Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
Firefighters have been working on Saturday to extinguish a wildfire which has already burned 500 hectares of woodland in an area known as sierra de Arroyo de San Servan in the province of Badajoz, southwest Spain, the regional government said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The region is only sparely inhabited with several chalets which are mainly for weekend use.
The fire broke out at around 7:30 p.m. on Friday evening. Seven helicopters and an aircraft are currently aiding firefighters in their tasks. The causes of the fire is so far unknown, but locals expressed their suspicions that it could have been deliberately provoked, explaining "there is a fire in the region every year."
The regional authorities confirmed that a perimeter has been established around the flames, but the fire has yet to be brought under control.
The fire broke out in the middle of a heat wave which has affected southern and central Spain since Thursday and there is an alert for the "extreme" risk of forest fires with temperatures of over 40 degrees centigrade predicted for eight provinces on Saturday and Sunday.
A temperature of 46.9 degrees centigrade was recorded in the southern city of Cordoba on Friday, which beats the previous high of 46.6 degrees.
Meanwhile, the Spanish Metrological Agency reported that an automatic recording station measured a temperature of 47.3 degrees centigrade in a town called Montoro in Cordoba province. Should this be confirmed, it would be the highest temperature ever recorded in Spain, beating the previous record of 47.2 registered in the city of Murcia in July 1994.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017UK to suspend its military ties with Myanmar
- 18.09.2017Georgia’s sees 4.7% economic growth in 2Q17
- 17.09.2017Kurdish referendum a 'national security matter' says Turkish PM
- 17.09.2017Ankara summons German ambassador over pro-PKK rally
- 16.09.2017At least four killed in British motorway crash
- 16.09.2017Saakashvili plans to hold rally in front of Verkhovna Rada
- 16.09.2017Poroshenko to discuss situation in Donbas during meeting with Trump
- 16.09.2017At least 88 arrested in anti-drug raids in Turkey
- 16.09.2017Czech foreign minister lightly injured in car accident: ministry
- 16.09.2017Women injured in hammer attack in France
- 15.09.2017London blast is terror incident - police
- 15.09.2017Police evacuate homes near tube station after explosion on train carriage in London
- 15.09.2017Explosion on London underground train leaves at least 20 injured - UPDATED
- 15.09.2017Lawyer of Turkey’s main opposition CHP detained in Gulen probe
- 15.09.2017EU must change its view of Turkey: Turkish FM
- 15.09.2017Catalonia launches campaign for independence referendum
- 14.09.2017Another Azerbaijani nominated for post of head of executive authority in Georgia
- 14.09.2017UK Foreign Secretary Johnson to hold talks with U.S.' Tillerson in London
- 14.09.2017Paris, LA confirmed as 2024, 2028 Olympic hosts
- 13.09.2017Saakashvili announces rally in Ukraine’s Chernivtsi
- 13.09.2017Juncker: No new member in EU by 2019
- 12.09.2017Erdogan comments on allegations on his talk with Assad
- 12.09.2017Macron's labour reforms face protests across France
- 12.09.2017One million march in Barcelona for Catalan independence
- 12.09.2017Norway's right-wing government seems set for re-election-projections
- 11.09.2017US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State visits Georgia
- 11.09.2017Georgian foreign minister to visit Armenia
- 10.09.2017About 70 people arrested in UK during protests against major arms fair
- 09.09.2017Erdogan, Trump agree to meet during UN assembly - UPDATED
- 09.09.2017NATO Agile Spirit 2017 military exercises underway in Georgia
- 09.09.2017Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PKK attack
- 08.09.2017Saakashvili vows to return to Ukraine with ‘thousands’ of supporters
- 08.09.2017French leader calls for eurozone overhaul in Athens
- 07.09.2017Turkish court released German citizen
- 07.09.2017Catalan parliament approves law to call referendum on independence
- 07.09.2017Spanish, Moroccan police arrest 6 terror cell suspects
- 06.09.2017North Korea's actions demand 'unified response' says NATO
- 05.09.2017Merkel, Trump call for tougher U.N. sanctions against North Korea
- 05.09.2017EU will continue talks with Turkey: Mogherini
- 04.09.2017Swiss offers mediation role in N. Korean nuke crisis
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters