Merkel, Macron aim for eurozone plan by March
The leaders of Germany and France have announced they are aiming to develop a common vision until March to strengthen the eurozone, APA reports quoting AA.
Speaking at a joint news conference in Brussels on Friday with the German Chancellor, French President Emmanuel Macron said they agreed on a number of issues to boost the eurozone.
"In the months to come, we will have a political and strategic discussion as to what we want to do within five or ten years for the Eurozone,” Macron said.
“We want to approve a road map, for the short, mid and long term,” he added.
The French president said he expected an agreement with Germany by March next year.
Merkel, who was still trying to convince Germany’s Social Democrats to form a “grand coalition” government after elections in September, spoke optimistically about reaching an agreement on the eurozone.
“I have talked about this with the French president yesterday and said that we would bring together our positions by March,” she stressed.
The eurozone is made up of the 19 EU states which use the single currency.
The French leader had proposed earlier major reforms in the eurozone, and suggested creating a eurozone budget, and the post of a eurozone finance minister.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 16.12.2017France closes mosque for 'encouraging radicalism'
- 16.12.2017Turkish minister urges US to end 'unlawful' case
- 17.12.2017Tony Blair seeks return to politics, aims to tackle Brexit
- 15.12.2017Brexit talks to move to next stage - EU
- 15.12.2017Three killed, including two police, in Spain shooting
- 15.12.2017One dead, several injured in stabbing in Netherlands