Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
Firefighters have been working on Saturday to extinguish a wildfire which has already burned 500 hectares of woodland in an area known as sierra de Arroyo de San Servan in the province of Badajoz, southwest Spain, the regional government said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The region is only sparely inhabited with several chalets which are mainly for weekend use.
The fire broke out at around 7:30 p.m. on Friday evening. Seven helicopters and an aircraft are currently aiding firefighters in their tasks. The causes of the fire is so far unknown, but locals expressed their suspicions that it could have been deliberately provoked, explaining "there is a fire in the region every year."
The regional authorities confirmed that a perimeter has been established around the flames, but the fire has yet to be brought under control.
The fire broke out in the middle of a heat wave which has affected southern and central Spain since Thursday and there is an alert for the "extreme" risk of forest fires with temperatures of over 40 degrees centigrade predicted for eight provinces on Saturday and Sunday.
A temperature of 46.9 degrees centigrade was recorded in the southern city of Cordoba on Friday, which beats the previous high of 46.6 degrees.
Meanwhile, the Spanish Metrological Agency reported that an automatic recording station measured a temperature of 47.3 degrees centigrade in a town called Montoro in Cordoba province. Should this be confirmed, it would be the highest temperature ever recorded in Spain, beating the previous record of 47.2 registered in the city of Murcia in July 1994.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency
- 12.01.2018France launches mini satellite to unravel mysteries of distant planet
- 12.01.2018Ritz robbers dropped bag of jewels
- 11.01.2018UNHCR launches new project for refugees in Turkey
- 11.01.2018Russia knows perpetrators of attack on its bases in Syria, it's not Turkey - Putin
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters