Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 12.08.2017Merkel backs UN proposal to take more refugees
- 12.08.2017Mogherini to convene EU Security Committee meeting over situation with N. Korea
- 11.08.2017Turkey: Soldier, civilian martyred in clash with PKK
- 11.08.2017Georgian Foreign Ministry calls on Russia to give up aggressive steps
- 11.08.2017Issue concerning Azerbaijani-medium schools to be raised at Georgian parliamentary committee
- 14.11.2012Floods cause massive damage in Italy
- 15.11.2012Montenegro hit with second quake in two days
- 15.11.2012Thousands protest against cuts in Spain
- 14.11.2012Poland Denies Funding Belarus Opposition
- 14.11.2012Turkey getting prepared for EU
- 14.11.2012EU calls on prisoners in Turkey to end hunger strike