German terror PYD/PKK suspect arrested in SE Turkey
A German national suspected of links to the terrorist PYD/PKK was arrested in southeastern Turkey on Tuesday, security sources said, APA reports quoting AA.
Patrick Kraicker, 28, was arrested on March 14 in Silopi in the Sirnak province when trying to enter Syria, said the sources, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
During the arrest, police also reportedly seized various documents, digital materials, and photos related to the terrorist PKK/PYD.
When questioned by police, Kraicker reportedly said that he had been in the German army for four years and wanted to go to Syria to join the PYD/PKK.
Kraicker was remanded on charges of assisting and abetting the terrorist PYD/PKK.
It was also reportedly confirmed that the suspect had entered Turkey twice.
The terrorist PYD/PKK is the Syrian branch of the terrorist PKK, and a main target of Turkey’s ongoing counter-terrorist Operation Olive Branch in Afrin, Syria, just south of the Turkish border.
More than 1,200 people, including security force personnel and civilians, have lost their lives since the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and EU -- resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July 2015.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 28.03.2018Turkish FM sees positive steps in ties with EU
- 29.03.2018Georgia expels Russian diplomat in solidarity with UK
- 29.03.2018Georgian PM denies reports he will face resignation
- 27.03.2018Putin and Erdogan discuss preparations for Russia-Turkey-Iran summit in Ankara - UPDATED
- 27.03.2018Turkish army clears Syria’s Tal Rifaat of PYD/YPG terrorists
- 27.03.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs discuss counter-terrorism over phone