Man remanded in custody in Russian envoy murder case
The head of a Turkish media group was remanded in custody on Friday evening in capital Ankara for his alleged involvement in the assassination of Russian Ambassador Andrey Karlov, according to a judicial source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
A criminal court remanded Guru Media Broadcast Group Chairman Hayreddin Aydinbas on charges of "association in plotting manslaughter", the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
Aydinbas gave his testimony to Adem Akinci from the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on Wednesday.
Karlov was shot and killed in Ankara on Dec.19 during an art exhibition when he was delivering a speech.
Turkey-Russia relations were tested after the assassination. However, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Tukey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared the shooting a "provocation" designed to undermine bilateral ties.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Czech PM Babis takes office but so far lacks parliamentary backing
- 13.12.2017CIA official called to police department in Turkey
- 13.12.2017EU’s Tusk says refugee quota ‘ineffective’
- 13.12.2017Spanish court orders seizure of ex-Catalan president Mas's house
- 13.12.2017Parliamentary defeat will not stop preparations for Brexit day: UK government
- 13.12.2017Work linked with supplies of Russian S-400 systems to be over in one week - Erdogan
- 12.12.2017EU to extend sanctions against Russia before yearend
- 12.12.2017Germany extends military deployments worldwide
- 12.12.2017Russian credit to cover part of S-400 missile deal with Turkey
- 12.12.2017EU leaders to discuss defense, migration this week
- 12.12.2017NATO chief Stoltenberg’s mandate extended
- 12.12.2017Merkel urges swift talks for German coalition
- 12.12.2017Turkey to host trilateral security meeting on Dec. 14
- 12.12.2017UK prime minister says EU deal 'good news for everyone'
- 12.12.2017Putin, Erdogan discuss trade liberalization
- 12.12.2017Erdogan: S-400 missile deal with Russia to be finalized
- 11.12.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Ankara
- 11.12.2017Storms, snow hit northern Europe
- 11.12.2017Armenian citizens detained in Georgia
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.12.2017Belgium drops Puigdemont extradition case
- 06.12.2017At least 50 are feared wounded after passenger, freight trains collide in Germany - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Turkey, German bank sign deal for training for Syrians
- 25.11.2017UK's May remains hopeful for next Brexit phase
- 25.11.2017Erdogan: "Turkey, Russia to talk Syria more regularly"
- 25.11.2017Erdogan, Macron discuss Sochi summit, Syria on phone
- 25.11.2017EU's Juncker says Dec. 4 meeting with May will show if Brexit progress made
- 24.11.2017Nasr Hariri to head Syrian opposition at Geneva talks: spokesman
- 24.11.2017Armed police race to London's Oxford Street after reports of shots fired