Ireland: one rescued in rescue helicopter hunt
One of four crew members from a missing coastguard helicopter has been rescued off the west coast of the Republic of Ireland, APA reported citing BBC.
The man is understood to be in a critical condition.
Those on board lost contact at about 01:00 local time on Tuesday.
Debris has been spotted in the water and a search by helicopters, an Aer Corps plane and local fishing boats is focusing six miles to the west of Black Sod in County Mayo.
The aircraft was providing cover for another coastguard helicopter on a mission when contact was lost.
The Irish coastguard's Sligo-based helicopter had been responding to a distress call from a crewman in need of medical attention on a UK fishing vessel.
A second coastguard helicopter from Dublin, R116, had been assisting in the operation, about 150km west of Eagle Island, when it went missing.
Conditions were described as good when the two pilots, a winch man and a winch operator lost contact on their final approach to a refuelling depot.
Declan Geoghegan from the Irish Coast Guard said the accident had hit the "rescue family" hard.
"The Shannon-based helicopter spotted some debris in the water and the latest we have is that one crew member has been recovered in a critical condition," Mr Geoghegan told BBC Radio Foyle.
"We don't know what happened and obviously there will be an air accident investigation into it.
"We'll continue to search for the missing crew members until such time as we have recovered them and the flight recorder."
The Irish Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport expressed concern for the missing crew and their families.
"As the search for the Dublin-based helicopter R116 is currently under way I would like to express my sincere support and sympathies for all those involved," said Shane Ross.
Related news releases
- 30.04.2017Merkel: EU's Tusk to seek talks with Erdogan
- 29.04.2017EU states agree on Brexit guidelines: EC head Tusk
- 29.04.2017Current Speaker of Albanian Parliament elected President
- 29.04.2017Macedonian Crisis: Bulgarian leader calls for respect of democracy amid clashes
- 29.04.2017Four Turkish soldiers hurt in landmine blast
- 28.04.2017Strong winds cause damage across Georgia’s Poti
- 28.04.2017PACE president comments on calls for his resignation
- 28.04.2017Uncertainty grows over Agramunt’s presidency of PACE
- 28.04.2017Croatian PM rules out early election
- 28.04.2017Macedonian police fire stun grenades after protesters storm parliament
- 28.04.2017Protesters stormed into Macedonia's parliament and assaulted MPs - VIDEO
- 28.04.2017Turkish President: EU cannot question our democracy
- 27.04.2017Turkish supreme electoral body approves results of constitutional referendum
- 27.04.2017Soldier suspected of planning terror attack in Germany
- 27.04.2017Turkey’s ruling party to convene extraordinary congress on May 21
- 27.04.2017Russian warship sinks after collision off Istanbul coast, all soldiers rescued
- 27.04.2017Remains of 19th century Russian soldier found in Turkey
- 26.04.2017France's Hollande tells ministers to ensure big election defeat for Le Pen
- 26.04.2017FM Cavusoglu: Turkey will reconsider its relations with Council of Europe
- 26.04.2017Czech parliament adopts resolution condemning so-called “Armenian genocide”
- 26.04.2017Erdogan slams 'political' Council of Europe decision
- 26.04.2017Brexit takes center stage as Britain's election battle continues
- 25.04.2017EU leaders give mixed reaction to 1st round of French election outcome
- 25.04.2017Merkel proposes international fund to support women
- 25.04.2017PACE votes to reopen monitoring procedure against Turkey
- 25.04.2017Hollande urges French to reject Le Pen in presidential run-off vote
- 25.04.2017France's Marine Le Pen steps down as leader of party
- 25.04.2017Turkish Foreign Ministry: Trump's statement on 1915 events contains false definitions - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Turkey strongly condemns burning of its flag in Armenia
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session: No-confidence vote proposed due to Agramunt’s Syria visit
- 24.04.2017PACE spring session to start today
- 24.04.2017Macron, Le Pen win first round of French presidential election
- 23.04.2017Tens of thousands protest German AfD party conference
- 23.04.2017Turkey to offer EU new proposal on visa waiver in May
- 22.04.2017Georgian opposition demands referendum on constitutional changes
- 22.04.2017Man arrested at Paris train station after threatening police with knife
- 22.04.2017French authorities identify Paris attacker
- 21.04.2017Turkish opposition party takes referendum row to Ankara court
- 21.04.2017British PM May says June election result 'not certain'
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 14.03.2017G20 finance ministers to meet in Germany on March 17
- 14.03.2017German state of Saarland bans Turkish rallies
- 14.03.2017'EU is falling apart,' says Turkish FM
- 14.03.2017EU extends sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- 14.03.2017Some EU states cannot tolerate Turkey's rise: Erdogan
- 14.03.2017UK Prime Minister to keep EU waiting for Brexit announcement