Germany allows PKK marches, blocks Turkish politicians
German officials Saturday allowed terrorist PKK followers to march in the city of Frankfurt, in marked contrast to its recently blocking Turkish ministers and politicians from addressing Turkish voters in the country, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Around 9,000 people marched in the central German city of Frankfurt with banned PKK posters and flags, openly defying the federal government's prohibition of terrorist symbols in public places.
The PKK sympathizers also carried banned posters and flags and shouted slogans against Turkey, even though the Interior Ministry on March 2 updated its list of prohibited PKK symbols to include the image of the terrorist organization's jailed head Abdullah Ocalan.
A Frankfurt police statement said the group was permitted to carry out celebrations of Nevruz -- a spring new year festival -- in two parts of the city Saturday, adding that the main topics of the meetings were Nevruz, "Freedom for Ocalan," and "Freedom for Kurdistan."
This comes despite German authorities blocking nearly two dozen planned rallies by Turkish government ministers or politicians ahead of an April 16 referendum on constitutional changes in Turkey.
The moves have drawn Ankara’s ire, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan comparing the move to Nazi-era practices.
Nearly 3 million Turkish immigrants live in Germany, and around half are eligible to vote in Turkey’s April 16 referendum on the proposed constitutional change for a transition to a presidential system of governance, among other changes.
Turkish citizens in Germany will cast their votes at nine consulates and four other polling stations between March 27 and April 9.
Germany outlawed the PKK in 1993 but the group is still active in the country, with more than 14,000 followers.
Since the use of the PKK flag was banned earlier by the German authorities, followers of the group often carry flags bearing the image of Ocalan in rallies organized across the country, although that image too was recently banned.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015 and since then has been responsible for the deaths of approximately 1,200 security personnel and civilians, including women and children.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Turkish president: "No more comfort for terrorists' in Turkey"
- 30.03.2017EU chief lashes out at Trump for Brexit support
- 30.03.2017Turkish FM criticizes US in talks with Tillerson
- 30.03.2017Erdogan, Tillerson discuss FETO, Daesh
- 30.03.2017Dutch coalition gov't talks begin
- 30.03.2017Germany to Britain: No talks on future EU ties until Brexit terms clear
- 30.03.2017Operation Euphrates Shield ends: Turkish PM - UPDATED
- 29.03.2017Nearly 150 migrants feared dead after boat sinks, sole survivor says
- 29.03.2017Poland summons Ukraine’s ambassador due to shelling of consulate in Lutsk
- 29.03.2017Central European leaders discuss Brexit, migration policy in Warsaw
- 29.03.2017Fillon's wife Penelope under formal investigation
- 28.03.2017German parliament repels massive hacker attack
- 28.03.2017Scottish Parliament backs referendum call
- 28.03.2017Clashes in Paris over police killing of Chinese man
- 28.03.2017Scientists discover means to mass produce red blood cells for transfusions
- 26.03.2017Ukraine called the condition of Russia’s participation in “Eurovision”
- 26.03.2017Thousands hold pro-EU march in central London
- 26.03.2017Erdogan: Turkey may have Brexit-like referendum on EU
- 25.03.2017Turkey summons Swiss counsellor over PKK rally in Bern
- 25.03.2017Italian police detain over 120 protesters amid EU Summit in Rome
- 25.03.201718 injured as escalator in Hong Kong shopping mall suddenly reverses
- 25.03.2017Two more people detained in connection with London attack released, police say
- 25.03.2017Trump vows to begin working on tax reform following healthcare fallout
- 25.03.2017German Defense Minister slams Trump over remark on alleged Berlin's debt to NATO
- 24.03.2017Germany's Merkel: No alternative to two-state solution
- 24.03.2017Prosecution launches probe into Catalan gov’t preparations to hold referendum
- 24.03.2017France's Marine Le Pen begins Russia visit
- 24.03.2017250 migrants feared dead in new Mediterranean boat tragedy
- 24.03.2017Death toll from London terror act rises as injured man dies at hospital
- 24.03.2017European Parliament bans Turkey's Daily Sabah
- 24.03.2017Receb Tayyib Erdogan plans to meet Donald Trump in May
- 23.03.2017Erdogan calls British PM over London terror attack
- 23.03.2017London attack: Khalid Masood named as perpetrator
- 23.03.2017Isis claims responsibility for London terror attack that killed at least three victims
- 23.03.2017Georgia has initiated a new educational project for students of ethnic minorities.
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Russian charge d'affaires over soldier's death near Syria
- 23.03.2017London terror attack suspect was British-born and previously investigated by MI5 over extremism, May confirms
- 23.03.2017Turkey summons Norway's envoy
- 23.03.2017Soldier martyred in PKK attack in southeast Turkey
- 23.03.2017Merkel's conservatives ahead of Germany's Social Democrats: poll
- 18.03.2017Germany 'clearly supports terrorism': Turkish Presidential aide
- 18.03.2017No other countries will quit EU after Britain: EU chief Juncker
- 19.03.2017Man shot dead at Paris airport after attacking soldier
- 18.03.2017G20 financial chiefs agree open trade is key to growth: Schaeuble
- 18.03.2017Turkish foreign ministry issues statement on 3rd anniversary of Crimea’s annexation
- 18.03.2017Two more killed in avalanche this week in Austria