Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
The Czech president, Miloš Zeman, led the first round of the Czech Republic’s presidential election on Saturday by a wide margin but short of winning outright, partial results have showed, APA reports quoting the Guardian.
Eight candidates are seeking to oust Zeman, whose inclination toward far-right groups and cosy relations with Russia and China have split public opinion.
With 30.6% of voting districts counted, Zeman led the race with 42.9% of votes, while Jiří Drahoš, a 68-year-old pro-western academic, won 24.7%.
Unless the winner takes more than 50% in the first round, the two highest-scoring candidates will go head to head in a run-off planned for 26-27 January.
The vote is seen as a referendum on Zeman, 73, who has been in office since 2013. He has criticised migration from Muslim-majority countries as well as Germany’s decision to accept many migrants.
Czech presidents have limited executive powers but Zeman and his predecessors have had a strong influence on public debate. They are also pivotal in forming governments – which the European Union and Nato member country is now trying to do.
Zeman’s lead does not mean an easy win in the second round. Many voters may switch from their losing candidates to support the runner-up against Zeman.
Final first-round results were expected by Saturday evening.
Related news releases
- 24.01.2018Obama administration deceived Turkey, says Erdogan
- 23.01.2018London van attacker meant to kill Muslims: Prosecutors
- 23.01.2018US officials arrive in Ankara to discuss Syria
- 23.01.2018Afrin op will go on until 'last terrorist neutralized'
- 22.01.2018Turkey: Operation in Syria targets terror groups
- 22.01.2018Turkey's gross debt climbs to $231.3B in 2017
- 22.01.2018Turkey’s Erdogan says Afrin operation won’t end before reaching its goal
- 22.01.2018Survey: 27% of Romanians in favor of unification with Moldova
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani schoolboy dies of meningococcemia in Georgia
- 22.01.2018Religious history teaching could be resumed in Georgian schools
- 22.01.2018Railway tunnel explosion in Georgia leaves 3 injured
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 24.01.2018Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria over phone
- 24.01.2018At U.N., Russia proposes new inquiry into chemical attacks in Syria
- 24.01.2018'260 terrorists neutralized' in Operation Olive Branch
- 23.01.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Georgia should have strong defense capabilities – U.S. envoy
- 23.01.2018U.S. delivers first batch of military equipment to Georgia