German terror PYD/PKK suspect arrested in SE Turkey
A German national suspected of links to the terrorist PYD/PKK was arrested in southeastern Turkey on Tuesday, security sources said, APA reports quoting AA.
Patrick Kraicker, 28, was arrested on March 14 in Silopi in the Sirnak province when trying to enter Syria, said the sources, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
During the arrest, police also reportedly seized various documents, digital materials, and photos related to the terrorist PKK/PYD.
When questioned by police, Kraicker reportedly said that he had been in the German army for four years and wanted to go to Syria to join the PYD/PKK.
Kraicker was remanded on charges of assisting and abetting the terrorist PYD/PKK.
It was also reportedly confirmed that the suspect had entered Turkey twice.
The terrorist PYD/PKK is the Syrian branch of the terrorist PKK, and a main target of Turkey’s ongoing counter-terrorist Operation Olive Branch in Afrin, Syria, just south of the Turkish border.
More than 1,200 people, including security force personnel and civilians, have lost their lives since the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and EU -- resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July 2015.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 28.03.2018Turkish FM sees positive steps in ties with EU
- 29.03.2018Georgia expels Russian diplomat in solidarity with UK
- 29.03.2018Georgian PM denies reports he will face resignation
- 27.03.2018Putin and Erdogan discuss preparations for Russia-Turkey-Iran summit in Ankara - UPDATED
- 27.03.2018Turkish army clears Syria’s Tal Rifaat of PYD/YPG terrorists
- 27.03.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs discuss counter-terrorism over phone