Ireland: one rescued in rescue helicopter hunt
One of four crew members from a missing coastguard helicopter has been rescued off the west coast of the Republic of Ireland, APA reported citing BBC.
The man is understood to be in a critical condition.
Those on board lost contact at about 01:00 local time on Tuesday.
Debris has been spotted in the water and a search by helicopters, an Aer Corps plane and local fishing boats is focusing six miles to the west of Black Sod in County Mayo.
The aircraft was providing cover for another coastguard helicopter on a mission when contact was lost.
The Irish coastguard's Sligo-based helicopter had been responding to a distress call from a crewman in need of medical attention on a UK fishing vessel.
A second coastguard helicopter from Dublin, R116, had been assisting in the operation, about 150km west of Eagle Island, when it went missing.
Conditions were described as good when the two pilots, a winch man and a winch operator lost contact on their final approach to a refuelling depot.
Declan Geoghegan from the Irish Coast Guard said the accident had hit the "rescue family" hard.
"The Shannon-based helicopter spotted some debris in the water and the latest we have is that one crew member has been recovered in a critical condition," Mr Geoghegan told BBC Radio Foyle.
"We don't know what happened and obviously there will be an air accident investigation into it.
"We'll continue to search for the missing crew members until such time as we have recovered them and the flight recorder."
The Irish Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport expressed concern for the missing crew and their families.
"As the search for the Dublin-based helicopter R116 is currently under way I would like to express my sincere support and sympathies for all those involved," said Shane Ross.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017German parliament repels massive hacker attack
- 28.03.2017Scottish Parliament backs referendum call
- 28.03.2017Clashes in Paris over police killing of Chinese man
- 28.03.2017Scientists discover means to mass produce red blood cells for transfusions
- 26.03.2017Ukraine called the condition of Russia’s participation in “Eurovision”
- 26.03.2017Thousands hold pro-EU march in central London
- 26.03.2017Erdogan: Turkey may have Brexit-like referendum on EU
- 25.03.2017Turkey summons Swiss counsellor over PKK rally in Bern
- 25.03.2017Italian police detain over 120 protesters amid EU Summit in Rome
- 25.03.201718 injured as escalator in Hong Kong shopping mall suddenly reverses
- 25.03.2017Two more people detained in connection with London attack released, police say
- 25.03.2017Trump vows to begin working on tax reform following healthcare fallout
- 25.03.2017German Defense Minister slams Trump over remark on alleged Berlin's debt to NATO
- 24.03.2017Germany's Merkel: No alternative to two-state solution
- 24.03.2017Prosecution launches probe into Catalan gov’t preparations to hold referendum
- 24.03.2017France's Marine Le Pen begins Russia visit
- 24.03.2017250 migrants feared dead in new Mediterranean boat tragedy
- 24.03.2017Death toll from London terror act rises as injured man dies at hospital
- 24.03.2017European Parliament bans Turkey's Daily Sabah
- 24.03.2017Receb Tayyib Erdogan plans to meet Donald Trump in May
- 23.03.2017Erdogan calls British PM over London terror attack
- 23.03.2017London attack: Khalid Masood named as perpetrator
- 23.03.2017Isis claims responsibility for London terror attack that killed at least three victims
- 23.03.2017Georgia has initiated a new educational project for students of ethnic minorities.
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Russian charge d'affaires over soldier's death near Syria
- 23.03.2017London terror attack suspect was British-born and previously investigated by MI5 over extremism, May confirms
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Norway's envoy
- 23.03.2017Soldier martyred in PKK attack in southeast Turkey
- 23.03.2017Merkel's conservatives ahead of Germany's Social Democrats: poll
- 23.03.2017Five dead, around 40 injured in UK parliament 'terrorist' attack - UPDATED-3
- 23.03.2017Abu Izzadeen named as suspect in London terrorist attack
- 22.03.2017Theresa May to chair emergency meeting on Westminster terror attack
- 22.03.2017Turkey criticizes Netherlands over PKK Newroz rally
- 19.03.2017Man shot dead at Paris airport after attacking soldier
- 18.03.2017No other countries will quit EU after Britain: EU chief Juncker
- 18.03.2017Germany 'clearly supports terrorism': Turkish Presidential aide
- 18.03.2017Germany allows PKK marches, blocks Turkish politicians
- 18.03.2017G20 financial chiefs agree open trade is key to growth: Schaeuble
- 18.03.2017Turkish foreign ministry issues statement on 3rd anniversary of Crimea’s annexation
- 18.03.2017Two more killed in avalanche this week in Austria
- 14.03.2017G20 finance ministers to meet in Germany on March 17
- 14.03.2017German state of Saarland bans Turkish rallies
- 14.03.2017'EU is falling apart,' says Turkish FM
- 14.03.2017EU extends sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- 14.03.2017Some EU states cannot tolerate Turkey's rise: Erdogan
- 14.03.2017UK Prime Minister to keep EU waiting for Brexit announcement