Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
Firefighters have been working on Saturday to extinguish a wildfire which has already burned 500 hectares of woodland in an area known as sierra de Arroyo de San Servan in the province of Badajoz, southwest Spain, the regional government said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The region is only sparely inhabited with several chalets which are mainly for weekend use.
The fire broke out at around 7:30 p.m. on Friday evening. Seven helicopters and an aircraft are currently aiding firefighters in their tasks. The causes of the fire is so far unknown, but locals expressed their suspicions that it could have been deliberately provoked, explaining "there is a fire in the region every year."
The regional authorities confirmed that a perimeter has been established around the flames, but the fire has yet to be brought under control.
The fire broke out in the middle of a heat wave which has affected southern and central Spain since Thursday and there is an alert for the "extreme" risk of forest fires with temperatures of over 40 degrees centigrade predicted for eight provinces on Saturday and Sunday.
A temperature of 46.9 degrees centigrade was recorded in the southern city of Cordoba on Friday, which beats the previous high of 46.6 degrees.
Meanwhile, the Spanish Metrological Agency reported that an automatic recording station measured a temperature of 47.3 degrees centigrade in a town called Montoro in Cordoba province. Should this be confirmed, it would be the highest temperature ever recorded in Spain, beating the previous record of 47.2 registered in the city of Murcia in July 1994.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Erdogan says West’s embargo plan against Turkey won’t yield any result
- 25.07.2017Erdogan calls on world Muslims over Al-Aqsa Mosque
- 25.07.2017Erdogan: Purchasing S-400 from Russia not 'worrying'
- 25.07.2017NATO steps in to resolve Turkey-Germany dispute
- 25.07.2017Turkey: 9 PKK terrorists killed in Hakkari in a week
- 25.07.2017Israel heads towards isolation says Turkish president
- 24.07.2017Polish president blocks judiciary reforms after days of protests
- 24.07.2017Panic in Swiss town after man with chainsaw attacks people
- 24.07.2017US ambassador highlights importance of Georgian region predominantly populated by Azerbaijanis
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters