Iran, Turkey look to enhance ties
Improving cooperation between Turkey and Iran would make a significant contribution to solving regional problems, Iran's president said on Monday, on the eve of a visit by his counterpart, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Hassan Rouhani made the remarks while receiving Turkish Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar at the presidential palace in Tehran.
Stating that relations between the two countries in the areas of the economy and foreign policy are already healthy, he said, “We should also work to improve relations in the fields of the military and defense.”
Akar’s visit came two days before Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will pay an official visit to Tehran on Wednesday.
"Expanding cooperation between the armed forces of Iran and Turkey, and their sharing experiences in various areas, will help to eliminate regional threats," he said.
Last week, northern Iraq's Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) held an illegitimate referendum on secession from Iraq, despite regional and international opposition and warnings that the vote would cause regional unrest.
Rouhani stated that the deterioration of geographical boundaries would harm regional security and stability.
Akar also underlined the importance of boosting bilateral ties.
“Turkey and Iran, as two important and powerful countries of the region, will play an important role in the region's stability and peace with improving cooperation," he said.
Akar added that Turkey respects the territorial integrity of all the countries in the region, highlighting Syria and Iraq.
The Turkish General Staff chief also said that cooperation between the Turkish and Iranian armed forces should be strengthened in the areas of human trafficking, drug trafficking, and ensuring regional security.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili asks Ukraine for political asylum
- 03.10.2017Controversial anti-terror law passes hurdle in France
- 04.10.2017Hundreds gather near Spanish embassy in Paris
- 02.10.2017Catalan leader calls for international mediation in Madrid stand-off
- 02.10.2017Special operation conducted in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 02.10.2017Georgian Justice Minister condemns urging of voters to swear to Koran