Iran, Turkey look to enhance ties
Improving cooperation between Turkey and Iran would make a significant contribution to solving regional problems, Iran's president said on Monday, on the eve of a visit by his counterpart, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Hassan Rouhani made the remarks while receiving Turkish Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar at the presidential palace in Tehran.
Stating that relations between the two countries in the areas of the economy and foreign policy are already healthy, he said, “We should also work to improve relations in the fields of the military and defense.”
Akar’s visit came two days before Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will pay an official visit to Tehran on Wednesday.
"Expanding cooperation between the armed forces of Iran and Turkey, and their sharing experiences in various areas, will help to eliminate regional threats," he said.
Last week, northern Iraq's Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) held an illegitimate referendum on secession from Iraq, despite regional and international opposition and warnings that the vote would cause regional unrest.
Rouhani stated that the deterioration of geographical boundaries would harm regional security and stability.
Akar also underlined the importance of boosting bilateral ties.
“Turkey and Iran, as two important and powerful countries of the region, will play an important role in the region's stability and peace with improving cooperation," he said.
Akar added that Turkey respects the territorial integrity of all the countries in the region, highlighting Syria and Iraq.
The Turkish General Staff chief also said that cooperation between the Turkish and Iranian armed forces should be strengthened in the areas of human trafficking, drug trafficking, and ensuring regional security.
Related news releases
- 20.03.20184 PKK terrorists surrender in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Soldier, village guard martyred in SE Turkey
- 19.03.2018Britain wins fresh EU, NATO support over nerve attack
- 19.03.2018PKK terror attack kills villager in eastern Turkey
- 19.03.2018Putin, Macron mull situation in Syria
- 19.03.2018Erdogan: Turkish Army may enter Iraq’s Sinjar
- 19.03.2018EU demands Russia urgently hands over all information on Novichok nerve agent programme
- 19.03.2018Turkish embassy in Denmark attacked with petrol bombs, no injuries - police
- 18.03.2018U.K. should consider extending Brexit talks, Commons Panel says
- 18.03.2018Demonstrations against racism erupt across the U.K.
- 18.03.2018Maldives police arrest 139 opposition protesters under emergency rule
- 17.03.2018Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter
- 17.03.2018Turkish PM blasts EU parliament motion on Afrin operation
- 17.03.2018European powers propose new Iran sanctions to meet Trump ultimatum
- 17.03.2018Former columnist of defunct Turkish daily released
- 17.03.2018Turkish military denies bombing hospital in Afrin
- 17.03.2018PYD/PKK explosives kill 6 civilians in Afrin village
- 17.03.2018Erdogan talks to NATO chief, Ukrainian president
- 17.03.2018Palestinian ramming attack kills 2 Israeli soldiers in West Bank: military
- 16.03.2018EU starts retaliation process against U.S. tariffs
- 16.03.2018UK treating death of Russian businessman Glushkov as murder: police
- 16.03.2018Boris Johnson: “Overwhelmingly likely” Putin ordered nerve agent attack
- 16.03.2018Turkey, US still discuss Manbij issue: State Dept. Spox
- 16.03.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss counter-terrorism over phone
- 15.03.2018EU to propose 3 percent digital tax on turnover of large firms: draft
- 15.03.2018Slovakian prime minister resigns amid journalist murder
- 15.03.2018UK, US, France and Germany blame Russia for nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018Turkish FM's US visit postponed
- 15.03.2018New German FM to 'pursue more active foreign policy'
- 15.03.2018German diesel ban to hit vehicle resale values, sales: Moody's
- 14.03.2018US diplomat: Finding solution for Kosovo everyone's job
- 14.03.2018Georgia’s ethnic minorities appeal to Russian president
- 14.03.2018UK to expel 23 Russian diplomats over Skripal case
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijanis hold protest rally outside UN office in Tbilisi
- 14.03.2018Angela Merkel reelected as German Chancellor
- 14.03.2018Erdogan ‘hopes’ Afrin is liberated ‘by this evening’
- 14.03.2018Stephen Hawking dies aged 76
- 14.03.2018Federica Mogherin: "Trump-Kim summit could resolve Korean nuclear issue"
- 14.03.2018Bird flu found on Netherlands farm
- 14.03.2018Former Russian Aeroflot director found dead in London
- 03.10.2017Saakashvili asks Ukraine for political asylum
- 03.10.2017Controversial anti-terror law passes hurdle in France
- 04.10.2017Hundreds gather near Spanish embassy in Paris
- 02.10.2017Catalan leader calls for international mediation in Madrid stand-off
- 02.10.2017Special operation conducted in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 02.10.2017Georgian Justice Minister condemns urging of voters to swear to Koran