French leader promises to support SDF in Syria
The French President recalled “the commitment of France against the PKK and its commitment to the security of Turkey” during his meeting with the PYD/PKK-led SDF delegation, according to a presidency statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting AA.
The written statement by the Elysee Palace said that the delegation briefed Emmanuel Macron on the humanitarian situation in northern Syria.
Stating that Macron assured the SDF of France's support against Daesh, it added the support was particularly for “the stabilization of the security zone in the north-east of Syria, within the framework of an inclusive and balanced governance, to prevent any resurgence of Daesh in the waiting of a political solution to the Syrian conflict”.
Recalling the commitment of his country against the PKK terror group and its commitment to Turkey’s security, he also acknowledged that SDF had “no operational link with this terrorist group”.
The U.S. has supported the PYD/PKK under the name of SDF, which is considered by Ankara as the Syrian offshoot of the PKK terror organization that has waged a more than 30-year war against the Turkish state.
American support for the terror group has long vexed Ankara, as Washington views the SDF as a "reliable partner" in its fight against Daesh and continues to provide it with arms and equipment in the face of strong objections by Turkey.
Macron also hoped that "a dialogue could be established between the SDF and Turkey with the assistance of France and the international community”, despite Turkey's consideration of the group as a terror organization.
The statement also added that France would continue to make efforts with the concerned countries to ensure security and and make progress towards an inclusive political transition in Syria.
The PKK has fought a 33-year war against Turkey that has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 05.02.2015German leader urges E. Africa to copy EU integration
- 05.02.2015Poroshenko, Kerry stress diplomatic solution to Ukraine's conflict
- 05.02.2015Czech Republic speaks out against supplies of weaponry to Ukraine
- 05.02.2015EU to expand sanctions list against Russia
- 05.02.2015Hollande, Merkel to visit Kiev and Moscow
- 05.02.2015Italy against sale of lethal weapons to Ukraine