Fifteen injured as gas canister explodes in Geneva restaurant
Fifteen people were injured when a gas canister exploded at a crowded Geneva restaurant Saturday, blowing out windows and spraying diners with shards of glass, rescue workers said, The Local reported.
The explosion at Italian restaurant Les Tilleuls near the centre of the Swiss city happened in the middle of the lunchtime rush, with the alarm going off at 1.18pm, rescue services captain Frederic Jaques told, APA reports quoting AFP.
"It appears to have been an accident. A small gas canister exploded," he said, adding that Geneva forensic police were investigating the cause of the explosion.
The exploding canister had been attached to a small blowtorch used to make crème brûlée and similar desserts.
"The volume of gas was quite small, but the blow-back effect was impressive," Jaques said.
The kitchen area had been completely destroyed, and two people working there at the time of the explosion had suffered burns.
The restaurant's windows were meanwhile blown out, spewing glass across a crowded terrace.
In all, 15 people were injured, including eight who were sent to hospital, Jaques said, adding that no one had suffered life-threatening injuries.
A full 21 firefighters and other rescue workers, in 12 vehicles, took part in the operation to secure the area and five ambulances also rushed to the scene.
Jaques said accidents involving exploding gas ca;nisters happened from time to time, but that they were rare in a restaurant setting.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Turkish, US treasury chiefs to meet at G20 event
- 22.07.2018One person killed in Norwegian gyrocopter crash:
- 21.07.2018UK detains 2 Dutch nationals for importing 1.6 tons of cocaine
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 09.04.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 10.04.20184,044 terrorists 'neutralized' in Afrin op: Deputy PM
- 10.04.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in southeastern Turkey
- 08.04.2018Catalan Parliament Speaker Proposes Again to Nominate Sanchez as President
- 07.04.2018UK police arrest suspected terrorist supporter at Gatwick airport
- 07.04.20184,000 terrorists neutralized in Afrin: Erdogan