Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 29.09.2016Turkey's security council recommends extending emergency
- 29.09.2016Turkish jets hit PKK shelters, gun positions
- 28.09.2016Swiss military helicopter crashes in Alps, 2 pilots killed
- 27.09.2016Turkey vital for Europe, says UK FM
- 27.09.2016U.S. hotels in Adana, Turkey, could be targets of attacks -U.S. consulate
- 27.09.2016Armenian nuclear plant should be shut down: Turkey
- 27.09.2016Portugal's Guterres leads race for U.N. chief after fifth ballot
- 27.09.2016'Ottoman' Boris Johnson makes first visit to Turkey since Erdogan poem
- 26.09.2016Police say man opens fire, injuring two, near supermarket west of Paris
- 26.09.2016At least 10 Turkish troops killed in PKK attacks
- 25.09.2016Hollande vows to tear down notorious Calais refugee camp
- 25.09.2016Massive explosion rocks crowded street in Budapest injuring two police officers
- 24.09.2016Turkish vessel sinks off Sicily coast, 16 crew members rescued
- 24.09.2016EU to Create New Office to Return Undocumented Migrants - Commissioner
- 24.09.2016Video emerges of N Carolina shooting - VİDEO
- 24.09.2016Hungary PM says Europe should process refugees in Libya
- 23.09.2016Dutch Air Force Commander: More virtual training needed on F-35s
- 23.09.2016Erdogan urges cooperation with US to 'finish off İSİS'
- 23.09.2016Turkey wants to bring cooperation with Russia to higher than pre-crisis level
- 22.09.2016Rocket fired from Syria lands in southern Turkey, six injuries
- 22.09.20162 PKK terrorists killed in operation in eastern Turkey
- 22.09.2016Village guard martyred in southeast Turkey
- 22.09.2016Greece to House Refugees on Ferries Following Massive Fire at Moria Camp
- 22.09.2016Russian, Turkish leaders discuss Syria, bilateral ties
- 22.09.2016Turkish army destroys 103 Daesh targets in north Syria
- 21.09.2016Assailant prevented from breaking into Israeli embassy in Ankara
- 21.09.2016Erdogan slams EU’s failure to keep promises to Turkey
- 21.09.2016Turkish President urges world leaders to immediately take all necessary steps against FETO
- 20.09.2016Turkish president: " West may not, but we will keep on admitting Syrian refugees"
- 20.09.2016Turkish FM: "Turkey continues to support Syria truce"
- 20.09.2016EU to slap sanctions on ISIS, al-Qaeda
- 20.09.2016German economic growth to slow down in Q3: central bank
- 20.09.20162 Italians, Canadian abducted by gunmen in S. Libya
- 20.09.2016Juncker needs no protection from tough questions, EU says
- 17.09.2016Protests in Germany against transatlantic TTIP and CETA trade deals
- 17.09.2016Two soldiers killed, four wounded in clashes with PKK in Turkey
- 17.09.2016Bratislava summit shows Europe can move forward, Hollande says
- 17.09.2016Hungarian PM says EU migrant policy self-destructive, Germany should cap numbers
- 17.09.2016Merkel says EU reform agenda from Bratislava a first but key step
- 16.09.2016Ex-Italian president Carlo Azeglio Ciampi dead at 95
- 14.11.2012Floods cause massive damage in Italy
- 15.11.2012Montenegro hit with second quake in two days
- 15.11.2012Thousands protest against cuts in Spain
- 14.11.2012Poland Denies Funding Belarus Opposition
- 14.11.2012Turkey getting prepared for EU
- 14.11.2012EU calls on prisoners in Turkey to end hunger strike