Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Manchester's Arndale shopping center evacuated, witnesses heard "big bang"
- 23.05.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attack
- 23.05.2017Children among 22 killed in Manchester Arena attack - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017Theresa May calls Manchester Arena Explosion 'an appalling terrorist attack'
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 18.05.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader
- 17.05.20172 Turkish ex-generals seeking asylum in Germany
- 17.05.2017European Parliament signs visa liberalization for Ukraine
- 17.05.2017Georgia expresses concern over EU representative’s visit to South Ossetia
- 17.05.2017Next meeting of Turkish, the U.S. Presidents to be held on late of May
- 17.05.2017Non-resettling EU states to face legal challenge
- 16.05.2017325 Georgian ‘thieves in law’ live in post-Soviet territory and EU countries – minister
- 16.05.2017CoE urges Serbia to recognize Srebrenica genocide
- 16.05.2017EU Foreign Ministers support continuation of anti-Russian sanctions
- 16.05.2017Merkel, new French President Macron agree to 'work closely together'
- 16.05.2017Turkish PM: EU 'has become a very bureaucratic state'
- 15.05.2017France's Macron names Republican Philippe as PM
- 15.05.2017Merkel: Germany will move its soldiers if Turkey refuses lawmaker visit
- 14.05.2017Death toll of plane accident in BiH rises to 5
- 14.05.2017Erdogan praises role of mothers in shaping societies
- 14.05.2017Four dead, five injured as Greek train derails, slams into home - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017At least 10 injured in Greek train derailment
- 12.05.20173 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 11.05.2017Majority of EU citizens consider Bloc's actions on migration 'inadequate'
- 11.05.2017Turkish, US delegations hold surprise Gulen talks
- 11.05.2017Wall Street closes mixed as oil prices gain 3 percent
- 10.05.2017French constitutional council officially approves Macron as president-elect
- 10.05.2017Robert Miles: DJ known for 1990s hit Children dies aged 47
- 09.05.2017Germany eyes new sanctions against North Korea
- 09.05.2017EU to continue supporting UN-led political process on Syria - Mogherini
- 09.05.2017Protests held in Paris after Macron's victory in French presidential elections
- 08.05.2017France's Macron steps down as En Marche! leader
- 08.05.2017Macron wins French presidency with 65 percent
- 07.05.2017WikiLeaks found Russian company’s Employee name in Macron Camp’s leaked emails
- 14.11.2012Floods cause massive damage in Italy
- 15.11.2012Montenegro hit with second quake in two days
- 15.11.2012Thousands protest against cuts in Spain
- 14.11.2012Poland Denies Funding Belarus Opposition
- 14.11.2012Turkey getting prepared for EU
- 14.11.2012EU calls on prisoners in Turkey to end hunger strike