Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday officially awarded the honor of hosting the 2024 Olympic Games to Paris, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A vote in Lima, Peru saw the ratification of a tripartite agreement which will also see Los Angeles host the 2028 games.
The two cities originally bid to host the 2014 Olympics, but Paris won and LA will be given four more years to prepare for the event under an agreement worked out with the IOC.
IOC President Thomas Bach described the decision as a "win-win-win" for all three parties involved.
"Congratulations to Paris 2024 and Los Angeles 2028! This historic double allocation is a ‘win-win-win’ situation for the city of Paris, the city of Los Angeles and the IOC," Bach said.
The Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Bid Committee issued a statement saying "the decision is the climax of a two-year journey that has seen the Paris 2024 team assemble and promote a stunning, innovative Games plan".
French President Emmanuel Macron congratulated in a televised statement the team of the Paris 2024 Committee. "For the next seven years, we will be preparing for these Olympic Games. It will be the games of Paris, of course, but the whole country must be mobilized," he said.
"We will have to work with the athletes, in terms of safety, environment, and financial commitment. But these games are yours, this victory is yours and we will ensure that Paris hosts magnificent games. So bravo!" he added.
-Back to Paris after 100 years
Paris 2024 Bid co-chair Tony Estanguet called the decision "a wonderful moment for the people of Paris and France and also the Olympic Movement".
"The Games are coming to Paris for the first time in 100 years and we will deliver an amazing celebration of sports at the heart of one of the world's greatest cities," he said.
Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo also celebrated what she called "a historical moment", and a "victory that will be a real accelerator of ecological transition, job creation and solidarity".
"They are the confirmation of a positive future for our youth, Hidalgo said. "Let's be proud! When Paris takes up the challenges of the 21st century, it is all of France that wins".
To celebrate the historic decision, a statue of the Olympic Rings was erected at the Trocadero Square, just in front of the iconic Eiffel Tower. The Rings will remain in place until Sunday, before they travel around the city for the people of Paris to enjoy, according to the Committee.
Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti said that bringing the Olympics back to LA "gives us the chance to imagine what our city will look like a decade from now".
"LA is a city where the Games are not a barrier to making progress; we know that they are an accelerating force to re-envisioning a better city and a better world in the days ahead as we welcome you back to the City of Angels."
Paris last hosted the games in 1924 and lost bids for the games in 1992, 2008 and 2012. For Los Angeles, it will be the third time it hosts the summer games after 1932 and 1984.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 08.09.2017French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 05.09.2017EU will continue talks with Turkey: Mogherini
- 04.09.2017Swiss offers mediation role in N. Korean nuke crisis
- 03.09.2017The German authorities refused Turkey to freezing the accounts of supporters of Gulen
- 03.09.2017Pope tells South Korean faith leaders to promote reconciliation
- 02.09.2017Islamophobic attack targets mosque in Netherlands
- 02.09.2017Erdogan continues telephone diplomacy on Myanmar crisis
- 01.09.2017US Marine Corps’ military arrive in Georgia
- 01.09.2017Margvelashvili: Muslim community of Georgia is an integral part of our society
- 01.09.2017Erdoğan comments on French president’s remarks
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad