European Parliament President: "New UK government could reverse Brexit"
President of the European Parliament Antonio Tajani says Brexit (the United Kingdom leaving the European Union) could be reversed if the stance of the British government shifts after the elections, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"If tomorrow, the new UK government decides to change its position, it is possible to do," Tajani told The Guardian on Thursday, adding that "The final decision is for the 27 [EU] member states, but everybody will be in favour if the UK [decides to reverse article 50]."
On Wednesday, the UK House of Commons backed Prime Minister Theresa May's bid for an early general election on June 8. May said the snap election was aimed at overcoming divisions in parliament, succeeding in Brexit negotiations with the European Union, and ensuring stability in the country.
"If the UK, after the election, wants to withdraw [article 50], then the procedure is very clear," Tajani said, adding that "If the UK wanted to stay, everybody would be in favour."
Member of the UK parliament's Committee on Exiting the European Union from the Labour Party, Stephen Timms, told Sputnik on Thursday that the snap election in the United Kingdom is more likely to delay Brexit negotiations with the European Union than it is to ensure stability in the country.
On Wednesday, London Mayor Sadiq Khan urged UK citizens to vote for the Labour Party in order to both avoid a "hard Brexit," and ensure a mutually beneficial agreement with Europe on the single market and migration policy.
London is expected to finish Brexit negotiations before March 29, 2019.
Related news releases
- 23.07.2017Strong aftershocks test nerves on Greek Island after powerful earthquake rocks Greece and Turkey
- 22.07.2017Turkish FM denies investigation claims on German firms
- 22.07.2017Turkish, German FMs speak on phone
- 22.07.2017Four German women who joined Islamic State detained in Iraq
- 21.07.20172 dead in Greece earthquake
- 21.07.2017Polish opposition calls for shortening mandates in parliament’s lower house
- 20.07.2017Turkish FM blasts German travel warning
- 20.07.2017Turkey blasts Greek FM for statement on Cyprus
- 20.07.2017Brent crude falls after surpassing $50 per barrel for first time since June
- 20.07.2017Turkish deputy PM condemns remarks by German FM
- 20.07.2017No quick results in Brexit talks, negotiators say
- 19.07.2017Turkish man jailed for insulting Ataturk
- 19.07.2017Binali Yildirim "Until the last terrorist in this territory is killed, we will resolutely continue our fight against terrorism"
- 19.07.2017Ankara urges EU to speed up Bloc's accession process
- 18.07.2017Energy Union unlikely to be bound by EU borders - EU Commission Vice-President
- 18.07.2017Russian S-400 systems' delivery contract with Turkey ready, loan being discussed
- 18.07.2017FIFA Vice President arrested in corruption operation
- 18.07.2017Poroshenko vows to restore sovereignty over Donbass after Malorossiya proposal
- 18.07.2017Iranian president's brother freed on bail: media
- 18.07.2017NATO to hold exercises in Georgia
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends troop deployment in Lebanon's UN force
- 17.07.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 16.07.2017Turkish Security Council to consider state of emergency extension in Turkey
- 16.07.2017Turkish president: “We know who our friend is and who our enemy is”
- 16.07.2017Erdogan vows not to let defeated coup be forgotten
- 15.07.2017France calls for swift lifting of sanctions on Qatari nationals
- 15.07.2017EU to finance construction of 7th bridge on Tajik-Afghan border
- 15.07.2017Fire destroys 500 hectares close to Spanish city of Badajoz as heat wave continues
- 15.07.2017Erdogan: West should either stand by terrorists or try to win Turkish people’s trust again
- 15.07.2017U.N. ends round of Syria talks with focus on fight against terrorism
- 15.07.2017Erdogan reiterates firm stance against coup plotters
- 15.07.2017Turkish state reinstates hundreds of civil servants
- 15.07.2017Turkey marks first anniversary of failed July 15 coup attempt
- 14.07.2017Erdogan says he favors extension of emergency rule in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Erdogan: Turkey outdoes West in terms of human rights
- 14.07.2017Deputy PM: On night of 15 July 2016, Turkey faced greatest betrayal in its history
- 14.07.2017Ambassador: Had coup attempt in Turkey succeeded, there would’ve been instability throughout region
- 14.07.2017Security incident at US Consulate in Istanbul, 1 detained
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling AKP urges 160 countries where FETO network operates to be careful
- 14.07.2017Turkey’s ruling party says July 15 coup attempt was backed by foreign forces
- 21.04.2017Governor of Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli, densely populated by Azerbaijanis, may quit
- 21.04.2017Poland wants to bring Smolensk plane crash before Int’l Court of Justice
- 21.04.2017CMO chairman meets with Georgian parliamentary chairman
- 21.04.2017Erdogan says Trump will do what Obama failed to do
- 21.04.2017New shots fired near Paris Champs-Eysees avenue - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017One police officer killed, another wounded in Paris shooting