London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
Around 100 protesters gathered in central London on Thursday to urge the British and international communities to act against Syria’s Assad regime following reports of deaths of hundreds of civilians in Eastern Ghouta, APA reports quoting AA.
Organized via social media platforms, protesters came together at Picadilly Circus despite freezing weather conditions.
They drew attention to the latest bombing campaign targeting Eastern Ghouta where reports say more than 300 civilians have been killed.
Some placards held during the rally read “Down with chemical Assad”, “Save Ghouta” and “Drop food not bombs”.
The crowd also urged all countries to apply pressure on the Assad regime and its supporters to end attacks on civilians.
The death toll in Thursday’s regime airstrikes in Syria's Eastern Ghouta district has risen to 56, local sources told Anadolu Agency.
Airstrikes reportedly targeted residential parts of the besieged Damascus suburb, including Duma, Aftris and Hammuria.
More than 302 people have been killed in three days of attacks in Eastern Ghouta by the regime forces.
Over the course of the last three days, regime artillery barrages in Eastern Ghouta have destroyed 22 health centers, an orphanage and a mosque.
Home to some 400,000 civilian residents, Eastern Ghouta has remained under a crippling regime siege for the last five years, bringing the district to the verge of a humanitarian catastrophe.
Syria has been locked in a devastating conflict since early 2011 when the Assad regime cracked down on demonstrators with unexpected ferocity.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018UK: Tens of thousands march for Brexit deal referendum
- 23.06.2018OPEC decision on oil output lifts US energy sector, prices
- 23.06.2018Erdogan: New documents on top FETO member revealed
- 23.06.2018Group of OSCE Permanent Representatives return from fruitful trip to three countries of South Caucasus
- 22.06.2018France, Germany set to cooperate on next-generation ‘Superfighter’ jet
- 22.06.2018Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough in EU migration talks
- 22.06.2018Erdogan sheds light on Turkey’s new presidential system
- 22.06.2018Pompeo plans North Korea meeting at 'earliest possible date': U.S. spokeswoman
- 22.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro