Merkel backs UN proposal to take more refugees
Speaking at a news conference in Berlin, Merkel backed a recent proposal by the UN to increase the number of refugees to be resettled in the EU from the earlier pledged figure of 20,000 to 40,000.
“I think that 40,000 is a figure that will certainly not overstretch a continent with over 500 million people,” Merkel said, adding that the resettlement program was an important part of their efforts to fight smugglers and manage irregular migration flow.
She made the remarks at a joint press conference with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi and International Organization for Migration Director-General William Lacy Swing, following their talks on the refugee crisis and irregular migration in the Mediterranean.
The EU member states agreed in July 2015 to resettle around 20,000 refugees from conflict regions, to ease the burden on countries which host hundreds of thousands of refugees.
But in the last two years, only 17,000 refugees were accepted by the EU member states as part of the resettlement plan.
Many of these refugees were Syrians who fled the civil war and sought protection in the neighboring countries -- Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.
EU member states Hungary and Poland continue their objection to the resettlement plan.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Italy's League rallies in Milan as tense election campaign winds up
- 23.02.2018EU leaders agree to spend more on migration, defense, security
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Mogherini to convene EU Security Committee meeting over situation with N. Korea
- 11.08.2017Turkey: Soldier, civilian martyred in clash with PKK
- 11.08.2017Georgian Foreign Ministry calls on Russia to give up aggressive steps