Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
Greek police fired teargas at anti-austerity protesters rallying outside parliament in Athens on Thursday as lawmakers debated further spending cuts demanded by the country's international lenders in exchange for bailout funds, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A small group of hooded protesters broke away from a rally of about 10,000 demonstrators and hurled petrol bombs and firecrackers at police guarding parliament. Police responded with teargas dispersing the crowd temporarily.
As the clashes broke out, Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras was delivering a speech in parliament defending proposed legislation which includes pension cuts and tax hikes to be implemented in 2019 and 2020, if adopted later on Thursday.
A vote was expected around midnight local time (2100 GMT).
Tsipras' coalition, which came to power in 2015 promising to end austerity but was forced to sign up to a third bailout later that year, has a slim majority of 153 lawmakers in the 300-seat parliament.
The leftist-led government hopes that legislating the measures, four days before euro zone finance ministers meet in Brussels, will convince its lenders to release a 7.5 billion euro bailout tranche and grant it further debt relief.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017NATO says it sees stability in South Caucasus as priority
- 26.05.201729 terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 26.05.2017Ankara criticizes US resolution over DC clash
- 26.05.2017Manchester police searching house in Wigan after Monday's deadly terror attack
- 26.05.2017Stoltenberg: NATO to become part of US-led coalition against Daesh
- 25.05.2017Former Greek prime minister injured in explosion
- 25.05.2017Turkish FM says it is time for EU to decide on Turkey
- 25.05.2017UK: Additional arrests in bomb investigation
- 25.05.2017Turkey denies restricting Russian agricultural imports
- 24.05.2017Manchester bomber was part of a network: police
- 24.05.2017Counter-terrorism police arrest man at Standsted Airport
- 24.05.2017G7 States to adopt special statement on anti-terror fight after Manchester blast
- 24.05.2017Turkish foreign minister arrives in Rome
- 24.05.2017UK Prime Minister raises terror threat level, says next attack 'imminent'
- 23.05.2017Ethiopian former health minister elected new director general of World Health Organization
- 23.05.2017Erdogan: "Be careful when naming Turkish sports centers"
- 23.05.2017Manchester's Arndale shopping center evacuated, witnesses heard "big bang"
- 23.05.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attack
- 23.05.2017Children among 22 killed in Manchester Arena attack - UPDATED
- 18.05.2017'Unacceptable preconditions cannot solve Cyprus issue'
- 18.05.2017Irish PM Kenny steps down as party leader
- 17.05.20172 Turkish ex-generals seeking asylum in Germany
- 17.05.2017European Parliament signs visa liberalization for Ukraine
- 17.05.2017Georgia expresses concern over EU representative’s visit to South Ossetia
- 17.05.2017Next meeting of Turkish, the U.S. Presidents to be held on late of May
- 17.05.2017Non-resettling EU states to face legal challenge
- 16.05.2017325 Georgian ‘thieves in law’ live in post-Soviet territory and EU countries – minister
- 16.05.2017CoE urges Serbia to recognize Srebrenica genocide
- 16.05.2017EU Foreign Ministers support continuation of anti-Russian sanctions
- 16.05.2017Merkel, new French President Macron agree to 'work closely together'
- 16.05.2017Turkish PM: EU 'has become a very bureaucratic state'
- 15.05.2017France's Macron names Republican Philippe as PM
- 15.05.2017Merkel: Germany will move its soldiers if Turkey refuses lawmaker visit
- 14.05.2017Death toll of plane accident in BiH rises to 5
- 14.05.2017Erdogan praises role of mothers in shaping societies
- 14.05.2017Four dead, five injured as Greek train derails, slams into home - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017At least 10 injured in Greek train derailment
- 12.05.20173 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 11.05.2017Majority of EU citizens consider Bloc's actions on migration 'inadequate'
- 11.05.2017Turkish, US delegations hold surprise Gulen talks
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 23.05.2017Theresa May calls Manchester Arena Explosion 'an appalling terrorist attack'
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey