French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
French President Emmanuel Macron Thursday said Europe should cooperate more in order to be able to tackle future problems as he called on the EU to “ease the burden” of Greece’s sovereign debt while calling for an overhaul of the eurozone, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The French president arrived in Athens Thursday for an official two-day visit, accompanied by his wife and a large delegation of businesspeople.
“If we continue to turn a blind eye we will be the generation responsible for Europe’s death and we have to start with a tough self-criticism,” Macron said.
“If we back down, somebody else will take our place. There is no other continent that defends democracy, freedom and the economy, but there are forces that are not committed to social rights,” he said.
Athens has long called for debt relief, a demand opposed by Berlin.
In a joint news conference, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras and Macron agreed the IMF should have a less important role in European issues.
Regional developments as well as the refugee crisis and Turkey were also discussed.
“It is necessary to maintain the stability and determination in the messages sent by the EU to Turkey," Tsipras said.
“Turkey's accession course is of particular value to Europe, to the Turkish people, but also to the promotion of democratic reforms in Turkey,” he added.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017EU Foreign Policy Chief sees ‘no need’ to renegotiate Iran nuclear agreement
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss Syrian peace plan next week
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 05.09.2017EU will continue talks with Turkey: Mogherini
- 04.09.2017Swiss offers mediation role in N. Korean nuke crisis
- 03.09.2017The German authorities refused Turkey to freezing the accounts of supporters of Gulen
- 03.09.2017Pope tells South Korean faith leaders to promote reconciliation
- 02.09.2017Islamophobic attack targets mosque in Netherlands
- 02.09.2017Erdogan continues telephone diplomacy on Myanmar crisis
- 01.09.2017US Marine Corps’ military arrive in Georgia
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects