French leader promises to support SDF in Syria
The French President recalled “the commitment of France against the PKK and its commitment to the security of Turkey” during his meeting with the PYD/PKK-led SDF delegation, according to a presidency statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting AA.
The written statement by the Elysee Palace said that the delegation briefed Emmanuel Macron on the humanitarian situation in northern Syria.
Stating that Macron assured the SDF of France's support against Daesh, it added the support was particularly for “the stabilization of the security zone in the north-east of Syria, within the framework of an inclusive and balanced governance, to prevent any resurgence of Daesh in the waiting of a political solution to the Syrian conflict”.
Recalling the commitment of his country against the PKK terror group and its commitment to Turkey’s security, he also acknowledged that SDF had “no operational link with this terrorist group”.
The U.S. has supported the PYD/PKK under the name of SDF, which is considered by Ankara as the Syrian offshoot of the PKK terror organization that has waged a more than 30-year war against the Turkish state.
American support for the terror group has long vexed Ankara, as Washington views the SDF as a "reliable partner" in its fight against Daesh and continues to provide it with arms and equipment in the face of strong objections by Turkey.
Macron also hoped that "a dialogue could be established between the SDF and Turkey with the assistance of France and the international community”, despite Turkey's consideration of the group as a terror organization.
The statement also added that France would continue to make efforts with the concerned countries to ensure security and and make progress towards an inclusive political transition in Syria.
The PKK has fought a 33-year war against Turkey that has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Russia-wary U.S. to press NATO allies to hike military spending
- 26.04.2018Croatian police arrest suspect behind global cyber attack platform
- 26.04.2018European powers say nearing plan to save Iran nuclear pact
- 26.04.2018Turkish solider martyred in PKK terror attack
- 25.04.2018German Chancellor Merkel backs Albania’s EU perspective
- 25.04.2018Macron at odds with Trump agenda during Congress speech
- 24.04.2018PACE 'double standard' for postponed polls: Deputy PM
- 24.04.2018Armored vehicle maker BMC wins Turkish battle tank bid
- 24.04.2018PACE calls on Turkey to ‘postpone’ June 24 snap elections
- 24.04.2018CoE may take action against Russia in event of failure to pay a contribution to the budget
- 23.04.2018OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs release statement on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 23.04.2018Former Georgian defense minister jailed for 9 years
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 30.03.2018Russian diplomat summoned in Latvia over planned missile tests
- 30.03.2018Moscow: London given a month to cut number of diplomats in Russia
- 30.03.2018Turkey urges support for Bosnia’s NATO accession bid
- 29.03.2018Ex-French president Sarkozy to stand trial
- 29.03.2018Georgian PM denies reports he will face resignation
- 29.03.2018Georgia expels Russian diplomat in solidarity with UK