German state of Saarland bans Turkish rallies
Germany’s small western state of Saarland has announced Tuesday that it has decided to ban political rallies held by Turkish politicians, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Saarland’s state premier Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has claimed that appearances by Turkish politicians in Germany ahead of Turkey’s constitutional referendum next month would undermine social harmony in the country.
“Internal conflicts of Turkey have no place in Germany. Election appearances which endanger domestic peace in our country should be banned,” she said in a press release.
Saarland, which is one of Germany’s smallest federal states, has taken the controversial decision ahead of state elections on March 26.
The state bordering France has a small Turkish community. Nevertheless, it has become the first federal state imposing such a general ban.
Nearly 3 million Turkish immigrants live in Germany and around half are eligible to vote in Turkey’s April 16 referendum on the proposed constitutional change for a transition to a presidential system.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has so far rejected calls by opposition parties for a general ban on campaign rallies by Turkish politicians, provided that German laws and regulations are respected.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling AKP urges 160 countries where FETO network operates to be careful
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling party says July 15 coup attempt was backed by foreign forces
- 14.03.2017'EU is falling apart,' says Turkish FM
- 15.03.2017Turkish PM awaits apology from Netherlands
- 15.03.2017US urges cooler heads amid Turkey-Netherlands spat
- 14.03.2017G20 finance ministers to meet in Germany on March 17
- 14.03.2017Ireland: one rescued in rescue helicopter hunt
- 14.03.2017EU extends sanctions over Ukraine crisis