Merkel, Macron aim for eurozone plan by March
The leaders of Germany and France have announced they are aiming to develop a common vision until March to strengthen the eurozone, APA reports quoting AA.
Speaking at a joint news conference in Brussels on Friday with the German Chancellor, French President Emmanuel Macron said they agreed on a number of issues to boost the eurozone.
"In the months to come, we will have a political and strategic discussion as to what we want to do within five or ten years for the Eurozone,” Macron said.
“We want to approve a road map, for the short, mid and long term,” he added.
The French president said he expected an agreement with Germany by March next year.
Merkel, who was still trying to convince Germany’s Social Democrats to form a “grand coalition” government after elections in September, spoke optimistically about reaching an agreement on the eurozone.
“I have talked about this with the French president yesterday and said that we would bring together our positions by March,” she stressed.
The eurozone is made up of the 19 EU states which use the single currency.
The French leader had proposed earlier major reforms in the eurozone, and suggested creating a eurozone budget, and the post of a eurozone finance minister.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 12.04.2018Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
- 12.04.2018Macron claims to have proof of chemical weapons use by Syrian government
- 12.04.2018Salisbury attack: Chemical weapons watchdog confirms UK findings on nerve agent
- 12.04.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria in phone call
- 11.04.2018Fighter jet accidentally bombs working factory in France
- 16.12.2017France closes mosque for 'encouraging radicalism'
- 16.12.2017Turkish minister urges US to end 'unlawful' case
- 17.12.2017Tony Blair seeks return to politics, aims to tackle Brexit
- 15.12.2017Brexit talks to move to next stage - EU
- 15.12.2017Three killed, including two police, in Spain shooting
- 15.12.2017One dead, several injured in stabbing in Netherlands