Global unemployment tops 200 million
Global unemployment rose by 3.4 million this year compared to 2016 and surpassed 200 million, the UN's International Labour Organization (ILO) said on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Over 201 million workers worldwide are currently unemployed, an increase of 3.4 million compared to 2016," the ILO’s World Employment and Social Outlook 2017 report said.
Noting that enterprises, particularly small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), played a crucial role in creating decent jobs around the globe, the report said: "Between 2003 and 2016, the number of full-time employees within SMEs nearly doubled, with the share of total employment attributable to SMEs rising from 31 percent to 35 percent."
"However, in the past year, their contribution to total employment has stagnated. Between 2015 and 2016 the contribution of SMEs to total employment remained virtually unchanged, increasing from 34.6 to 34.8 percent," the report added.
SMEs account for 52 percent of total employment in developing economies, compared with 41 percent in developed economies, the ILO said.
"The global unemployment rate stands at 5.8 per ent, and is not expected to drop any time soon," ILO warned.
"Despite some progress made over the past decades, nearly 780 million workers in emerging and developing countries (corresponding to almost every third worker) are still living in conditions of extreme or moderate poverty," said the report.
The report also said the private sector in 2016 employed 2.8 billion individuals worldwide, representing 87 percent of total employment.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018UK: Tens of thousands march for Brexit deal referendum
- 23.06.2018OPEC decision on oil output lifts US energy sector, prices
- 23.06.2018Erdogan: New documents on top FETO member revealed
- 23.06.2018Group of OSCE Permanent Representatives return from fruitful trip to three countries of South Caucasus
- 22.06.2018France, Germany set to cooperate on next-generation ‘Superfighter’ jet
- 22.06.2018Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough in EU migration talks
- 22.06.2018Erdogan sheds light on Turkey’s new presidential system
- 22.06.2018Pompeo plans North Korea meeting at 'earliest possible date': U.S. spokeswoman
- 22.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 10.10.2017Erdogan arrives in Belgrade for two-day visit
- 10.10.2017EU urges Catalonia's leader not to declare independence
- 10.10.2017Leader of Catalonia suggests suspending independence process - UPDATED-2
- 09.10.2017First round of elections for UNESCO Director-General not bring results
- 09.10.2017US visa suspension decision upsetting: Erdogan
- 09.10.2017PACE president not elected in second round