Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 09.12.2016Turkey sending 300 troops to reinforce Syria operation
- 09.12.2016Irregular crossings between EU, Turkey greatly lower
- 09.12.2016Paris limits traffic for fourth day running due to high pollution level
- 09.12.2016Turkish lira to be used in energy trade: Minister
- 08.12.20168 arrested in counterfeit operation in Italy: Europol
- 08.12.2016Turkish minister: Country's interests key in EU bid
- 08.12.2016Brussels recommends sending asylum-seekers back to Greece from March
- 08.12.20164 migrants drown, 34 rescued in Mediterranean
- 08.12.2016Turkish PM: Turkey, Russia working to resolve Syrian crisis
- 08.12.2016Turkey’s former parliament speaker dies at age 88
- 07.12.2016Italy PM Renzi resigns, president to consult with parties
- 07.12.2016Belgium detains 8 for questioning over Islamic State support
- 07.12.2016Supreme Court favors Samsung over Apple in patent case
- 07.12.2016UK man convicted of giving cash to Brussels bomb suspect
- 07.12.2016Merkel calls for Islamic veils ban
- 06.12.2016Turkey set to have 54 missions in Africa
- 06.12.2016Russia to ratify TurkStream project soon: PM Medvedev
- 06.12.2016British PM says Gulf security vital for Britain
- 06.12.2016FM: In case Cyprus unites, Turkish side will get accession to EU immediately
- 06.12.2016Cazeneuve named as new French Prime Minister
- 06.12.2016Chief advisor to Turkish opposition leader detained
- 06.12.2016Italy's president asks PM Renzi to delay resignation
- 05.12.2016Turkish PM says constitution plan to go to parliament after Russia trip
- 05.12.2016Turkey: 4 DBP party members remanded in terror probe
- 05.12.2016Greek court rules against Turkish soldiers' extradition
- 05.12.2016Greek court rules against extradition of FETÖ coup soldiers
- 05.12.2016Italian PM announces resignation after defeat in constitutional referendum
- 04.12.2016Mine blast kills over 30 in China's inner Mongolia region
- 04.12.2016Ireland welcomes U.S. decision to allow Cork-Boston flights
- 04.12.2016Erdogan urges people to switch to local currency
- 04.12.2016Germany detains senior terrorist wanted by Turkey
- 03.12.2016EU urges continued Syria talks despite ongoing fighting
- 03.12.2016Over 140 migrants rescued in Mediterranean close to Libyan coast
- 03.12.2016Two migrants found crushed to death in western Austria
- 03.12.2016Kerry meets Russia's Lavrov, says Syria diplomacy still alive
- 03.12.2016Gunman takes hostages in Paris travel agency robbery: source
- 02.12.2016Turkish buildings in Germany attacked by PKK supporters
- 02.12.2016The public should have say on charter reform: Deputy PM
- 02.12.2016World cannot stay silent on crimes in Syria: French FM
- 01.12.2016François Hollande will not seek re-election as president of France
- 14.11.2012Floods cause massive damage in Italy
- 15.11.2012Montenegro hit with second quake in two days
- 15.11.2012Thousands protest against cuts in Spain
- 14.11.2012Poland Denies Funding Belarus Opposition
- 14.11.2012Turkey getting prepared for EU
- 14.11.2012EU calls on prisoners in Turkey to end hunger strike