French police detain Russian senator in Nice — embassy
French police officers in Nice have detained Russian businessman Suleiman Kerimov, a legislator from the Federation Council upper house of the Russian parliament, the press service of the Russian Embassy to France told TASS on Tuesday, APA reports quoting TASS.
"Suleiman Kerimov was detained at the airport of Nice late on November 20, he was taken to a police station," the embassy said.
"Right after the information came, officers from the secretariat of the Russian Consulate General in Villefranche-sur-Mer left for the airport of Nice. They promptly arrived at the airport and secured a meeting with Kerimov, it was at about 3:30 am (5:30 am, Moscow time)," the embassy said.
There have been no official accusations as of yet. The Russian senator is still at a police station in Nice, the embassy said. It is unclear at the moment how long he will stay in custody in France.
‘At the present time, all Russian consular services stay in constant touch with the French authorities, all possible assistance is provided to the Russian senator," the embassy said.
Moscow has informed Paris that Suleiman Kerimov is a senator, is holder of diplomatic passport and has diplomatic immunity in other states, Russian Foreign Ministry sources told TASS on Tuesday.
"The French Foreign Ministry and the Embassy in Moscow have been informed that Suleiman Kerimov is member of the Federation Council, is a country’s official and as such has immunity against enforcement action on the territory of other states," the ministry said. "He holds the diplomatic passport," it said.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 12.05.2018Aircraft crash in Spain's Catalonia leaves 3 people killed
- 12.05.2018Turkish minister warns EU over post-Brexit UK role
- 12.05.2018Police raid night clubs in Tbilisi, arrest 8 people for drug trafficking
- 12.05.2018White House urges 'responsible nations' to press Iran to change behavior
- 12.05.2018UK's May and Trump agree talks needed over Iranian sanctions
- 11.05.2018Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout
- 11.05.2018Turkish president to visit UK on May 13
- 11.05.2018Deputy FM: Georgia, Azerbaijan ensure peace and stability in region
- 11.05.2018Erdogan and Putin discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 10.05.2018Merkel reaffirms commitment to Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018Europe has limited opportunity to preserve nuclear deal, Rouhani tells Macron
- 09.05.2018U.S. to lose after opting out of Iran nuclear deal, Erdoğan says
- 09.05.2018Russian Ambassador to Portugal dies suddenly
- 09.05.2018Turkey: US decision on Iran deal to cause instability
- 08.05.2018Trump did not inform Macron of plans for Iran deal - French president's office
- 08.05.2018UK's Johnson to Trump: Iran deal has weaknesses but don't dump it
- 08.05.2018Germany, France reiterate commitment to Iran nuke deal
- 07.05.2018Erdogan: West cannot bear Turkey’s position in Balkans
- 07.05.20187 detained in operation in predominantly Azerbaijani district in Georgia
- 22.11.2017Ratko Mladic sentenced to life in prison for Bosnia genocide
- 22.11.2017Counter-terrorism operation in Tbilisi ends, 3 detained - UPDATED
- 22.11.2017Three suspects killed in anti-terrorist operation in Tbilisi
- 21.11.2017Georgia will not use military equipment to be purchased from U.S. against any country – deputy minister
- 21.11.2017Turkey not considering severing ties with NATO, says Erdogan’s spokesman
- 21.11.2017Turkish aide calls for investigation of NATO incident