-year journey that has seen the Paris 2024 team assemble and promote a stunning, innovative Games plan".
French President Emmanuel Macron congratulated in a televised statement the team of the Paris 2024 Committee. "For the next seven years, we will be preparing for these Olympic Games. It will be the games of Paris, of course, but the whole country must be mobilized," he said.
"We will have to work with the athletes, in terms of safety, environment, and financial commitment. But these games are yours, this victory is yours and we will ensure that Paris hosts magnificent games. So bravo!" he added.
-Back to Paris after 100 years
Paris 2024 Bid co-chair Tony Estanguet called the decision "a wonderful moment for the people of Paris and France and also the Olympic Movement".
"The Games are coming to Paris for the first time in 100 years and we will deliver an amazing celebration of sports at the heart of one of the world's greatest cities," he said.
Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo also celebrated what she called "a historical moment", and a "victory that will be a real accelerator of ecological transition, job creation and solidarity".
"They are the confirmation of a positive future for our youth, Hidalgo said. "Let's be proud! When Paris takes up the challenges of the 21st century, it is all of France that wins".
To celebrate the historic decision, a statue of the Olympic Rings was erected at the Trocadero Square, just in front of the iconic Eiffel Tower. The Rings will remain in place until Sunday, before they travel around the city for the people of Paris to enjoy, according to the Committee.
Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti said that bringing the Olympics back to LA "gives us the chance to imagine what our city will look like a decade from now".
"LA is a city where the Games are not a barrier to making progress; we know that they are an accelerating force to re-envisioning a better city and a better world in the days ahead as we welcome you back to the City of Angels."
Paris last hosted the games in 1924 and lost bids for the games in 1992, 2008 and 2012. For Los Angeles, it will be the third time it hosts the summer games after 1932 and 1984.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 11.01.2018Erdogan: US can’t get any terrorist from Turkey as long as I’m in power
- 11.01.2018OSCE Chairperson-in-Office to address Permanent Council
- 11.01.2018Plane makes emergency landing at Warsaw airport, no casualties
- 10.01.2018Georgia-Turkey-Azerbaijan military co-op discussed in Tbilisi
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad