Macedonian PM grateful for Hungary's support of Macedonia's EU, NATO ambitions
Gruevski made the remarks at a news conference held here jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.
Gruevski said his country had met all EU accession conditions and was ready to negotiate the entry, but was being held back because of a dispute with Greece, essentially over his country's name.
The Balkans could not become a stable region until Macedonia had been admitted to the EU and NATO and Hungary is committed to stability in Southeast Europe, Orban said at the news conference.
He agreed with Gruevski that resolution of Macedonia's name dispute with Greece should not be a prerequisite for starting EU accession talks.
The dispute had to be resolved, he said, but he suggested that resolution should become part of the EU negotiations rather than a condition for getting them going.
Macedonia has been an EU candidate since 2005, but the EU Council has not yet set a date for opening accession talks.
The country's EU aspirations have been blocked by Greece, which says that the name of Macedonia implies territorial claims against its northern province bearing the same name.
Greece also vetoed Macedonia's admission to NATO in 2008.
On bilateral ties between Hungary and Macedonia, Orban said there were significant untapped opportunities for economic cooperation. The two sides were setting up a joint economic commission, which will meet in January next year, he added.
Gruevski also had meetings with Hungarian President Janos Ader and Speaker of Parliament Laszlo Kover.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2016Italy rescues more than 3K migrants off Libyan coast
- 22.10.2016US defense secretary stresses alliance with Turkey
- 22.10.2016Turkish diplomats seek asylum in Germany after coup bid
- 21.10.2016Pentagon chief: Turkey should be involved in Mosul operation
- 21.10.2016Turkish Foreign Ministry official to visit Moscow next week
- 21.10.2016EC calls on EU states to determine visa waiver mechanism with Turkey
- 20.10.2016European development bank to fund new Turkish hospital
- 20.10.2016NATO chief Stoltenberg welcomes Humanitarian Pause in Aleppo read
- 20.10.2016Instability in Middle East Result of West's geopolitical practices - Lavrov
- 20.10.2016Russia's Putin says need to quicken work on new Syrian constitution
- 20.10.2016Poroshenko: "Russia agreed on deployment of an OSCE police mission in Donbass"
- 20.10.2016Oil prices jump on big U.S. crude stock drawdown
- 20.10.2016Italian judge sends 23 to trial in Berlusconi sex bribery case
- 20.10.2016Croatia parliament approves new conservative-led cabinet
- 19.10.2016Steinmeier sees small progress in Ukraine settlement
- 19.10.2016Putin, Merkel, Hollande, Poroshenko start talks on situation in Ukraine
- 19.10.2016EU refugee deal could collapse: Turkey's EU minister
- 19.10.2016ISIS terrorist captured dead in Ankara
- 19.10.2016Russian and Turkish presidents discuss Mosul offensive, Syrian crisis in phone talks
- 19.10.2016Belgian jets could be behind airstrike killing 6 people near Aleppo
- 18.10.2016At least 15 reportedly taken hostage in Belgium supermarket
- 18.10.2016Merkel, Hollande to discuss Syria with Putin
- 18.10.2016Explosion at BASF facility in Germany kills one, injures at least six
- 16.10.2016Lausanne talks have good consensus that could lead to Syria ceasefire - Kerry
- 16.10.2016Greek PM says economy will return to growth this year
- 16.10.2016No ceasefire agreement reached at Lausanne meeting on Syria - Turkish FM
- 15.10.2016Turkish PM slams foreign media's coverage of Turkey
- 15.10.20165.2 magnitude quake shakes Black Sea, tremors felt in Istanbul
- 15.10.2016Twin earthquakes hit Turkey’s Manisa
- 14.10.2016Turkey 'determined' to take part in Mosul offensive
- 14.10.2016Greece returns 60 migrants to Turkey under EU deal
- 14.10.2016Erdogan lashes out at Hillary Clinton
- 14.10.2016French Senate adopts bill criminalizing denial of so-called Armenian genocide
- 14.10.2016PKK terrorists kill 3 soldiers with remote controlled explosives in SE Turkey
- 14.10.2016Turkey's Antalya hit by rockets, no casualties reported
- 14.10.2016PKK roadside bombs leave 12 Turkish servicemen wounded
- 14.10.2016Poroshenko, Merkel plan trilateral Summit on Ukraine in coming days
- 14.10.2016Passenger plane evacuated, searched for bomb threat at Geneva airport
- 13.10.2016Turkey suspends over 180 judges, prosecutors over FETO
- 13.10.2016Turkey, Israel consider building gas pipeline: Israeli minister
- 14.11.2012Floods cause massive damage in Italy
- 15.11.2012Montenegro hit with second quake in two days
- 15.11.2012Thousands protest against cuts in Spain
- 14.11.2012Poland Denies Funding Belarus Opposition
- 14.11.2012Turkey getting prepared for EU
- 14.11.2012EU calls on prisoners in Turkey to end hunger strike