Germany's liberal party rejects coalition with Greens
Germany’s liberal Free Democrats has ruled out new talks with the Greens for a three-way coalition government, further complicating Chancellor Angela Merkel’s efforts to break the current political deadlock, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Free Democratic Party (FDP) leader Christian Lindner accused Greens on Wednesday for floating conspiracy theories and making hostile comments about the Free Democrats.
“For the FDP, a cooperation with the Greens at the federal level is not conceivable in the foreseeable future,” Lindner told Spiegel Online, and ruled out resumption of coalition talks.
Merkel’s efforts to create a three-way government, including her conservative CDU/CSU bloc, liberal FDP and pro-environment Greens failed on Sunday, after Lindner walked out of the negotiations.
The failure of preliminary coalition talks, after weeks-long negotiations, has led to political uncertainty in the EU’s largest economy.
Merkel’s CDU/CSU was the largest bloc after federal elections on Sept. 24, but it failed to secure an absolute majority in parliament.
The Social Democratic Party (SPD), which remained the second largest party in parliament, had refused to enter coalition talks with Merkel’s CDU/CSU bloc.
SPD’s leader Martin Schulz said last month that election result meant voters had rejected the option of another “grand coalition” between the SPD and the CDU/CSU, and gave Social Democrats the role of main opposition.
President Frank-Walter Steinmeier is scheduled to meet Schulz on Thursday, to encourage compromise and facilitate formation of a coalition government.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Italy's League rallies in Milan as tense election campaign winds up
- 23.02.2018EU leaders agree to spend more on migration, defense, security
- 23.02.2018Turkey’s Erdogan calls U.S. Defense Department ‘immoral’
- 23.02.2018NCGA says concerned about anti-Azerbaijani and anti-Turkish reports in Georgian media
- 23.02.2018Turkey strongly condemns Dutch view of 1915 events
- 23.02.2018Slovenian army chief sacked after NATO test failure
- 23.02.2018London protest urges action over Eastern Ghouta bombing
- 22.02.2018Montenegro's Minister of European Affairs resigns
- 22.02.2018Car rams into group of children in Slovakia: 12 injured
- 22.02.2018Explosive device thrown at U.S. embassy building in Montenegro
- 22.02.2018Merkel ally blasts foreign minister for questioning NATO target
- 22.02.2018Germany backs resolution of Macedonia name row: Merkel
- 21.02.2018Britain wants to discuss length of Brexit transition with EU
- 21.02.2018Macron plans tighter asylum rules in test of parliamentary majority
- 20.02.2018Turkey will eradicate FETO all over world, Erdogan says
- 20.02.2018Northern Ireland Facing Epidemic of Suicide
- 20.02.2018U.S. attaches great importance to stability in region – Georgian PM
- 20.02.2018Turkish army to lay siege to Afrin city center soon: Erdogan
- 20.02.2018Turkey remands 13 for promoting PKK/KCK on social media
- 20.02.2018Turkish, Russian, Iranian FMs to meet in 2 weeks
- 20.02.2018Turkey warns against pro-Syria regime militia in Afrin
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 23.11.2017French leader calls migrant trade in Libya inhuman
- 23.11.2017Vatican confirms Pope Francis to see Myanmar army chief
- 23.11.2017Tbilisi hosts charity event for Azerbaijani children
- 23.11.2017Counter-terror cooperation can rebuild Turkey, EU ties
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED