Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
The leaders of Germany and seven other EU member states will gather in Brussels on Sunday for an informal summit on the refugee crisis, officials said on Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
“Upon the invitation of European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, Chancellor Angela Merkel will travel to Brussels on Sunday and take part at the informal working meeting on the current issues of migration,” Steffen Seibert, the government spokesman, said at a news conference in Berlin.
EU member states Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Austria, Spain, Malta and France -- which have been directly affected by the refugee crisis -- have also confirmed their attendance to the mini-summit, diplomats have told Anadolu Agency.
Sunday’s meeting came amid growing pressure on Chancellor Angela Merkel at home to find an EU-wide solution to the refugee crisis.
Her ultra-conservative coalition partner Christian Social Union (CSU) has pushed for unilateral measures and gave Merkel a two-week deadline.
On Monday, CSU’s leader and Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said he would wait for the outcome of Merkel’s talks with EU partners until end of June and from July 1 he will start implementing stricter measures at Germany’s national borders.
He argued that asylum seekers should be turned away at Germany’s border if they entered the EU from another member state and first registered there. Or if they had already applied for asylum and been rejected.
Chancellor Merkel strongly opposed to Seehofer’s plan and said such a unilateral move would have “a domino effect”, prompting other EU member states to push back refugees and further increase the burden of member states like Italy and Greece.
Related news releases
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.07.2018Britain to double Western Balkans funding, security staff
- 10.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu to mull Israel-Palestine issue, Syrian conflict
- 10.07.2018Turkish President Erdogan unveils 16-minister cabinet
- 09.07.2018Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit
- 08.07.2018An American family, who promoted Azerbaijan carpet weaving, dies in Georgia
- 08.07.2018UK police officer allegedly exposed to nerve agent poisoning
- 07.07.2018France's Macron to attend World Cup game in Russia
- 07.07.2018PM May will sack foreign minister Johnson if he undermines Brexit deal: Times
- 07.07.2018Belgium advance to World Cup semifinals, Brazil out
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 22.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany