Islamophobic attack targets mosque in Netherlands
An under-construction mosque in southeastern Netherlands was targeted by a group of far-right extremists, head of the mosque said on Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The far-right ‘Identitair Verzet’ movement hanged anti-Islam banners at the roof of Tevhid mosque which is under construction in Venlo city.
Speaking to Anadolu Agency, Ahmet Dursun, head of Tevhid Mosque, condemned the incident and said there were many far-right extremists in their neighborhood, but they were not expecting such an attack.
“We’ve held talks with mayor and some other officials. They are supporting us," he said, adding: "We will take necessary measures not to experience such incidents again."
The group, which claimed the responsibility for the incident, draped banners reading “Stay away. The Netherlands belongs to us. We don't want mosque and Muslims in our neighborhood" both in Turkish and Dutch. They also shared the photos of banners on social media, and claimed they “occupied” the mosque.
In the past two months, PEGIDA, another far-right anti-Muslim movement, carried out a stunt at under-construction Selimiye Mosque in Veghel and an Islamic primary school in Leiden.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 11.02.2018SBU detained an Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol
- 11.02.2018The biggest problem of Ukraine is corruption – Poroshenko
- 10.02.2018Anti-racism protest after migrant shooting in Italy
- 03.09.2017Pope tells South Korean faith leaders to promote reconciliation
- 03.09.2017The German authorities refused Turkey to freezing the accounts of supporters of Gulen
- 04.09.2017Swiss offers mediation role in N. Korean nuke crisis
- 02.09.2017Erdogan continues telephone diplomacy on Myanmar crisis
- 01.09.2017US Marine Corps’ military arrive in Georgia
- 01.09.2017Margvelashvili: Muslim community of Georgia is an integral part of our society