Five migrants wounded as shots fired in Calais brawl
Five migrants were wounded on Saturday when shots were fired during a brawl in the northern French port of Calais, the local prefect’s office said.
Gunshots were exchanged between groups of Afghans in the late afternoon, it said.
A police source said the incident occurred during what was probably a dispute between migrant smugglers. The shots were fired near the local Secours Catholique charity on the outskirts of Calais.
Three migrants were being treated in a Calais hospital and a fourth, who was more seriously wounded, had been transferred to a hospital in Lille. A fifth was treated at the scene.
Calais is a magnet for migrants aiming to reach Britain, a short distance across the Channel.
Last year, authorities cleared the makeshift “Jungle” camp in Calais, but people hoping to get into Britain by crossing the Channel in trains or ferries are steadily returning.
Authorities estimate at 500 and associations at 700 the number of migrants from Ethiopia, Eritrea and Afghanistan still in Calais.
Related news releases
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.12.2017Belgium drops Puigdemont extradition case
- 06.12.2017At least 50 are feared wounded after passenger, freight trains collide in Germany - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Turkey, German bank sign deal for training for Syrians
- 05.12.2017Turkish courts convict 10 over FETO links
- 05.12.2017Ukrainian interior minister calls on Saakashvili to abide by law
- 05.12.2017Saakashvili supporters free him from police van after detention in Kiev
- 05.12.2017Erdogan warns to cut ties with Israel if Jerusalem recognized as Israeli capital
- 05.12.2017EU sometimes has hard time contacting US: Official
- 05.12.2017Turkish jets destroy PKK targets in northern Iraq
- 05.12.2017Jordan’s King Abdullah II to visit Turkey on Wednesday
- 04.12.2017No deal in Brexit talks yet, says EU
- 03.12.2017Turkish FM: "Gülen movement has infiltrated U.S. Congress"
- 03.12.2017France's Macron calls on Iraq to dismantle all militias
- 02.12.2017Police clear protesters as Germany's far-right AfD picks new leaders
- 02.12.2017Turkish police arrest 66 terror suspects
- 02.12.2017War crimes convict Praljak took cyanide, Dutch prosecutors say
- 01.12.2017Police conduct special op in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 01.12.2017Car bomb exploded in the suburbs of Barcelona
- 01.12.2017Merkel and Erdogan hold first phone call in months
- 01.12.2017Geneva-8 talks on Syria turned into shuttle talks format
- 30.11.2017Denmark passes law that could ban Nord Stream 2 from going through its waters
- 30.11.2017Ambassador: "Reports on possible resumption of air communication between Turkey and Armenia are not true"
- 26.11.2017Belgian police detain dozens over unrest in Brussels
- 26.11.2017Puigdemont launches Catalan election campaign from Belgium
- 27.11.2017Kiev reacts to Jagland's statement on restoring Russia's voting rights in CoE
- 25.11.2017Erdogan, Macron discuss Sochi summit, Syria on phone
- 25.11.2017Erdogan: "Turkey, Russia to talk Syria more regularly"
- 25.11.2017UK's May remains hopeful for next Brexit phase