Greek police fire teargas at protesters outside parliament
Greek police fired teargas at anti-austerity protesters rallying outside parliament in Athens on Thursday as lawmakers debated further spending cuts demanded by the country's international lenders in exchange for bailout funds, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A small group of hooded protesters broke away from a rally of about 10,000 demonstrators and hurled petrol bombs and firecrackers at police guarding parliament. Police responded with teargas dispersing the crowd temporarily.
As the clashes broke out, Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras was delivering a speech in parliament defending proposed legislation which includes pension cuts and tax hikes to be implemented in 2019 and 2020, if adopted later on Thursday.
A vote was expected around midnight local time (2100 GMT).
Tsipras' coalition, which came to power in 2015 promising to end austerity but was forced to sign up to a third bailout later that year, has a slim majority of 153 lawmakers in the 300-seat parliament.
The leftist-led government hopes that legislating the measures, four days before euro zone finance ministers meet in Brussels, will convince its lenders to release a 7.5 billion euro bailout tranche and grant it further debt relief.
Related news releases
- 27.07.2017Turkish parliament passes bylaw changes
- 27.07.2017UK to send warship to South China Sea, raising tensions with Beijing
- 27.07.2017Georgian president: Saakashvili shouldn’t have left the country
- 27.07.2017PM: Pence’s forthcoming visit indicative of US support to Georgia
- 27.07.2017Saakashvili rejects refugee status after loss of Ukrainian citizenship
- 27.07.2017EU court keeps Hamas on terrorism list, removes Tamil Tigers
- 26.07.2017Georgian population think rights of national minorities are violated
- 26.07.2017Merve Kavakci appointed as ambassador
- 26.07.2017US tanks, armored vehicles arrive in Georgia
- 26.07.2017Ethnic minorities in Georgia support country’s EU membership
- 26.07.2017France: 10,000 evacuated after new wildfire on Mediterranean coast
- 26.07.20172 teens hospitalized in new London acid attack
- 26.07.2017Swiss chainsaw attacker arrested after international manhunt
- 25.07.2017EU, Turkey reflect on high-level meeting
- 25.07.2017Turkey eyes changes to residency, citizenship rules
- 25.07.2017Erdogan says West’s embargo plan against Turkey won’t yield any result
- 25.07.2017Erdogan calls on world Muslims over Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.07.2017Erdogan: Purchasing S-400 from Russia not 'worrying'
- 25.07.2017NATO steps in to resolve Turkey-Germany dispute
- 25.07.2017Turkey: 9 PKK terrorists killed in Hakkari in a week
- 25.07.2017Israel heads towards isolation says Turkish president
- 24.07.2017Polish president blocks judiciary reforms after days of protests
- 24.07.2017Panic in Swiss town after man with chainsaw attacks people
- 24.07.2017US ambassador highlights importance of Georgian region predominantly populated by Azerbaijanis
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 21.05.2017Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change
- 22.05.2017Man responsible for killing Russian Su-24 pilot in 2015 sentenced to five years
- 23.05.2017Theresa May calls Manchester Arena Explosion 'an appalling terrorist attack'
- 18.05.2017Turkish president: "Turkey to take part in new balance of power"
- 18.05.2017Turkish Economy Minister: "Ankara wants to remove barriers in Turkish-Russian trade"
- 18.05.20176 PKK terrorists killed in airstrike in SE Turkey