Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 26.08.2016Strong blast in Belgium reportedly leaves at least one dead, several injured - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Lavrov visits Geneva for Syria talks with Kerry
- 25.08.2016Turkish interior minister: Terrorists targeted CHP leader
- 25.08.2016Fire opened at Turkish main opposition leader’s motorcade - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016Flags at half-mast at Italian embassy in Baku after deadly earthquake
- 25.08.2016Turkey had informed three countries of military op in Syria
- 25.08.2016Ten more Turkish tanks cross Syrian border
- 25.08.2016Italy earthquake: Death toll rises to nearly 250 amid rescue efforts - UPDATED
- 25.08.2016US delegation's Gulen extradition talks end in Ankara
- 24.08.2016Erdogan: "The main priority for Turkey is the extradition of Fetullah Gulen" - UPDATED
- 24.08.2016More than 2,800 judges, prosecutors dismissed in Turkey
- 24.08.2016Italy earthquake: 'At least 73 dead' - UPDATED
- 24.08.2016Biden: US has no interest in protecting anyone that harmed an ally
- 24.08.2016Biden comments on Gulen’s expected extradition
- 24.08.2016Cavusoglu: We aim to eliminate threats against Turkey
- 24.08.2016Erdogan: Army began operations against ISIL and PYD in Syria
- 24.08.2016US vice president begins visit to Turkey
- 24.08.2016Italy government monitoring situation after 6.2 magnitude earthquake: spokesman
- 24.08.2016Strong quake hits central Italy, brings down buildings - UPDATED
- 23.08.2016Turkish FM: "Nearly 90 Turkish Foreign Ministry staff fired, 332 suspended in Post-Coup Purge"
- 23.08.2016OSCE FMs to meet in Germany on Sept.1
- 23.08.2016Kremlin says Putin, Merkel, Hollande to meet to discuss Ukraine on Sept. 4-5 at G20
- 23.08.20162 PKK terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 23.08.2016Turkish army targets Daesh, PYD positions in Syria
- 22.08.2016Turkey recalls its ambassador to Vienna
- 22.08.2016France: Sarkozy declares presidential election candidacy
- 22.08.2016Turkish PM does not 'approve' Israeli attack on Gaza
- 22.08.2016Greece: Hearing continues for Turkish pro-coup soldiers
- 22.08.2016Georgia detains 7 on charges of planning to explode Russia-Armenia gas pipeline
- 21.08.2016Sadiq Khan: Jeremy Corbyn 'failed to show leadership needed'
- 21.08.2016German right-wing leader backs citizens' right to arm themselves
- 21.08.2016Turkish Prime Minister admits possibility of use of Incirlik base by Russia
- 20.08.2016Biden holds calls with Cyprus president, Turkish Cypriot leader: White House
- 19.08.201618 Prime Ministry staff held in Turkey coup bid probe
- 19.08.2016PKK militant group claims responsibility for car bomb attack in eastern Turkey
- 19.08.2016U.S. confirms existence of nuclear weapons in Turkey
- 19.08.2016Scottish minister hails migrants' contribution to local society
- 19.08.2016Uber makes moves for self-driving technology
- 18.08.2016Manchester airport evacuated after suspicious bag found
- 18.08.2016Local leaders slam UK over Syrian child refugees
- 14.11.2012Floods cause massive damage in Italy
- 15.11.2012Montenegro hit with second quake in two days
- 15.11.2012Thousands protest against cuts in Spain
- 14.11.2012Poland Denies Funding Belarus Opposition
- 14.11.2012Turkey getting prepared for EU
- 14.11.2012EU calls on prisoners in Turkey to end hunger strike