Europe has limited opportunity to preserve nuclear deal, Rouhani tells Macron
Europe has a “limited opportunity” to preserve the nuclear deal with Tehran, Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani told French President Emmanuel Macron in a phone call on Wednesday, according to the Iranian Students’ News Agency, APA reports quoting Reuters.
“Under the current conditions, Europe has a very limited opportunity to preserve the nuclear deal, and must, as quickly as possible, clarify its position and specify and announce its intentions with regard to its obligations,” ISNA quoted Rouhani as telling Macron in the phone call.
Macron traveled to the United States in late April in an attempt to convince U.S. President Donald Trump not to withdraw from the nuclear deal.
Rouhani told Macron that Iran’s rights under the deal related to the selling of oil, banking, investment and insurance must be “guaranteed” in a transparent and clear way, ISNA reported.
Foreign companies who have contracts with Iran must also announce their decision after Trump’s withdrawal from the deal, Rouhani told Macron, according to ISNA.
He also said Iran has met its obligations under the deal and has never enriched uranium for a weapons program.
In a speech on Tuesday, Trump said the nuclear deal would allow Iran to enrich uranium to “reach the brink of a nuclear breakout.”
“Despite what Trump thinks, enrichment in Iran has never been for obtaining a nuclear weapon but instead has been for scientific and technical pursuits,” Rouhani told Macron, according to ISNA.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Ireland votes in support of repealing anti-abortion law
- 26.05.2018Turkish president urges citizens to convert dollar to national Lira
- 26.05.2018Poland says EU needs more 'empathy' toward U.S. over Iran deal
- 26.05.2018Turkish, US officials outline roadmap for Manbij, Syria
- 25.05.2018Macron: US embassy relocation to Jerusalem was a ‘wrong step’
- 25.05.2018Tbilisi’s Rose Revolution square, Mirhasan Vazirov st. renamed
- 25.05.2018France would like Russia to remain in Council of Europe – Macron
- 24.05.2018Putin, Macron discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal
- 24.05.2018Britain disappointed after Trump cancels North Korea summit: UK PM May
- 24.05.2018Turkey slams French magazine slandering Erdogan
- 24.05.2018Train derailment in northern Italy kills 2, over a dozen Injured
- 23.05.2018Turkey has means to curtail currency shifts: President
- 23.05.2018Yulia Skripal - Attempted assassination turned my world upside down
- 22.05.2018UK calls refusal from Iran nuclear deal catastrophe
- 22.05.2018UK Foreign Secretary remarks effectiveness of US Sanctions against Russia
- 22.05.2018German foreign minister says to meet with Pompeo over Iran deal
- 22.05.2018Pentagon warns of taking necessary steps against Iran
- 22.05.2018Erdogan: Turkey to not give up on Jerusalem
- 21.05.2018PKK terrorists on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 10.05.2018Merkel reaffirms commitment to Iran nuclear deal
- 11.05.2018Erdogan and Putin discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 11.05.2018Deputy FM: Georgia, Azerbaijan ensure peace and stability in region
- 09.05.2018U.S. to lose after opting out of Iran nuclear deal, Erdoğan says
- 09.05.2018Russian Ambassador to Portugal dies suddenly
- 09.05.2018Turkey: US decision on Iran deal to cause instability