Italy to vote on March 4, with hung parliament feared
Italy will vote on March 4 in an election expected to produce a hung parliament, instability and possible market turbulence in the euro zone’s third largest economy.
Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni’s cabinet set the date of the vote after the president dissolved parliament on Thursday, formally opening an election campaign which in practice has already been raging bitterly for weeks, APA reports quoting Reuters.
With opinion polls suggesting no one will win a parliamentary majority, Gentiloni said he would remain in office and ensure continuity until a new administration was in place.
As things stand, a center-right alliance around Silvio Berlusconi’s Forza Italia (Go Italy!) looks set to take the largest number of seats - potentially catapulting the 81-year-old four-times premier back to center stage even though he cannot become prime minister due to a tax fraud conviction.
Gentiloni told reporters at the end of his one-year spell in power that Italy should not fear uncertainty, noting that it was now common to many European countries.
“We mustn’t dramatize the risk of instability, we are quite inoculated against it,” he said, in reference to Italy’s frequent changes of government, adding that elsewhere in Europe there has been “an Italianisation of political systems”.
Germany is locked in talks to produce a new government after inconclusive elections, while Spain and Portugal have minority governments and Britain is in tangled negotiations over its exit from the European Union.
Related news releases
- 24.01.2018'260 terrorists neutralized' in Operation Olive Branch
- 24.01.2018At U.N., Russia proposes new inquiry into chemical attacks in Syria
- 24.01.2018Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Turkish army chief says all terrorists to pay price
- 23.01.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Georgia should have strong defense capabilities – U.S. envoy
- 23.01.2018U.S. delivers first batch of military equipment to Georgia
- 23.01.2018London van attacker meant to kill Muslims: Prosecutors
- 23.01.2018US officials arrive in Ankara to discuss Syria
- 23.01.2018Afrin op will go on until 'last terrorist neutralized'
- 22.01.2018Turkey: Operation in Syria targets terror groups
- 22.01.2018Turkey's gross debt climbs to $231.3B in 2017
- 22.01.2018Turkey’s Erdogan says Afrin operation won’t end before reaching its goal
- 22.01.2018Survey: 27% of Romanians in favor of unification with Moldova
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani schoolboy dies of meningococcemia in Georgia
- 22.01.2018Religious history teaching could be resumed in Georgian schools
- 22.01.2018Railway tunnel explosion in Georgia leaves 3 injured
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 29.12.2017Turkey, Russia ink $2.5 billion anti-missile system loan deal
- 29.12.201715 get life sentences over FETO links
- 30.12.2017Turkey, Russia sign S-400 missile defense system deal
- 28.12.2017Turkey, US restore visa services
- 28.12.2017Italian president dissolves parliament ahead of election
- 28.12.2017U.S. embassy in Ankara expected to announce end of visa suspension with Turkey