Merkel and Erdogan hold first phone call in months
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan today discussed bilateral relations in their first phone conversation since tensions plunged to an all-time low this summer, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
According to state-run news agency Anadolu, Erdogan and Merkel are committed to "giving fresh impetus to bilateral contacts at the highest level", once a German government has been formed.
The call came a day after a similar call between Erdogan and German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Anadolu said.
Ties between the two countries -- NATO allies with strong historic ties -- have nosedived over Ankara's arrest of German citizens and Berlin's strong criticism of the Turkish crackdown following last year's failed coup, which has seen over 50,000 people arrested.
The Turkish government has however sent several reassuring signals in recent weeks, including the conditional release of two German nationals who had been detained in Turkey.
A week after the German citizens were set free, the countries' foreign ministers also met in the southern Turkish resort of Antalya for informal talks -- the first meeting since the bitter row intensified.
During the call today, Merkel and Erdogan discussed the pact signed last year between Ankara and the European Union, which has reduced the number of migrant and refugee routes to Europe, according to Anadolu.
Ankara has accused the EU of not granting the financial assistance promised under this agreement quickly enough.
Erdogan also briefed the chancellor on a Turkey-Iran- Russia summit on Syria, held last week in the Russian resort of Sochi, according to Anadolu.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Italy's League rallies in Milan as tense election campaign winds up
- 23.02.2018EU leaders agree to spend more on migration, defense, security
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 01.12.2017Car bomb exploded in the suburbs of Barcelona
- 01.12.2017Police conduct special op in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 02.12.2017War crimes convict Praljak took cyanide, Dutch prosecutors say
- 01.12.2017Geneva-8 talks on Syria turned into shuttle talks format
- 30.11.2017Denmark passes law that could ban Nord Stream 2 from going through its waters
- 30.11.2017Ambassador: "Reports on possible resumption of air communication between Turkey and Armenia are not true"