OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
The planned increase of crude production by OPEC+ nations of 1.5 barrels per day may only cover Q3 2018, Russia’s Energy Minister Alexander Novak said Saturday, APA reports citing TASS.
"First, the issue is about raising (production) only for the third quarter, and in September (we will - TASS) monitor the market situation and (decide) so what should be done accordingly," he said, adding that Q3 is expected to see growth of oil demand, "which is why such proposals (on production growth) are reasonable."
"We should provide all with equal possibilities. I think it will be fair to distribute volumes in proportion to reduction quotas," the minister explained.
According to Novak, what is being considered is production increase of 1.5 mln barrels per day starting July 1, not reduction of the current quota from 1.8 mln barrels to 1.5 mln barrels as some media outlets reported last week.
"We meant an increase of 1.5 mln barrels per year," he emphasized.
At the end of 2016, OPEC and 11 independent oil-exporting countries, including Russia, entered into an agreement to reduce oil production. According to the agreement, during the first half of 2017, the participants had to withdraw 1.8 mln barrels per day from the oil market against the level of October 2016. Russia pledged to reduce oil production by 300,000 barrels per day. At the meeting in Vienna in May 2017, the countries extended the agreement until April 2018, retaining the previous quotas for all participants. The purpose of the agreement is to reduce global oil reserves to five-year average levels.
On June 22-23, OPEC + participants will meet in Vienna to discuss options for further implementation of the transaction, including mitigation of the existing restrictions, as well as institutionalization and termless extension of the deal between OPEC and non-OPEC states.
Related news releases
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.07.2018Britain to double Western Balkans funding, security staff
- 10.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu to mull Israel-Palestine issue, Syrian conflict
- 10.07.2018Turkish President Erdogan unveils 16-minister cabinet
- 09.07.2018Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit
- 08.07.2018An American family, who promoted Azerbaijan carpet weaving, dies in Georgia
- 08.07.2018UK police officer allegedly exposed to nerve agent poisoning
- 07.07.2018France's Macron to attend World Cup game in Russia
- 07.07.2018PM May will sack foreign minister Johnson if he undermines Brexit deal: Times
- 07.07.2018Belgium advance to World Cup semifinals, Brazil out
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania