Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
Germany’s liberal Free Democrats has ruled out new talks with the Greens for a three-way coalition government, further complicating Chancellor Angela Merkel’s efforts to break the current political deadlock, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Free Democratic Party (FDP) leader Christian Lindner accused Greens on Wednesday for floating conspiracy theories and making hostile comments about the Free Democrats.
“For the FDP, a cooperation with the Greens at the federal level is not conceivable in the foreseeable future,” Lindner told Spiegel Online, and ruled out resumption of coalition talks.
Merkel’s efforts to create a three-way government, including her conservative CDU/CSU bloc, liberal FDP and pro-environment Greens failed on Sunday, after Lindner walked out of the negotiations.
The failure of preliminary coalition talks, after weeks-long negotiations, has led to political uncertainty in the EU’s largest economy.
Merkel’s CDU/CSU was the largest bloc after federal elections on Sept. 24, but it failed to secure an absolute majority in parliament.
The Social Democratic Party (SPD), which remained the second largest party in parliament, had refused to enter coalition talks with Merkel’s CDU/CSU bloc.
SPD’s leader Martin Schulz said last month that election result meant voters had rejected the option of another “grand coalition” between the SPD and the CDU/CSU, and gave Social Democrats the role of main opposition.
President Frank-Walter Steinmeier is scheduled to meet Schulz on Thursday, to encourage compromise and facilitate formation of a coalition government.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED