Five migrants wounded as shots fired in Calais brawl
Five migrants were wounded on Saturday when shots were fired during a brawl in the northern French port of Calais, the local prefect’s office said.
Gunshots were exchanged between groups of Afghans in the late afternoon, it said.
A police source said the incident occurred during what was probably a dispute between migrant smugglers. The shots were fired near the local Secours Catholique charity on the outskirts of Calais.
Three migrants were being treated in a Calais hospital and a fourth, who was more seriously wounded, had been transferred to a hospital in Lille. A fifth was treated at the scene.
Calais is a magnet for migrants aiming to reach Britain, a short distance across the Channel.
Last year, authorities cleared the makeshift “Jungle” camp in Calais, but people hoping to get into Britain by crossing the Channel in trains or ferries are steadily returning.
Authorities estimate at 500 and associations at 700 the number of migrants from Ethiopia, Eritrea and Afghanistan still in Calais.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 12.05.2018Aircraft crash in Spain's Catalonia leaves 3 people killed
- 12.05.2018Turkish minister warns EU over post-Brexit UK role
- 12.05.2018Police raid night clubs in Tbilisi, arrest 8 people for drug trafficking
- 12.05.2018White House urges 'responsible nations' to press Iran to change behavior
- 12.05.2018UK's May and Trump agree talks needed over Iranian sanctions
- 11.05.2018Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout
- 11.05.2018Turkish president to visit UK on May 13
- 11.05.2018Deputy FM: Georgia, Azerbaijan ensure peace and stability in region
- 11.05.2018Erdogan and Putin discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 10.05.2018Merkel reaffirms commitment to Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018Europe has limited opportunity to preserve nuclear deal, Rouhani tells Macron
- 09.05.2018U.S. to lose after opting out of Iran nuclear deal, Erdoğan says
- 09.05.2018Russian Ambassador to Portugal dies suddenly
- 09.05.2018Turkey: US decision on Iran deal to cause instability
- 08.05.2018Trump did not inform Macron of plans for Iran deal - French president's office
- 08.05.2018UK's Johnson to Trump: Iran deal has weaknesses but don't dump it
- 08.05.2018Germany, France reiterate commitment to Iran nuke deal
- 07.05.2018Erdogan: West cannot bear Turkey’s position in Balkans
- 07.05.20187 detained in operation in predominantly Azerbaijani district in Georgia
- 26.11.2017Belgian police detain dozens over unrest in Brussels
- 26.11.2017Puigdemont launches Catalan election campaign from Belgium
- 27.11.2017Kiev reacts to Jagland's statement on restoring Russia's voting rights in CoE
- 25.11.2017Erdogan, Macron discuss Sochi summit, Syria on phone
- 25.11.2017Erdogan: "Turkey, Russia to talk Syria more regularly"
- 25.11.2017UK's May remains hopeful for next Brexit phase