New possibly habitable exoplanet found in the depths of space
Astronomers from the European Southern Observatory (ESO) have discovered a small exoplanet located approximately 11 light years away from the Solar system, which may sustain life, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Those who hope to one day discover the presence extraterrestrial life in the vastness of space, or perhaps a habitable planet where humanity could relocate if Earth gets wiped out by some massive catastrophe, may find their spirits lifted by a new astronomical discovery.
Using a 3.6-meter telescope at La Silla Observatory, fitted with High Accuracy Radial Velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) spectrograph, ESO astronomers have located an exoplanet called Ross 128b which orbits a star located about 11 light years away from Solar system.
Rodrigo Diaz, an Argentinian scientist working on the team, told Sputnik Mundo that Ross 128b was identified a while ago, but it took considerable time to determine the planet’s exact position.
"The star is a little weaker and smaller than the Sun. The novelty of this discovery is the presence of an object in this star’s orbit with a mass estimate 1.4 times that of the Earth, which makes it possible for liquid water to be present on the surface," Diaz explained.
Related news releases
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.12.2017Belgium drops Puigdemont extradition case
- 06.12.2017At least 50 are feared wounded after passenger, freight trains collide in Germany - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Turkey, German bank sign deal for training for Syrians
- 05.12.2017Turkish courts convict 10 over FETO links
- 05.12.2017Ukrainian interior minister calls on Saakashvili to abide by law
- 05.12.2017Saakashvili supporters free him from police van after detention in Kiev
- 05.12.2017Erdogan warns to cut ties with Israel if Jerusalem recognized as Israeli capital
- 05.12.2017EU sometimes has hard time contacting US: Official
- 05.12.2017Turkish jets destroy PKK targets in northern Iraq
- 05.12.2017Jordan’s King Abdullah II to visit Turkey on Wednesday
- 04.12.2017No deal in Brexit talks yet, says EU
- 03.12.2017Turkish FM: "Gülen movement has infiltrated U.S. Congress"
- 03.12.2017France's Macron calls on Iraq to dismantle all militias
- 02.12.2017Police clear protesters as Germany's far-right AfD picks new leaders
- 02.12.2017Turkish police arrest 66 terror suspects
- 02.12.2017War crimes convict Praljak took cyanide, Dutch prosecutors say
- 01.12.2017Police conduct special op in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 01.12.2017Car bomb exploded in the suburbs of Barcelona
- 01.12.2017Merkel and Erdogan hold first phone call in months
- 01.12.2017Geneva-8 talks on Syria turned into shuttle talks format
- 30.11.2017Denmark passes law that could ban Nord Stream 2 from going through its waters
- 30.11.2017Ambassador: "Reports on possible resumption of air communication between Turkey and Armenia are not true"
- 30.11.2017Trump criticized in Britain and U.S. for sharing anti-Muslim videos
- 30.11.2017Georgia sees 5.7% economic growth in October
- 30.11.2017Ukraine murder victim's dad detonates two grenades in court
- 30.11.2017France's Macron urges China, Russia to support North Korea sanctions
- 30.11.2017European Parliament urges more progress in Brexit talks
- 29.11.2017President Erdogan discusses Syria with German counterpart